PDA

View Full Version : Bigger turbo or hybrid?

LiamT4
Sunday 7th November 2010, 15:45
Come on then people, persuade me to keep my s70r!
I would like peoples view on which would be better for me to get - bigger turbo (e.g 19t) or a hybrid (like on smithness car).

Obviously it would be cheaper and simpler to get a normal 19t and get it fitted, but as my car is a 4spd auto i'm concerned out how much lag it would have (has enough on the normal 16t), so was wondering if it would be worth spending the extra on a hybrid?

For a start i would just upgrade the fuel pump, injectors and some sort of boost controller, but would either turbo need a custom map or would they give sufficient gains without it.

Remember though, for me outright power isn't as important as having a good spread of power though the revs, like on wobbly daves car, so about 270-280bhp@wheels.

Cheers.

Ps, i know that the exhaust manifold and DP may need doing to get the turbo to fit.

smithy
Sunday 7th November 2010, 16:09
the standard fuel pump is good enough mate for that sort of power mate.i would go 18/19t or hybrid like hamish/hlm hybrid and get a 3in downpipe and full exhaust with racecat.then full remap but first i would try a good quality mbc and turn that 16t up to 18 psi and see what you think then mate.it will make a big difference

LiamT4
Sunday 7th November 2010, 16:24
I was thinking that because its still on the original fuel pump, that i may as well have an uprated fuel pump.
It needs more than an mbc for me to keep it though mate, i want something that'll do the 1/4mile in the very low 14's.

Santa
Sunday 7th November 2010, 16:37
I was thinking that because its still on the original fuel pump, that i may as well have an uprated fuel pump.
It needs more than an mbc for me to keep it though mate, i want something that'll do the 1/4mile in the very low 14's.

Not sure 280bhp in that car will be enough for very low 14's? (Probaby wrong as there are other factors than all out power).

EDIT:Miss read....at the wheels not flywheel.

T5frankie
Sunday 7th November 2010, 16:38
remember if you have a larger turbo you will have loads of turbo lag as you have an auto, bigger turbos will come on boost higher up the rev range, i also cant believe you aint tried an mbc yet massive difference you will love it if you can stop the front wheels spinning lol

Santa
Sunday 7th November 2010, 16:43
Will you be "Power launching" the car? How strong are the auto boxes in these S70's?

Santa
Sunday 7th November 2010, 16:51
Liam.....just a thought as I know this was a concern before....whats your budget? and whats your best time so far?

Just wondering how far an improvement in a Stage 0 + MBC + Tyres (and even wheels) + minor weight reduction might make

LiamT4
Sunday 7th November 2010, 16:54
Will you be "Power launching" the car? How strong are the auto boxes in these S70's?

No, tried it once and it felt horrible, think the car punished me too as it wasn't my fastest time!
My fastest time was a 15.1 when the car was running 214@wheels, so with another 60bhpish it would hopefully take nearly a second off.

Don't think that the car needs a stage 0 as the engine is A1 (thats why i think i should keep it).

Re: budget, id like to keep it to about 1k but have no idea if thats possible. Id imagine it would be with a 2nd hand 19t(etc) but don't know where i'd get a hybrid from.

T5frankie
Sunday 7th November 2010, 16:55
No, tried it once and it felt horrible, think the car punished me too as it wasn't my fastest time!
My fastest time was a 15.1 when the car was running 214@wheels, so with another 60bhpish it would hopefully take nearly a second off

its the torque not the bhp you need to concentate on

JelT5
Sunday 7th November 2010, 17:05

They're not that strong- you'll get maybe 50-60 power launches and then it'll die. I speak from bitter and expensive experience here!

Liam I ran a 14.6@96mph in my '98 P1 V70 with a cone filter/ HLM304/RIP and catback mate but with a power start. Mostly ran 14.8/14.9.
The thing the slushboxes don't like is loads of torque- you'd need to get a map that lowers the torque for a split second on shifts: I spoke to Mark at European tuning in Holland and their maps (MTE afaik) take care of the autobox well, by lowering the torque for milliseconds on shifts
If I'd kept the V70 I'd have gone for that mate.

HTH

smithy
Sunday 7th November 2010, 17:06
My fastest time was a 15.1 when the car was running 214@wheels, so with another 60bhpish it would hopefully take nearly a second off.

Don't think that the car needs a stage 0 as the engine is A1 (thats why i think i should keep it).

Re: budget, id like to keep it to about 1k but have no idea if thats possible. Id imagine it would be with a 2nd hand 19t(etc) but don't know where i'd get a hybrid from.

try a mbc mate and have a go because the 16t is a good turbo with plenty of torque and if you fit a bigger oilcooler then the box will be fine jamest5r miss darcys 850 pulled a 14.6 at that car was standard apart from a 304 map

LiamT4
Sunday 7th November 2010, 17:09
They're not that strong- you'll get maybe 50-60 power launches and then it'll die. I speak from bitter and expensive experience here!

Liam I ran a 14.6@96mph in my '98 P1 V70 with a cone filter/ HLM304 and catback mate but with a power start. Mostly ran 14.8/14.9.
The thing the slushboxes don't like is loads of torque- you'd need to get a map that lowers the torque for a split second on shifts: I spoke to Mark at European tuning in Holland and their maps (MTE afaik) take care of the autobox well, by lowering the torque for milliseconds on shifts
If I'd kept the V70 I'd have gone for that mate.

HTH

Cheers, if i decide to go through with this then i would be getting an extra cooler for the box to help and before it gets properly mapped i would be running lower boost. But that does sound like a worthwile map to have.

LiamT4
Sunday 7th November 2010, 17:16
Was also thinking of using an EBC for controlling the boost, then i could run it lower for normal driving and help save the engine and box.

JelT5
Sunday 7th November 2010, 17:19
Like Smithy says the 16T is a bloody good turbo; you do get lots of lag with the bigger ones and it takes even more cash on mods to get rid of that lag!
16T/ full 3" system/ decent map/ RIP and maybe a few other mods will get you going well mate. Ask ChrisS70T5- he got just over 300 bhp with his 16T set up although his car is a manual.

smithy
Sunday 7th November 2010, 17:29
try a mbc before the the ebc its nice and cheap and you will see a big improvement mate then save your pennys and go for exhaust ,3in outlet on 16t or get a 18t/19t but if you put a 3in tb on and larger r.i.p kit will reduce the lag alot and the turbo will spool up quicker also.

t5 pete
Sunday 7th November 2010, 18:36
the best thing to do is a manual conversion as the auto box is only going to hld you back and its no good having loads of bhp and no tourque and vise versa

LiamT4
Sunday 7th November 2010, 19:00
Unfortunatly thats not an option for me, but i'd prefer an auto for everyday use any way.
As i'v said, its not big power i want just more usable power, 270-280bhp@wheels and around 400-420nm.

leo77
Sunday 7th November 2010, 19:04
I reckon you'll be changing your autobox quite often with those sort of figures, my brother in law has put two in his v70 in the last year and all his has is a remap, but he does drive it hard everywhere he goes.