PDA

View Full Version : Lost Drive S60R

Oakes C70 T5
Monday 25th October 2010, 18:39
Got a problem that is getting worse by the day with my S60R.

Had to change the bottom drivers side ball joint. did this however must have messed up because as soon as I tried to drive away the drive shaft inner CV joint disintergrated. Second hand drive shaft has arrived today, just fitted it no problems . . . I thought! Tried to drive it and I have no drive at all and the gearbox will not engage 6th gear!!!

Any ideas freatfully recieved?

Santa
Monday 25th October 2010, 18:47
Not an expert but I'd say something with the gearbox internals. Believe it is usually easier to replace the gearbox.......someone will be along shortly that will know more :-)

jez.w
Monday 25th October 2010, 18:51
Got a problem that is getting worse by the day with my S60R.

Had to change the bottom drivers side ball joint. did this however must have messed up because as soon as I tried to drive away the drive shaft inner CV joint disintergrated. Second hand drive shaft has arrived today, just fitted it no problems . . . I thought! Tried to drive it and I have no drive at all and the gearbox will not engage 6th gear!!!

Any ideas freatfully recieved?

How exactly did you do the ball joint, are you sure the ball joint was the problem? Ball joint shouldnt effect the drive shaft?

Oakes C70 T5
Monday 25th October 2010, 19:02
Yeah when I replaced the ball joint I took the lower section of the leg off to do it in the vice. so I could get the new one in straight. So didnt really do anything to the drive shaft other than slide it out of the hub and slide it back in. So I was amazed when it disintergrated when I tried to drive off after completeing the job. Thought that probably the joint had popped and as I let the clutch out it broke it.

So I am really struggling to understand now why I am not getting power down the drive shafts as I clearly did when the joint broke last time I tried to drive it.

Maybe I havent seated the shaft in the gearbox properly. didnt think that this would be possible though.

Barnsley-Bill
Monday 25th October 2010, 21:36
sounds like you have smashed the planet gears in the diff to me mate.

jez.w
Tuesday 26th October 2010, 10:30
Sounds weird, did the shft get damaged when you removed it? is the new shaft exactly the same length and type as the old one side by side? Is it fitted incorrectly, might not be fully in gearbox end somehow?

Sounds like the new shaft is not the right one.

nagrom
Tuesday 26th October 2010, 10:32
Maybe talking out of my hat here, does the output from the diff/gearbox turn when you try to drive, just a thought, if the car does not have a lsd then one drive shaft faulty will probably stop all drive, I think, also are both drive shafts the same? sometimes one side is shorter than other, sorry if it sounds basic but every little helps.

SKIDMARKS
Tuesday 26th October 2010, 10:45
Jack the front up and turn each wheel to see if it turns the other one. If it don't you have a box problem

jbconno
Tuesday 26th October 2010, 13:37
Fingers crossed its simple fix but it sounds scary and expensive to me.