PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Mare

nikgallagher
Saturday 16th July 2005, 22:27
Have finally given up after several hours of toil trying to right the bodge I managed when replacing the fuel filter on my 96 854 today. In hindsight (such a wonderful thing) I wouldn't bung the hoses with wooden dowells again, as they swelled up a treat and became stuck. After drilling them out got the new filter on but the upstream hose end is now leaking. I think all my prodding has ruined the seal. Jubilee clip just made things worse so have left it to slowly leak 40 sovs worth of petrol out overnight. Joy. I wish parts depts were open on sundays.
Enough of the whinging now. Has anyone replaced the section of hose that leads to the fuel filter? It seems to veer off up behind the fuel tank but not sure if it is the same one that pops out under the metal cover in the boot compartment. Looks like it will be a tricky one to replace, so it would be coolio if someone else has tackled this job and has some pearls of wisdom to offer. Going to get some dinner now. The smell of petrol is lingering all around.
By the way, cheers for beingn my 'phone a friend' earlier Justin! Had got to the point where I was about to stick my boot through the beeeatch, so your calming words did the trick!

swordy21
Saturday 16th July 2005, 23:37
OOOhhh was planning this one next week. Maybe not now......Anyone for a pint?

Justin
Sunday 17th July 2005, 00:11
No worries mate, hope it gets sorted, just wish i could help more, however ive never changed one :(

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 17th July 2005, 06:59
I borrowed the correct removal tools when I did mine - main nightmare was that the holder was rusted up - so I replaced it with cable ties. I will happily do yours Jon if you want?

TangoDeltaSierra3
Sunday 17th July 2005, 11:23
I borrowed the correct removal tools when I did mine - main nightmare was that the holder was rusted up - so I replaced it with cable ties. I will happily do yours Jon if you want?Dave your a glutton for punishment, but your a STAR mate.

nikgallagher
Sunday 17th July 2005, 19:13
The job itself is no probs, just don't use wooden pegs to bung the hoses! In hindsight I would either use a rag, or not bother. I got more fuel on me fannying about afterwards that I would have done if I just left it open. They are just pull off and push on quick-fit. Had a bit of grief getting the securing strap off like Dave, but not too bad really.
I am considering chopping the q-fit off and trying to jubilee the hose end on to the filter until I can get the part from volvo. Think that might be a MOT failure though. We'll see. I'll keep you posted with the progress. Anyone got a time-machine I can borrow for zero seconds?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 18th July 2005, 00:23
Only be an MOT fail if it leaks. To be honest I lost so little fuel out of the lines I never considered putting bungs in the junctions.

nikgallagher
Tuesday 19th July 2005, 09:18
Update
Made the trip up to North London yesterday to buy a new fuel line (tank-to-filter) from the only volvo delaer in the south of england to have it in stock. Feeling brave I went about changing it over with the help of my very kind and calming dad. Just over three hours later we packed up the tools and had a brew to celebrate a job well done. A tricky little job which involved, among other things, dropping the fuel tank and ingesting a huge amount of underbody debris through my eyes, nose and mouth. Very fiddly job but managable, so if anyone is planning on changing this hose, drop me a pm and I'll elaborate on the procedure a bit more.
Morals of the story are to not bother bunging the hoses when changing the fuel filter, and the 'quick-release' couplings need to pressed back in the right way or they will get very upset and not budge. Nik

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 19th July 2005, 10:38
Well done on your perserverance.