PDA

View Full Version : wish bone poly bushing

nottsgreent5
Saturday 30th October 2010, 10:31
is it worth replaing the wishbone bushes with poly ones will it make alot of diffrene to the handling

p fandango
Saturday 30th October 2010, 13:10
is it worth replaing the wishbone bushes with poly ones will it make alot of diffrene to the handling
a few people have had issues with Powerflex bushes on 850's, the end locating collar tears off & give play back to the wishbone. Not sure if they've fixed it or not

woody
Saturday 30th October 2010, 13:59
Mine lasted roughly 12 months before chewing themselves up. Russ at RT sent me a new set and I returned the old ones for a bit of R&D. Although I've done less miles this year (no more regular commutes to Scotland), the new ones seem fine.
TBH, if they fail again, I'll definitely look elsewhere.

fireclown
Saturday 30th October 2010, 14:07
i have had mine in for a few years now with no problems. use plenty of copper slip. i am not saying this will not stop problems. but it will help.

woody
Saturday 30th October 2010, 14:22
i have had mine in for a few years now with no problems. use plenty of copper slip. i am not saying this will not stop problems. but it will help.

Yes, Russ also commented about the Copper Slip. I used the sachet you get with them, plus a little of my own and they still failed. Like I said, so far so good with the second set.

Whilst on the topic, has anyone had any experience with other types of after-market bushings?

nottsgreent5
Sunday 31st October 2010, 06:28
thanks guys but do they improve the handling buy alot

nobananas
Sunday 31st October 2010, 09:58
I've had mine for 5 odd years now with no issues, and they have been swapped into at least 2 different pairs of arms when the balljoints wore out (and my motor is a high miler, commuter hack not a polisher LOL !). They certainly improve the front wishbone location and prevent the fore and aft movement under braking and accelerating that you can get with the rubber bushes. The 'loose' rings fitted to them do split after time but providing the bushes are fitted correctly and orientated the correct way round this doesn't affect their performance.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/nobananas000/Volvo%20polybush%20fitting/oringfitting10-1.jpg

They are also really not that hard to fit, getting out the old ones is the hard part, the poly's can then just be tapped in with a rubber mallet (just make sure you lube up the stainless sleeve and fit it last, it won't work fitting the sleeve to the bush then the bush to the arm !)
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/nobananas000/Volvo%20polybush%20fitting/sleevestart9-1.jpg

woody
Sunday 31st October 2010, 13:32
I've had mine for 5 odd years now with no issues, and they have been swapped into at least 2 different pairs of arms when the balljoints wore out (and my motor is a high miler, commuter hack not a polisher LOL !). They certainly improve the front wishbone location and prevent the fore and aft movement under braking and accelerating that you can get with the rubber bushes. The 'loose' rings fitted to them do split after time but providing the bushes are fitted correctly and orientated the correct way round this doesn't affect their performance.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/nobananas000/Volvo%20polybush%20fitting/oringfitting10-1.jpg

They are also really not that hard to fit, getting out the old ones is the hard part, the poly's can then just be tapped in with a rubber mallet (just make sure you lube up the stainless sleeve and fit it last, it won't work fitting the sleeve to the bush then the bush to the arm !)
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m279/nobananas000/Volvo%20polybush%20fitting/sleevestart9-1.jpg

That was my greatest fear; that I may have fitted them wrong, but on dis-assembly, all was correct. A couple of rings had departed, as pre-warned, but two of the main bushes had chewed themselves up quite bad. I took photos and sent them to Russ at RT's, and being a top company they are, they immediately despatched a new set.

Apart from that, they do make a noticable improvement to the front end. The first thing I noticed was the car had less tendancy to wallow in corners. They are a good mod, but I'm still miffed as to why my first set failed!

Who else has had problems with them?

fireclown
Sunday 31st October 2010, 15:57
it also helps if when fitted the final tightening is done. with the wheels on the floor. this prevents any premature tearing'

nottsgreent5
Sunday 31st October 2010, 19:36
think i am gonna get some orderd sounds like a good mod to me

nobananas
Sunday 31st October 2010, 23:19
That was my greatest fear; that I may have fitted them wrong, but on dis-assembly, all was correct. A couple of rings had departed, as pre-warned, but two of the main bushes had chewed themselves up quite bad. I took photos and sent them to Russ at RT's, and being a top company they are, they immediately despatched a new set.

Apart from that, they do make a noticable improvement to the front end. The first thing I noticed was the car had less tendancy to wallow in corners. They are a good mod, but I'm still miffed as to why my first set failed!

Who else has had problems with them?

Only other thing I can think of that might have some bearing on them failing early, when I fitted mine I thoroughly cleaned all the rust, scale and muck off the insides of the subframe brackets that the bushes fit in between. Then when I fitted them I copper greased the inside of the brackets so that the fat part of the bush had something lubricated to bear against rather than abrasive rust etc that may wear them out.

t5 pete
Sunday 31st October 2010, 23:21
Only other thing I can think of that might have some bearing on them failing early, when I fitted mine I thoroughly cleaned all the rust, scale and muck off the insides of the subframe brackets that the bushes fit in between. Then when I fitted them I copper greased the inside of the brackets so that the fat part of the bush had something lubricated to bear against rather than abrasive rust etc that may wear them out.

Absoultly spot on i bet 99% or the time is caused by rubbing against something that it abrasive

woody
Monday 1st November 2010, 11:17
My wishbones were brand new from RT. I did notice however, that the edges of the bushing holes had nasty casting lines, so once the original fit bushings were removed, all the rough casting lines were filed flat. I'm happy with Russ's explanation that it was probably just a bad batch.
I'm off to drop my car in to RT's on Wednesday, for my Manual conversion, so I'll ask Russ again.

Eddy T
Monday 1st November 2010, 18:22
Yes get them fitted, you will notice that the torque steer is dramatically reduced and the front end feels tighter, also fit strut brace and this will also help. Had these mods done to mine and torque steer is pratically gone.