PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox play? (Manual)

Bison
Friday 15th July 2005, 23:58
Hi guys,

After having to replace my box on my last T5 I am getting slightly concerned that my current gearbox is not happy, basically imagine being in gear driving along in say second, not to slow, as you lift off accelrator there is a slight pause before the revs go down, it sort of jerks a little bit before the revs start slowing the jerky noise comes from the box, not car jerk). Same thing happens when you put your foot back on the gas, slight hesitation(play) before gear is engaged i:e motion occurs (even though we are still in gear) Any one had this before? Is it a common problem, are all the manual boxes ££££? I know they can be noisy, is it repairable or a new box job? Gears go in and out fine no other probs!

Bison

Keyholder
Saturday 16th July 2005, 00:05
I remember when i had a similiar problem, but my problem was not being able to get it into forth gear, Which meant the gear box hd gone ( said volvo )

I would assume that u can get it into all gears so therefore the box is a ok, so i would start looking at other possibilities, i.e cluth , etc. clutch adjustment.

Just a thought.

Keyz

Rooster
Saturday 16th July 2005, 01:12
Or top engine mount had it and letting engine rock back and fourth more than it should

Bison
Saturday 16th July 2005, 02:12
Guys, Thanks for your thoughts but I know for a fact it is not clutch or engine mount, my mechanic has driven the car and confirmed my thoughts that it is the gearbox 100%, I just want to know what could cause it and is it repairable. Just gathering info on forums before the mech strips the thing down, he is very busy and hasn't got time for a while, the box has been like it for a while. It happens when in gear (i:e clutch is fully engaged!) this rules out a clutch problem. And I know it is not any mounts as all have just been replaced.

Bison

MattB
Saturday 16th July 2005, 19:08
Sorry Bison,
I don't have a solution or possible cause for you, but...

... basically imagine being in gear driving along in say second, not to slow, as you lift off accelrator there is a slight pause before the revs go down...

...Gears go in and out fine no other probs!

Bison

...my car does this too. not noticed any play in the box tho. the problem does seem to have got slightly worse after a recent full service, although I have yet to change the leads, cap and dis-arm to complete the stage 0 tune-up....

It has got me baffled too :confused:

vt5
Sunday 17th July 2005, 22:59
Not sure if its relative but.....

Mine too sometimes retains revs for a second or 2 before dropping. This it did before i got the box changed (manual also) and still does it now. So i dont think its box related.

Your problem sounds like a bit more than that though, so perhaps your box is on its way out?

From my recent experience and talks to VT the Volvo boxes are repairable, problem is no one sells the bits you need to re build them so often sourcing a second hand one is easier and cheaper.

My replacement manual box cost me £170, if you need one in the end i can recommend a source around that price. :)

nobananas
Sunday 17th July 2005, 23:14
My 855 does this too. I have put it down to excessive backlash in the diff assembly as I used to suffer this with another car I had. Shouldn't be terminal just rather annoying !