PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust de-cat

The Flying Moose
Friday 5th November 2010, 21:31
Ok as most of you will know my 850 is being treated with a jamest5r style budget, with mainly secondhand components and cheap and effective modifications.

I was wondering whether removing the cat on the standard "suitcase" exhaust would be worthwhile.

Im assuming you just cut it out with a grinder then weld or clamp in a new pipe.

Has anyone done this before? Is it worthwhile for the sake of the cost of a piece of pipe?

nobananas
Friday 5th November 2010, 22:24
By removing the cat you are basically removing a restriction in the exhaust system so yes it is a worthwhile 'free' mod. It will of course be a likely issue if the car is to be used on the road at mot time.

The Flying Moose
Friday 5th November 2010, 22:29
By removing the cat you are basically removing a restriction in the exhaust system so yes it is a worthwhile 'free' mod. It will of course be a likely issue if the car is to be used on the road at mot time.

Thanks, the MOT front is covered so im not massively worried about that.

Do you know what type of metal is used to make the standard exhausts? Is it aluminium?

nobananas
Friday 5th November 2010, 22:32
Just mild steel mate, mig weld it in !

The Flying Moose
Friday 5th November 2010, 22:35
Just mild steel mate, mig weld it in !

Time to do some measuring....!

Just need to find somebody with welding equipment now as I no longer have a welder.

Jamest5r
Friday 5th November 2010, 23:03
Ok as most of you will know my 850 is being treated with a jamest5r style budget, with mainly secondhand components and cheap and effective modifications.

I was wondering whether removing the cat on the standard "suitcase" exhaust would be worthwhile.

Im assuming you just cut it out with a grinder then weld or clamp in a new pipe.

Has anyone done this before? Is it worthwhile for the sake of the cost of a piece of pipe?

Cheeky git lol, when i have a forged block and t35 next spring ill sell you my 18t just to keep my costs down lol.

What you want to do is get the cat cut out and a straight pipe welded in should cost about 50quid ish unless you can find a welder to borrow, well worth doing as the cat is very restrictive, then get a cat back system or cut the suitcate out of yours and get something smaller in place.

The Flying Moose
Friday 5th November 2010, 23:51
Cheeky git lol, when i have a forged block and t35 next spring ill sell you my 18t just to keep my costs down lol.

What you want to do is get the cat cut out and a straight pipe welded in should cost about 50quid ish unless you can find a welder to borrow, well worth doing as the cat is very restrictive, then get a cat back system or cut the suitcate out of yours and get something smaller in place.

Sorry lol :hidesbehi

No offense meant.... you said it yourself many time mate!

Sure ill buy it off you when your done with it, let me know ;)

So you think an exhaust place will do it for me for £50? If so awesome can get that for the cat if I were to sell it.

leet5r
Friday 5th November 2010, 23:53
has any 1 took the big sliencer out aswell as the cat on the standard exhaust

Jamest5r
Saturday 6th November 2010, 00:06
Sorry lol :hidesbehi

No offense meant.... you said it yourself many time mate!

Sure ill buy it off you when your done with it, let me know ;)

So you think an exhaust place will do it for me for £50? If so awesome can get that for the cat if I were to sell it.

None taken mate, i went to a small inderpendent and he cut the cat out and welded a piece in for £50, sounded lovely when i first started it, but if you have the money get them to do a cat back system its worth it and could get it done for about £250, saves you going back and having it done at a later date then youve wasted £50.

The Flying Moose
Saturday 6th November 2010, 00:10
None taken mate, i went to a small inderpendent and he cut the cat out and welded a piece in for £50, sounded lovely when i first started it, but if you have the money get them to do a cat back system its worth it and could get it done for about £250, saves you going back and having it done at a later date then youve wasted £50.

Thank god for that, I read what I posted then thought "oh dear that could be taken the wrong way".

I need to find an indepandant willing to do it then. I was going to get a full system done or purchase an OBX from the states but as I am supposed to be collecting a T5R interior and a T5R bumper in the next fortnight I cant afford it.

p fandango
Saturday 6th November 2010, 07:38
sorry for the confusion Emlyn, when i BT was on here 15g i had Powerflow de-cat her for me (i just don't do my own work on exhausts). Weather's not looking too bad so more than welcome to pop over if you want & we'll go round & see what they say, think they charged me £30

nottsgreent5
Saturday 6th November 2010, 08:25
i had my 850R done made it alot more responsive and sounded brill think it was about 50 quid ish from ets in notts

woody
Saturday 6th November 2010, 08:33
Time to do some measuring....!

Just need to find somebody with welding equipment now as I no longer have a welder.

Hi mate. If you're at Marham, go and see the boys in Station Workshops, in GEF. They are a good bunch and should be able to advise/help.

Woody.

T5frankie
Saturday 6th November 2010, 17:22
remember at MOT time though you will need your cat back in

p fandango
Saturday 6th November 2010, 18:31
remember at MOT time though you will need your cat back in
i know of a few that have passed ok

t5 pete
Saturday 6th November 2010, 18:33
Ive got a 100 cel race cat on myne and that only just passes and before i out that on and had the standard cat on the car hardly registered on the emmisions so its very doubtfull but as pedro has said ive also hear of people saying theres went through

The Flying Moose
Saturday 6th November 2010, 21:16
Well I went to pfandango's today to help him with some work on BT and ended up taking a trip to powerflow.... £50 later I have a stainless steel pipe in place of the cat and a brand new rear hanger for free as the old one was bodged and knackered.

As for MOT... its sorted ;)

Thanks for the suggestion james... would never have even tried if you had not suggested it!

pedro has a video somewhere of the car while there was no cat or pipe in place. It was very loud!

All I can say is wow! Really makes a noticable difference in the responsiveness without a doubt and it has a nice exhaust tone now despite still having the "suitcase" in place.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/EMLYNT5/Photo-0013640x480.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/EMLYNT5/Photo-0015640x480.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/EMLYNT5/Photo-0016640x480.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/EMLYNT5/Photo-0017640x480.jpg

The Flying Moose
Saturday 6th November 2010, 21:20
Well I went to pfandango's today to help him with some work on BT and ended up taking a trip to powerflow.... £50 later I have a stainless steel pipe in place of the cat and a brand new rear hanger for free as the old one was bodged and knackered.

As for MOT... its sorted ;)

Thanks for the suggestion james... would never have even tried if you had not suggested it!

pedro has a video somewhere of the car while there was no cat or pipe in place. It was very loud!

All I can say is wow! Really makes a noticable difference in the responsiveness without a doubt and it has a nice exhaust tone now despite still having the "suitcase" in place.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/EMLYNT5/Photo-0013640x480.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/EMLYNT5/Photo-0015640x480.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/EMLYNT5/Photo-0016640x480.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k549/EMLYNT5/Photo-0017640x480.jpg

Volvostorm
Saturday 6th November 2010, 21:35

I found that with mine, it was well worth doing :)

p fandango
Saturday 6th November 2010, 21:38
already uploaded & awaiting clearance from you lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEkJnMJNovk

LiamT4
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:09
Like i'v told you, one of the cheapest ways to make a difference. Helped with my t4 and my bro's 200sx.

The Flying Moose
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:13
Like i'v told you, one of the cheapest ways to make a difference. Helped with my t4 and my bro's 200sx.

Well Liam.... you were right. Now lets wait till the next dyno day and drag strip and see how things relate. Actually thinking of keeping suitcase as it now sounds good. Well to me at least, and pfandango agrees.

LiamT4
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:14
BTW, i'v noticed you've still got your race numbers on, i seem to get more people trying to race me whem i leave them on.

The Flying Moose
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:17
BTW, i'v noticed you've still got your race numbers on, i seem to get more people trying to race me whem i leave them on.

I have rubbed them off now they were a bloody nightmare to remove, Duane insisted they stayed on as they "looked good". I think he just wanted to see how many people wanted to "race" when he drove it round coventry today ;)

LiamT4
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:17
Well Liam.... you were right. Now lets wait till the next dyno day and drag strip and see how things relate. Actually thinking of keeping suitcase as it now sounds good. Well to me at least, and pfandango agrees.

If i was going to keep mine then i wsa def gonna get rid of the suitcase because mine has that rear box as well. The worlds quietist car - thats mine!

The Flying Moose
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:19
If i was going to keep mine then i wsa def gonna get rid of the suitcase because mine has that rear box as well. The worlds quietist car - thats mine!

Makes it even more of a sleeper... "The all new Volvo S70R, so fast you wont hear it pass you!"

LiamT4
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:20
I have rubbed them off now they were a bloody nightmare to remove, Duane insisted they stayed on as they "looked good". I think he just wanted to see how many people wanted to "race" when he drove it round coventry today ;)

If you don't remove them that day then they are usually difficult to get rid of. They are still on mine, lost count of the amount of people who seem to want to race me.

p fandango
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:24
I think he just wanted to see how many people wanted to "race" when he drove it round coventry today ;)
chav'd up Evo boy didn't want to play tho did he lol

LiamT4
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:30
Makes it even more of a sleeper... "The all new Volvo S70R, so fast you wont hear it pass you!"

Think that may be the reason why i'v overtaken many so called fast cars and they've looked shocked, because i'v gone past them so quick and my car is making no noise so they think its much fatsre than it is! lol

The Flying Moose
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:30

I think he looked at the 850, stopped and assessed the situation then realised "I dont stand a chance against that Volvo!"

Jamest5r
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:31

Probably got scared seeing you two in the volvo:hidesbehi

The Flying Moose
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:35

Its obviously the large muscular bouncer type look of the two sat in the front that put him off then!

Probably saw Duanes Unipart fleece when he was driving and thought "This guy obviously knows what he is doing.... jesus he has spent so much money on car parts they have sent him a complimentary fleece!"

WOODY T5
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:40
still got my numbers on its good fun with the boyracers round town lol

The Flying Moose
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:41

I was sick of explaining to people what it was and that it doesnt say ST10 or Stig!

Jamest5r
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:42
Its obviously the large muscular bouncer type look of the two sat in the front that put him off then!

Probably saw Duanes Unipart fleece when he was driving and thought "This guy obviously knows what he is doing.... jesus he has spent so much money on car parts they have sent him a complimentary fleece!"

Quality mate just spat my beer all over the place cheers

LiamT4
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:44

I bet you suprise a lot of people with your car! 105.9mph terminal,not many "normal" cars get that at the 1/4mile, especially as it was damp and it was a struggle to get the car orr the line.

WOODY T5
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:49
I bet you suprise a lot of people with your car! 105.9mph terminal,not many "normal" cars get that at the 1/4mile, especially as it was damp and it was a struggle to get the car orr the line.yeah still goings like stink bring on the next 1/4mile should have my m59 in to?

The Flying Moose
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:49
Quality mate just spat my beer all over the place cheers

Haha aim to please... wish I had some beers in the house. Sad state of affairs when a man cant drink a beer whilst watching TV!

I bet you suprise a lot of people with your car! 105.9mph terminal,not many "normal" cars get that at the 1/4mile, especially as it was damp and it was a struggle to get the car orr the line.

It bloody well shocked me when I drove it! Never been in a car that spins the wheels so easily and has so much power it launches itself out of gear.

p fandango
Saturday 6th November 2010, 23:56
must admit i did wonder what sort of bloke i was dealing with myself, when they'd finished doing the decat his first words were "is i bling now?" then asked the staff behind the counter if he could "hook him up with some 26" spinners?" (events in this post might not of actually happened)

LiamT4
Sunday 7th November 2010, 00:00
yeah still goings like stink bring on the next 1/4mile should have my m59 in to?

Your running a 16t hybrid, aren't you? Do you think it would make a big difference to my s70r auto? (obviously, i'd need bigger injsectors, custom map, etc), or do you have much more that makes your car strupidly fast?

p fandango
Sunday 7th November 2010, 00:01
i've only bought one part thru work, a catalytic converter & that only lasted 3 months before knackering. The fleeces are quiet warm tho lol

The Flying Moose
Sunday 7th November 2010, 00:03
Your running a 16t hybrid, aren't you? Do you think it would make a big difference to my s70r auto? (obviously, i'd need bigger injsectors, custom map, etc), or do you have much more that makes your car strupidly fast?

Obviously I cant speak for smithness but that turbo should make any 850/70 series go like stink! IIRC its a 19T housing with 16T internals. It seems to work really well and scored FFM a 13.9 on a standard unmapped ECU.

LiamT4
Sunday 7th November 2010, 00:05
Obviously I cant speak for smithness but that turbo should make any 850/70 series go like stink! IIRC its a 19T housing with 16T internals. It seems to work really well and scored FFM a 13.9 on a standard unmapped ECU.

Just trying to think of reasons not to sell my s70.

WOODY T5
Sunday 7th November 2010, 00:06
Your running a 16t hybrid, aren't you? Do you think it would make a big difference to my s70r auto? (obviously, i'd need bigger injsectors, custom map, etc), or do you have much more that makes your car strupidly fast?yeah defo make more power with 16t on map and injectors.ive also got bigger throttle body inlet board out rip kit 470cc injectors and a blitz dual boost walbro pump bsr kit.

The Flying Moose
Sunday 7th November 2010, 00:07
Just trying to think of reasons not to sell my s70.

Is the fact its absolutely mint condition externally and mechanically not enough? Hell even throw low mileage in and you have a really desirable car there.

I would love a car like yours but as with others on here am starting to feel I have gone to far and gotten too attached to mine to ever sell it.

WOODY T5
Sunday 7th November 2010, 00:10
Just trying to think of reasons not to sell my s70.dont sell it get some mods done mate

LiamT4
Sunday 7th November 2010, 00:25
dont sell it get some mods done mate

I'd like a bigger turbo (and injectors, map, fuel pump, map, etc) to make it quicker, but just can't afford it. Gonna get an e39 540, re-map, induction and different manifold and exhaust :wink: Well, thats what my garage keep telling me what to get! lol

The Flying Moose
Sunday 7th November 2010, 00:28
I'd like a bigger turbo (and injectors, map, fuel pump, map, etc) to make it quicker, but just can't afford it. Gonna get an e39 540, re-map, induction and different manifold and exhaust :wink: Well, thats what my garage keep telling me what to get! lol

If you keep going to the BMW garage thats what they are going to tell you! Hate to see the fuel bill on that... also every considered they are recommending the 540 as they know it will keep their pockets lined when something goes wrong with expensive parts and labour costs.

WOODY T5
Sunday 7th November 2010, 00:29
I'd like a bigger turbo (and injectors, map, fuel pump, map, etc) to make it quicker, but just can't afford it. Gonna get an e39 540, re-map, induction and different manifold and exhaust :wink: Well, thats what my garage keep telling me what to get! loli guess e39 540 is bmw not bad but still not a s70r mate keep it?

LiamT4
Sunday 7th November 2010, 00:37
If you keep going to the BMW garage thats what they are going to tell you! Hate to see the fuel bill on that... also every considered they are recommending the 540 as they know it will keep their pockets lined when something goes wrong with expensive parts and labour costs.

Known them for ages, they are very (very) good to me! The e39 540 are pretty reliable and i'v been in 1 with what i want, re-map, filter, manifold and exhaust, although the full exhaust was nearly £1k! (tend to be expensive on v8s!). It was very fast and just seemed to have loads of power right from idle.

BTW, as p fandango knows, i'm more into bmws than volvos, but volvos are much better value for money

The Flying Moose
Sunday 7th November 2010, 00:41
Known them for ages, they are very (very) good to me! The e39 540 are pretty reliable and i'v been in 1 with what i want, re-map, filter, manifold and exhaust, although the full exhaust was nearly £1k! (tend to be expensive on v8s!). It was very fast and just seemed to have loads of power right from idle.

Try it then...! What have you to loose appart from probably the best auto S70R!

Ill warn you though, once volvo always volvo. I tried moving away three times with a mondeo 2.2TDCI, 3.2 V6 Vectra and a Skoda Octavia VRS.... however always ended up with a Volvo again lol

The Flying Moose
Sunday 7th November 2010, 00:43
BTW, as p fandango knows, i'm more into bmws than volvos, but volvos are much better value for money

p fandango will be distraut if you sell it... he spent all afternoon removing his blue injectors for you.:cry:

LiamT4
Sunday 7th November 2010, 00:47
p fandango will be distraut if you sell it... he spent all afternoon removing his blue injectors for you.:cry:

I wish! Bigger injectors, bigger turbo (or hybrid) and some sort of map and i may be hapy with it!

T5frankie
Sunday 7th November 2010, 00:52

there is very little difference in performance between a 540i and a s70r, i have always fancied one too it would be my second choice

LiamT4
Sunday 7th November 2010, 01:08
there is very little difference in performance between a 540i and a s70r, i have always fancied one too it would be my second choice

The one i wnet in was running 290bhp@wheels with nearly 380lb/ft, but more importantly, it just had so much "go" right from about about 1500rpm untill 6k. Or put it another way, it just flew!

LiamT4
Sunday 7th November 2010, 14:53
I'd like to point out that although i would like an e39 540, its very doubtfull that i would get one, apart from the mpg i'd need a full exhaust which would cost loads.

And anyway, if i had a bmw i wouldn't be able to join in the racing next year!