PDA

View Full Version : Brown frothy stuff on dipstick?

850t5
Wednesday 3rd November 2010, 15:42
My t5 has started to drink a bit of water, not much, but noticable. I checked the oil and there was frothy brown gunk all over it. Its never been there before. Could the water be mixing with the oil? Head gasket? I'm bloody clueless at the best of times :D HELP!

BruceT
Wednesday 3rd November 2010, 15:44
Is your car used for a long runs or short trips?

Could just be condensation from the dipstick making the oil go funny.

How is the oil under the oil filler cap?

flyingbrick
Wednesday 3rd November 2010, 15:46
My t5 has started to drink a bit of water, not much, but noticable. I checked the oil and there was frothy brown gunk all over it. Its never been there before. Could the water be mixing with the oil? Head gasket? I'm bloody clueless at the best of times :D HELP!

Dont worrie about it mate. It happens this time of year because of the location of the dip stick tube and it getting so cold. Its only condensation in the tube mixing with your oil it will all clear up when summer comes round again. Check your oil filler cap if there is no cream cheese on that then happy days.

flyingbrick
Wednesday 3rd November 2010, 15:47
is your car used for a long runs or short trips?

snap

850t5
Wednesday 3rd November 2010, 15:48
Is your car used for a long runs or short trips?

Mainly short trips for the last 2 months. The oil under the filler cap looks black but ok. No condensation there (I forgot what it was called lol@me, brown frothy stuff :D)

flyingbrick
Wednesday 3rd November 2010, 15:49
mainly short trips for the last 2 months. The oil under the filler cap looks black but ok. No condensation there (i forgot what it was called lol@me, brown frothy stuff :d)

cream

850t5
Wednesday 3rd November 2010, 15:51
You lads type fast :) Thanks for that. My heart rate has just come down a bit lol Am I the only person that constantly freaks out everytime their car misses a beat? LOL Cheers again......

flyingbrick
Wednesday 3rd November 2010, 15:54
Cream?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream

850t5
Wednesday 3rd November 2010, 17:21
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream

Many non-edible substances are called creams due merely to their consistency: shoe cream is runny, unlike waxy shoe polish; face cream is a cosmetic. There is generally no restriction on describing non- edible products as creams.

Thanks mate :P

mightywolf
Wednesday 3rd November 2010, 17:24
you could always drop some k-seal into the water to make super sure and as a preventative if your loosing some water. Might have a small leak on a pipe somewhere.

850t5
Wednesday 3rd November 2010, 17:27
That's the same as rad weld?

Richy_S70R
Wednesday 3rd November 2010, 23:12
i would not put any of that stuff in my engine k-seal or rad weld !!! Im my opinion its for bodgers id rather find the cause of the leak

Crazy_C
Wednesday 3rd November 2010, 23:21
Sorry to derail, but you cannot begin to imagine how many jokes ran through my head when I saw the thread title of "brown frothy stuff on my dipstick" :lol: :lol:

Rad weld and k seal is a good idea if you have any doubts, but generally when it gets cold, metal things can get condensation all over them. A good case in point is an ex girlfriend's false leg - she lived in the alps and in the winter her metal false leg would always be soaking wet cos of all the condensation. A somewhat strange sensation though at times that :lol:

850t5
Thursday 4th November 2010, 00:16
Well at least if I put radweld in my car and the water stopped going down I'd know I had a leak in the first place lol I've had plenty of cars that just use water.

CrazyC have you had brown frothy stuff on your dipstick before? Must have been good if it got condensation running down your missus leg! :D lol

Crazy_C
Thursday 4th November 2010, 00:25
I have indeed had brown frothy stuff on my dipstick before ;) It was all due to the weather.

And hahaa, in those temperatures, it can only be so good, temperature creates quite a few problems, especially when metal is involved (trust, don't ask! :lol: )

KARL
Thursday 4th November 2010, 00:35
I have indeed had brown frothy stuff on my dipstick before ;) It was all due to the weather.

And hahaa, in those temperatures, it can only be so good, temperature creates quite a few problems, especially when metal is involved (trust, don't ask! :lol: )

"Snap" but only in the 855 t5 not the v70 r awd !

Both have over 155,000