PDA

View Full Version : civic type r

stevie69
Thursday 11th November 2010, 10:38
what would my chances be against one of these?its the newer one with the triangle tailpipes and apparently its tuned.mine has the rica 304.theres a guy at my work keeps bumming about how quik his car is..

volvokid
Thursday 11th November 2010, 10:42
Ive bet two in a standard V70R and i had a washing machine in my boot once

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 11th November 2010, 10:47
what would my chances be against one of these?its the newer one with the triangle tailpipes and apparently its tuned.mine has the rica 304.theres a guy at my work keeps bumming about how quik his car is..
Get him on a quarter mile drag strip & let's find out?

What ever you do - do not race on the public highway!!

BruceT
Thursday 11th November 2010, 10:50
Civic will be vastly superior in the twisties and braking department but you will have longer gearing.

07> isnt that much lighter than a 850 T5.

Civic only has 190nm stock and it wont be developed over as much as the rev range as the your mapped T5 which should in excess 370-400nm from 3k to about 5500rpm.

Al115
Thursday 11th November 2010, 11:22
Depends on the drivers.

wegal
Thursday 11th November 2010, 11:53
Never had a problem against one, they seem pretty slow to me, bit quicker to 30, but after that its an easy kill.

Murphy
Thursday 11th November 2010, 12:29
Depends on the drivers.

This.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 11th November 2010, 12:52
They are very nippy - so to speak. I am a moderately fat £££££££ and can also run quite fast - but it takes me a while to build momentum (brakes a bit dicey too - so don't get in the way): this is a fundamental demonstration of why the 850 and the Civic perform differently. 850 = fat £££££££, Civic = skinny git.

He will run out of steam before you though. But save it for the strip.

martybelfastt5
Thursday 11th November 2010, 13:41
my freind has one it is quick tho that paticular typeR is slower than an ep3 typeR have had a mile dual with an 05 ep3 also a freind and left him sitting from top end of second and full third and fourth,and yes private road /airstrip,standard manual t5r
intrestingly we are planning another day of drags at this location with all freinds in attenndance inc
integra type r 99
civic typer 05
civic typeR 09
evo 6 99
evo mr 05
vectra vxr 08
850 t5r 95
just to see who has the quickest of cars lol they are all mainly standard.

t5_monkey
Thursday 11th November 2010, 13:58
Best bet is a rolling start up to as higher speed as you can.

If yours is chipped and in good condition, you should have the edge once rolling - especially at higher speeds as yours is the heavier more powerful car.

Your in gear torque will see him off - esp if he's not perfect at shifting the cogs.

Civic will prob get a better takeoff if going from a standstill.

Everyone slags then for no torque, but put a decent driver behind the wheel and they're certainly not slow.

LiamT4
Thursday 11th November 2010, 16:11

Depends on what mods it has. I'v embarressed a 59 plate type r in my s70r (when it was standard) and mines an auto.

Get him to go to a 1/4mile next year and you'll find out.

p fandango
Thursday 11th November 2010, 16:15
on the 1/4mile it'll be a walk over, we had a Volvo day at the Pod before & clashed with aload of Type-R. Some of them had quite a lot of money spent on them (supercharged) & lost

T5frankie
Thursday 11th November 2010, 16:18
the new type r is slower than the old one ive raced a few and its neck and neck with a standard v70 t5 up to 130 then it by bye your car is remapped so it wont stand a chance mate

LiamT4
Thursday 11th November 2010, 16:24
on the 1/4mile it'll be a walk over, we had a Volvo day at the Pod before & clashed with aload of Type-R. Some of them had quite a lot of money spent on them (supercharged) & lost

That reminds me, of the couple of standard typr r's i'v seen on the 1/4mile they are a late 15's car.

t5_monkey
Thursday 11th November 2010, 17:42
That reminds me, of the couple of standard typr r's i'v seen on the 1/4mile they are a late 15's car.

they really that slow? that's disappointing... do you remember what terminal speeds they were scoring?

T5frankie
Thursday 11th November 2010, 17:48
they really that slow? that's disappointing... do you remember what terminal speeds they were scoring?

a 15 second standard road car isnt really that slow is it mate that still 0-60 in 7 secs or so

bonelorry
Thursday 11th November 2010, 18:36
Not a Civic type R but I had an Integra Type R last summer and on a twisty high speed section of road i was glued to my friends S70R which was Rica mapped......from 60-100mph there wasnt a deal in it.

On the motorway i would get murdered by the Volvo but wheres the fun in that??

Im neither for or against either car, They both have good a bad points but are very different cars built for very different purposes and really shouldnt be compared.

leet5r
Thursday 11th November 2010, 20:43
Not a Civic type R but I had an Integra Type R last summer and on a twisty high speed section of road i was glued to my friends S70R which was Rica mapped......from 60-100mph there wasnt a deal in it.

On the motorway i would get murdered by the Volvo but wheres the fun in that??

Im neither for or against either car, They both have good a bad points but are very different cars built for very different purposes and really shouldnt be compared.

a local lad has a 247bhp civic type r and its a monster round the bends, a friends 400bhp r32 gtr couldnt get near him

martybelfastt5
Thursday 11th November 2010, 20:53
any typeR round twistys would be stuck to a t5 if not in front as they are race bred and set up for track way more than any 850/s70 ect straight line different story

T5frankie
Thursday 11th November 2010, 20:56
the japanese only civic type r is a saloon only with 222bhp and 163mph

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Honda-Civic/225140/

Flatout Phil
Thursday 11th November 2010, 21:00
I wasn't driving my 998cc Imp (about 85bhp) when this incident happened (back in 1990) but my chum James had borrowed it, and run it halfway to Brighton on the backroads and had a newish example of that well known chav-machine - an XR3i - on his tail. Running hard through some winding bits, James observed the said car on his tail disappear through a hedge. He turned round and found the unamused owner of said XR3i stranded with his car in a ploughed field. James beat a retreat.
So a well driven, well set-up car can run rings round what on paper should be the faster car. Mind you, to give you some idea of the performance of that Imp, it was as fast than an XR2 - which was some going for a 1967 machine in those days.
But all these old boy-racer cars were SO much slower than they are today - happy days.

t5_monkey
Thursday 11th November 2010, 21:13
a 15 second standard road car isnt really that slow is it mate that still 0-60 in 7 secs or so

Your right of course, I'm comparing to modified motors, although I met someone with a fettled DC5 who did the 1/4 in 14.5 @101 i think which is pretty quick.

I used to be into power - Nowadays I'm erring towards a well set up car that's fairly quick, and good fun on the twists.

Not sure if I'd want to drive one every day - do like the sound of the screaming engine in the Type R when I'm in the mood.

gmain1967
Thursday 11th November 2010, 21:26
Like someone else said, depends on what "modified" really means. I've seen modified Subarus with 400bhp, that would be destroyed by Andy Forrest's old "modified" Impreza, with around 900bhp, and still road legal.

There's modified, and there's modified. Whether it be a Volvo, a Civic Type R or anything...

Would be nice to know the specs of both and get a match up, and see it as a clip - lol!!

lewton
Friday 12th November 2010, 10:04
Made the biggest mistake of my life with my TVR Griff,spent a fortune on the engine,lightened and balanced bottom end,stealth cam,twin throttle bodies and all the trick bits,well over 300 hp and just over a ton.Regretfully neglected the suspension and brakes which were thought to be up to the job,didn't even dawn on me that they were 17 years old by now.On hindsight the car was barely diveable unless condition were right,ie dry,and the tyres were well warmed up,as a result of this on a spirited drive home one night a tyre let go in the twisty bits and tilted me into three boats which were laid up for the winter alongside a harbour,huge accident! and bloody expensive,cost me my licence for a year also, and a £1000 fine.

Moral of the story,big hp is great,but get the basics right first:ashamed:
Know what I'll be doing with my T5R

t5_monkey
Friday 12th November 2010, 16:07
Made the biggest mistake of my life with my TVR Griff,spent a fortune on the engine,lightened and balanced bottom end,stealth cam,twin throttle bodies and all the trick bits,well over 300 hp and just over a ton.Regretfully neglected the suspension and brakes which were thought to be up to the job,didn't even dawn on me that they were 17 years old by now.On hindsight the car was barely diveable unless condition were right,ie dry,and the tyres were well warmed up,as a result of this on a spirited drive home one night a tyre let go in the twisty bits and tilted me into three boats which were laid up for the winter alongside a harbour,huge accident! and bloody expensive,cost me my licence for a year also, and a £1000 fine.

Moral of the story,big hp is great,but get the basics right first:ashamed:
Know what I'll be doing with my T5R

Wow that must have been some crash....

... how did it cost you your licence... would be tricky for them to prove you were doing anything wrong?

lewton
Friday 12th November 2010, 16:36
My two dogs were in the car at the time,and one of them got hurt during the accident,the vet was just across the road,so I thought bugger the car,the accident effectively happened on private land,I'm taking the dog to the vet,big mistake!Got very involved from a legal point of view,after that,as effectively I had left the scene of the accident,it was a six month saga,which ended with the police appointing a prosecutor,virtually unheard of for motoring cases,who totally murdered me in court,to add insult to injury they brought in a charge of careless driving on the morning of the trial,which obviously I wasn't prepared for.So a combination of that,an elderly woman magistrate and a duty legal aid lawyer I was crucified lol.Prior to that the police had let themselves into my property to photograph the car,without as much as asking,and it was found out the charging officer was a co owner of the land where the crash happened,the car wasn't checked for roadworthyness by the authoraties,so all in all it was a complete circus!

If any of you are driving in Jersey be aware that there is a zero tollerance policy on any sort of illegal activity!

stevie69
Friday 12th November 2010, 16:40
he showed me a pic on his phone of his speedo reading 172mph.

lewton
Friday 12th November 2010, 16:43
Apologies to OP for hijacking your thread

Jim S70R
Thursday 25th November 2010, 22:13
Civic type R vs remapped t5....

I've worked for Honda for ten years now and as nice as the type R range is modified or not it would'nt stand a chance against a remapped t5.

Phuturephantasy
Thursday 25th November 2010, 22:19
If you have a race make it a hillclimb event rather than a flat track and watch the lack of torque in the Honda annihilate his flat times.

doug kyle
Thursday 25th November 2010, 22:53
First question is what has been done to his type R????
K20 = 197bhp & 150lb's ft torque std = 15sec 1/4 mile.
Nasp with exhaust Manifold, full exhaust system, intake manifold, bigger cams, bigger throttle body, fueling, mapped right hondata should be good for 220 / 250bhp at a push along with 160 / 170lb's ft torque = 14s 1/4 mile times.
Jackson racing supercharger = 280 / 300bhp 13s 1/4 mile times.
Turbo'd your in trouble big time anything up to 350 / 400 no prob's built right,
2.4 bottom end bored out up to 1,000bhp good for 10s 1/4 miles.

Phuturephantasy
Friday 26th November 2010, 08:31
Unless he's thrown a LOT of money at it and gone forced induction it should be a walk in the park in a straight line race over anything greater than 1/8m.

LiamT4
Friday 26th November 2010, 16:03
[QUOTE=doug kyle;347248]First question is what has been done to his type R????
K20 = 197bhp & 150lb's ft torque std = 15sec 1/4 mile.
QUOTE]

As i'v already said, Of the 4 (standard) type Rs, that i remember seeing at variouse 1/4mile events, i'v not seen 1 run less than 15.5.

My last lightly modded t4, used to p*** all over them lol

JelT5
Friday 26th November 2010, 16:47
I got completely destroyed by an '09 Civic last summer- I ran a 14.8@ 94, Civic ran a 14.2@ 101.
That's a very large distance on the strip.
Gutted :(

T5frankie
Friday 26th November 2010, 16:53
I got completely destroyed by an '09 Civic last summer- I ran a 14.8@ 94, Civic ran a 14.2@ 101.

not a standard one

LiamT4
Friday 26th November 2010, 19:27

I doubt that was a standard car as they are supposed to be around 16.5 to 100mph and that 1 has reached 101 in 14.1.
A friend had one of the older shape type rs and we timed it at 16.2 to 100mph (on the clock as well, so not actually 100mph) and that was the last shape, which are supposed to be a tiny bit quicker, because of the weight.

t5_monkey
Friday 26th November 2010, 22:06
I met someone with a DC5 that had it rolling roaded at 240bhp

did 1/4 at crail in 14.2 @ 101