PDA

View Full Version : lowering springs

pigfight
Thursday 28th October 2010, 17:49
hi folks,
could any of you advise me on what lowering springs i need to drop the suspension on a phase 1 (1997) 2wd v70r with nivomats?
cheers.

pigfight
Friday 29th October 2010, 19:03
the reason i ask is because i have access to some apex lowering springs which were on my 854r (saloon), could i just swap these over to the v70?
sorry for sounding so clueless (which i am!!) but ive no experience with this self levelling suspension melarchy.
cheers.

simpT5
Friday 29th October 2010, 23:25
My '99 V70 had self levelling (nivomat) rear suspension before I lowered it by 40mm.

The self levelling is done only on the rear and is done by the nivomat shockers themselves.

Unlike a conventional spring/shocker set up, the nivomat shockers themselves bear most of the cars weight and as such are paired up with much more softly sprung springs, if that makes sense?

If you where to fit lowering springs with your nivomat shocks, you will find that a few hundred yards down the road, they'll have jacked the rear back up to it's original height again!

If you want to fit your lowering springs, you'll also have to fit normal non-nivomat rear shockers and new top mounts too, as they are different.

IIRC, I got two new standard sachs supertouring rear shocks and two new top mounts for about £100, fitting the new top mounts and shocks took me about an hour and was very straight forward.

WOODY T5
Friday 29th October 2010, 23:46
the reason i ask is because i have access to some apex lowering springs which were on my 854r (saloon), could i just swap these over to the v70?
sorry for sounding so clueless (which i am!!) but ive no experience with this self levelling suspension melarchy.
cheers.pm sent

pigfight
Friday 29th October 2010, 23:59
cheers simp t5 and smithness.
pmd back smithness.

david-anthony
Sunday 31st October 2010, 16:51
I have a 1999 v70 t5 and want to lower, do all v70 t5 have nivomat?
Cheers David.

pigfight
Sunday 31st October 2010, 22:22
hi david,
theres a couple of ways to find out:
1: put a dozen bags (as i did) of sand in the boot and watch your rear wheels dissapear into the wheel arch, drive a few hundred yards, stop, and have another look, if the wheels are still hiding under the arches, you aint got nivomats, but if they go back to normal height...you have.
2:(and by far the easier option) have a look on the vehicles info plate which is located just above the battery under the bonnet, if you pm rufe (search for him in members) the bottom right number on the plate (i think its an 8 didgit number) he very kindly can let you know if your vehicle has them.
hth.