PDA

View Full Version : remap and mbc

si850r
Monday 25th October 2010, 20:22
Hi all, im going for a remap in december from hlm (luckily i only live 5 mins away)
At the mo im running a bog standard 850r. With a remap, what kinda performance should I expect and how noticable?
Will it improve your mpg (unless you floor it) and would it be worth fitting an mbc?
Will doing any of the above fry my engine as it has only just had a complete rebuild....guts and all have been replaced..Again thanks for any help.....

LiamT4
Monday 25th October 2010, 20:28
As long as the rebuild has been done well, then there should be no problems with a remap. An mbc should be fine as well, as long as you don't go silly with the boost as when the car is remapped it removes the limiter.

si850r
Monday 25th October 2010, 20:30
so when fitting the mbc how can you tell how much to turn it up? at the mo the gauge goes about just over 3/4 of the way on the indicator(standard one in the dash)

LiamT4
Monday 25th October 2010, 20:37
so when fitting the mbc how can you tell how much to turn it up? at the mo the gauge goes about just over 3/4 of the way on the indicator(standard one in the dash)

Someone will reply soon who has an mbc, with how you adjust the boost, but you may find it easier with a more accurate boost gauge. Think about 16psi is fine, maybe more, but you have to watch out for boost spikes and fuelling.

gmain1967
Monday 25th October 2010, 20:39
You need an accurate gauge, reading psi, to be on the safe side. The in car standard item is OK as a guide, but if using an MBC or upping boost in any manner, you need to be sure of what is, or is not, happening. And with an MBC, start with it fully OUT and then wind it in gradually, until the desired boost is reached.

si850r
Monday 25th October 2010, 20:52
so what does the car run at standard psi???

p fandango
Monday 25th October 2010, 20:53
so what does the car run at standard psi???
about 8-10psi

T5frankie
Monday 25th October 2010, 20:55
I had a re-map at hlm last month and the boost went up about 4psi to 14psi i know some get a little more, the difference is straight away noticable it pulls so much harder than standard, after this i bought a forge uos mbc (very precice bit of kit) put a set of blue injectors in and turned it up to 18psi now the car is just nuts, it wheelspins in the dry in second when the turbo kicks in without touching the clutch its a bit of an animal now and i love it i'm gonna get the fueling checked to see if i can turn it up a little more lol (just for racing). I'd recommend both, a mbc fitted without a remap will only get you about 14 psi before you get fuel cut.

T5frankie
Monday 25th October 2010, 20:58
make sure your actuator rod is tight or you will get charged extra for sorting that out as well

si850r
Monday 25th October 2010, 21:22
whats an actuator rod?and what does it do.....soz for all the dumb questions but all this is new to me....im 34 and like a kid with a new toy....... :-)))))

T5frankie
Monday 25th October 2010, 21:39
an actuator is a pneumatic device that opens the wastegate

si850r
Monday 25th October 2010, 21:40
so what kinda price does an mbc go for? and when i get a re map could hamish fit it then?

T5frankie
Monday 25th October 2010, 21:45
so what kinda price does an mbc go for? and when i get a re map could hamish fit it then?

you can get an mbc for £15 mate mine cost £80 most buy them for around £30 you can fit yourself in 5 mins mate its easy. You want to get yourself to the rolling road day on sat. or avon for a bit of 1/4 drag action on sun. quite a few of us going you will get lots of ideas.

si850r
Monday 25th October 2010, 21:50
i was gonna come as its only down the road from me but ive got my kids this weekend and i dont think they will be very entertained by a load of cars.........not unless i drag there 360 along with me.......

gmain1967
Monday 25th October 2010, 21:56
whats an actuator rod?and what does it do.....soz for all the dumb questions but all this is new to me....im 34 and like a kid with a new toy....... :-)))))

Don't be tempted to adjust the actuator rod until you at least get an accurate graduated gauge in order that you can see what is happening if you do adjust it.

T5frankie
Monday 25th October 2010, 21:58
i was gonna come as its only down the road from me but ive got my kids this weekend and i dont think they will be very entertained by a load of cars.........not unless i drag there 360 along with me.......

ive got 5 kids and they will all be coming on the sunday in my 7 seater v70R

smithy
Monday 25th October 2010, 22:45
i have 8 kids and 6 of them will be there on sunday

nick
Tuesday 26th October 2010, 09:14
before deciding, do yourself a massive favour and do a bit more research on your remap of choice. there are other choices out there which may or may not be better suited to your needs. i don't want to get into the usual slanging match of which is best because, quite frankly, i don't think the forums need another round of that nonsense.

check out the other forums for alternative opinions

gotmeaT-5
Tuesday 26th October 2010, 09:31
Make sure you buy an MBC not a bleed valve: Bleed valve has three legs MBC has two. As suggested don't go for the cheapest MBC you can find as you could end up with similar problems that I've got [bent connecting rod from overboost after a silicone turbo pipe split at least I can now hear the engine is running £600 of damage from a £7 length of silicone hose!!!!!]

I agree get an accurate boost gauge turn the boost up slowly till you find somewhere that's good for your remap best to have both fitted before you get the remap then Hamish's peope can set your car to how you want it within safe margins.

p fandango
Tuesday 26th October 2010, 15:14
Make sure you buy an MBC not a bleed valve: Bleed valve has three legs MBC has two. As suggested don't go for the cheapest MBC you can find as you could end up with similar problems that I've got [bent connecting rod from overboost after a silicone turbo pipe split at least I can now hear the engine is running £600 of damage from a £7 length of silicone hose!!!!!]
i assume it was one of the small diameter pipes vac pipes that split, & even if you were still running the car thru the standard BCS (boost control solenoid) it would of still overboosted as no air can get to the actuator to open it. Silicone is also quite a bad material to use for these smaller pipes as they have no integral wall strength so collapse & expand with the pressure, internal braided fuel line is nice & strong & perfect for the job

gmain1967
Tuesday 26th October 2010, 19:16
i assume it was one of the small diameter pipes vac pipes that split, & even if you were still running the car thru the standard BCS (boost control solenoid) it would of still overboosted as no air can get to the actuator to open it. Silicone is also quite a bad material to use for these smaller pipes as they have no integral wall strength so collapse & expand with the pressure, internal braided fuel line is nice & strong & perfect for the job

Seconded. When I fitted the MBC, I also replaced the hoses with fuel line hose, as the originals were looking a bit perished.

si850r
Tuesday 26th October 2010, 19:33
theres new pipes to every thing ...The whole engine has just been rebuilt and expense spared....touch wood every thing should be good

Jamest5r
Tuesday 26th October 2010, 19:40
theres new pipes to every thing ...The whole engine has just been rebuilt and expense spared....touch wood every thing should be good

Might want to put a "no" in there mate.

si850r
Tuesday 26th October 2010, 20:21
well spotted..............