PDA

View Full Version : VPCUK 2011 Nurburgring Meet...?

The Flying Moose
Sunday 24th October 2010, 22:52
Not sure if this has been done before so here goes!

Seen alot on the Nurburgring lately and I have always wanted to drive the ring. Been doing a little bit of research and think it might be a good idea to have a VPCUK roadtrip to the Nurburgring early next year.

In terms of organisation well, its possible. When I had the Octavia VRS I attended a meet with the guys on Briskoda where we drove from the UK to the Skoda factory and History museum in the Czech Replublic over a week and it was a thoroughly good experience travelling through as many countries as possible hitting the sites on the way and we did it over a week.

For the Nurburgring I was thinking it could be done over 3/4 days, for example set off on a friday night and cross the chanel make as much progress as possible until the first man feels tired, stop at a Hotel then make the rest of the Journey Saturday morning. When arrived at the ring in the afternoon it would provide an opportunity to spectate and if necessary make modifications. Everyone then travells to the night hotel and can all enjoy a beer or two. Sunday would be a day on the ring followed by evening drive back to the UK.

If there is enough interest and people would genuinely like to do this I would be happy to organise it.

Cost wise I reckon it would cost T5 owners around £300 in fuel based on 25mpg run to the Ring and a 1400 mile round trip factoring some ring fuel of course. Then around £100 to cover two nights in hotel and another £100 or less if booked early enough for the channel crossing.

Thought it makes sense to guage interest now so that anyone who is interested has 3-4 months to save. I was thinking sometime in February.

Let me know what you all think.

smithy
Sunday 24th October 2010, 22:58
i would be interested but it would have to be june time due to car not being ready till then

Santa
Monday 25th October 2010, 06:45
I'm interested but just wondering about weather conditions in February....though think I know why youve chosen February.

claymore
Monday 25th October 2010, 08:34
I'd be up for it, but later in the year when the weather is a bit better.

The-Les
Monday 25th October 2010, 10:42
Think I would like to go, always wanted to do the ring but wrote off my ibiza before it was ready. think the T4 would be fun if I can get the little running issues sorted.

BruceT
Monday 25th October 2010, 10:52
Am I the only one who would personally prefere a track day at a UK Track?

Silverstone, Brands hatch, Thruxton, Snetterton, Donnington park etc?

I think the 'Ring is getting a little bit too chav now?

t5 stealth
Monday 25th October 2010, 11:58
this might help,
loads of info on here,
inc places to stay ...
http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/index.html

and this is where i stayed.....right on the entrance...
http://www.hotel-an-der-nordschleife.de/hotel/index.php

it was 300 euros for 5 nights inc breakfast.....for double room.
and theres a fuel station about 100 steps away lol.

siamblue
Monday 25th October 2010, 12:09
Am I the only one who would personally prefere a track day at a UK Track?

Silverstone, Brands hatch, Thruxton, Snetterton, Donnington park etc?

The ring is unforgiving as well, Brands would be great or Mallory park,

Gary

Santa
Monday 25th October 2010, 12:34
Yeah, also the potential insurance issues if someone pushes it far to hard and stacks it.

Murphy
Monday 25th October 2010, 13:00
It will be snowing :D

Santa
Monday 25th October 2010, 13:06
It will be snowing :D

And therefore the only cars that will be able to go around at any sort of speed are the AWD's among us lol

(Disclaimer, a 2wd car in the snow can be safe and fast in the right hands and tyres and an awd can be dangerious in the wrong hands but all being equal the AWDs would be better on snow)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 25th October 2010, 13:59
Wouldn't go - too far to stack your car. Stack it locally would be better. Would love to run Donnington.

Murphy
Monday 25th October 2010, 15:08
Fly/rent Dave then blag pax laps for the rest of the time. There is some cool stuff to do locally too like off roading and this weird toboggan type thing. Could make a nice long weekend trip for the Mrs' too. :D

http://www.btgmotorsports.com/
http://www.rsrnurburg.com/

http://www.hospiceroadtrip.co.uk/images/gallery/Tobogganing1_HR.jpg

t5 stealth
Monday 25th October 2010, 15:19
http://www.hospiceroadtrip.co.uk/images/gallery/Tobogganing1_HR.jpg[/QUOTE]

is that in the isle of white.....

p fandango
Monday 25th October 2010, 17:16
is that in the isle of wight.....
have they still got that at Robin Hill?

p fandango
Monday 25th October 2010, 17:19
i'm up for going to the Ring & got a few other friends/family & planning on going in a nice group, by the time BT is finished & the other projects i think it'll be further on in the year. Would be good if we could get the 2 groups together

t5 stealth
Monday 25th October 2010, 17:23
have they still got that at Robin Hill?

thats what i thought it was....i been down that one :) (was a few years ago tho)

si850r
Monday 25th October 2010, 17:26
http://www.clubmsv.com/car-home/calendar.aspx

p fandango
Monday 25th October 2010, 17:27
thats what i thought it was....i been down that one :) (was a few years ago tho)
my old man ignored all the braking signs & flipped the cart out of the run on that lol

Santa
Monday 25th October 2010, 17:30
http://www.clubmsv.com/car-home/calendar.aspx
Interesting and tempting

LiamT4
Monday 25th October 2010, 20:31
I think one of the reasons that people go to the ring is the journey there. Having a group of mates doing a road trip over a couple of days should be a lot of fun.

t5 pete
Monday 25th October 2010, 22:26
I think one of the reasons that people go to the ring is the journey there. Having a group of mates doing a road trip over a couple of days should be a lot of fun.

Yeah got to agree i wouldnt mind a trip to the show in sewwden i know its a longer journey but thats part of the fun and to see the sights.

smithy
Monday 25th October 2010, 22:52
im up for whatever but not until june time

The Flying Moose
Monday 25th October 2010, 23:25
I'm interested but just wondering about weather conditions in February....though think I know why youve chosen February.

True I think weather might be an issue, I believe you may well know why I chose February and for those who dont I am Due to go away to Afghanistan in March 2011 till August. Going to (forgive spelling) Lashgaghar the most northern area in Helmand province. Yes richard I was due to go to the Falklands but that changed a few weeks ago due to operational comitments.

Dont get me wrong ill organise a trip as I said I would even if its whilst im away.

t5 stealth
Monday 25th October 2010, 23:53
Wouldn't go - too far to stack your car. Stack it locally would be better. Would love to run Donnington.

if you dont drive round it like a tw@ then shouldnt be too bad...just gota remember your in a volvo...not a sports car.............
there is always something out there a lot quicker,
just let them pass you and enjoy the thrill of driving the ring :)
still fun even at slower speeds.

mas
Tuesday 26th October 2010, 21:02
I have never had a hankering to do ' the ring' I have to be honest and I would prefer a track day on a decent regular track as a novice.

As for the trip though , I would love a road trip as it's one of those things that I have never done and need to get out of my system before I'm too old to drive fast :). As mentioned I think the trip , the convoy and the nights telling tales etc are probbaly at least as good as driving round any track.
( and yes I have been round a track lol)

Cheers

Mas

t5 pete
Tuesday 26th October 2010, 21:06
Deffinaly think we need to do a road trip aswell/instead, also space it over 4 days or so and then we can call off at places and have a good drink

t5 pete
Tuesday 26th October 2010, 21:50
just had a quick look and if we did a trip to say the show in sweeden its a 3000 mile round trip so uness people wouldnt mind a £500 fuel bill how about we do a tour of brussels up to amsterdam etc and find some good driving roads sorry for changining the subject if theres enough intrest ill start another thread

The-Les
Wednesday 27th October 2010, 09:53
just had a quick look and if we did a trip to say the show in sweeden its a 3000 mile round trip so uness people wouldnt mind a £500 fuel bill how about we do a tour of brussels up to amsterdam etc and find some good driving roads sorry for changining the subject if theres enough intrest ill start another thread

I wouldn't make it out of Amsterdam!

t5_monkey
Wednesday 27th October 2010, 10:32
I love the idea however budget etc... and I'd be afraid of spanking my car off on the circuit!

Al115
Wednesday 27th October 2010, 11:03
Not to deflate the idea or enthusiasm - I've often thought about doing this. However I will hopefully be going to the Novice trackday at Brands on Dec 1 (weather permitting!) with MSV, as I think that's more my level :D

mas
Thursday 28th October 2010, 20:15
Alastair,

have you never considered the Bedford novice days, its supposed to be an excellent safe novice track and on your doorstep. I as going to do on ehtere until I got rid of my last 951. I don't think the estate car is quite right for it though :P

Mas

T5frankie
Thursday 28th October 2010, 20:25

fuel more like £650-£700 for that distance did a little less to the southern spanish coast and back

GregE102
Thursday 28th October 2010, 20:30
For anyone going i have a free lap voucher going free! its out of the Redline magazine?
Can post it anywhere as long as its UK

t5 stealth
Thursday 28th October 2010, 21:19
fuel more like £650-£700 for that distance did a little less to the southern spanish coast and back

i got back from the ring on a full tank of fuel........and the car was fully loaded to the roof,
dragging its ar@e on the floor like a dog with worms lol.
i have to say i was impressed as i didnt think it would go so far :)

t5 pete
Thursday 28th October 2010, 21:25
i got back from the ring on a full tank of fuel........and the car was fully loaded to the roof,
dragging its ar@e on the floor like a dog with worms lol.
i have to say i was impressed as i didnt think it would go so far :)

With the estimate i did i dont think it would be too far off as that was at 30 mpg which these cars can easily hit on a good run

t5 stealth
Thursday 28th October 2010, 21:33
With the estimate i did i dont think it would be too far off as that was at 30 mpg which these cars can easily hit on a good run

whats that number you use....................30.....................
i wish lol

t5 pete
Thursday 28th October 2010, 21:40
whats that number you use....................30.....................
i wish lol

lol on a run sticking to 70 myne pisses 30 knocking on 35

t5 stealth
Thursday 28th October 2010, 21:50

ok dont rub it in lol

The Flying Moose
Friday 29th October 2010, 00:39

Jesus! I have to do 50 everywhere in 5th to get 30-35mpg. For me on a run at 70 its about 27

Santa
Friday 29th October 2010, 08:41
True I think weather might be an issue, I believe you may well know why I chose February and for those who dont I am Due to go away to Afghanistan in March 2011 till August. Going to (forgive spelling) Lashgaghar the most northern area in Helmand province. Yes richard I was due to go to the Falklands but that changed a few weeks ago due to operational comitments.

Dont get me wrong ill organise a trip as I said I would even if its whilst im away.

How about a road trip through Germany (to abuse autobahns) to Italy or somewhere (warmer) then in February and good olde Nordschleife when you come back?

But if you still want to do Nurburgring in February I'll come with you.

The Flying Moose
Friday 29th October 2010, 10:28
How about a road trip through Germany (to abuse autobahns) to Italy or somewhere (warmer) then in February and good olde Nordschleife when you come back?

But if you still want to do Nurburgring in February I'll come with you.

Sounds a plan to me!

Im definately up for a bit of a road trip through germany, would love to drive the swiss alps too. May even take a wrong road and find yourself at the ring! Hey if you take your two gorilla pods we could make a Top gear style race...

Either way its a date.

mas
Friday 29th October 2010, 11:18
And of course there is somewhere just of the U.K mainland that has no speed limits on the mountain roads ,

I had to point that out to keep mrs Mas happy :flying:

Santa
Friday 29th October 2010, 21:34
Sounds a plan to me!

Im definately up for a bit of a road trip through germany, would love to drive the swiss alps too. May even take a wrong road and find yourself at the ring! Hey if you take your two gorilla pods we could make a Top gear style race...

Either way its a date.

4 Gorilla Pods and 2 Camcorders........just need another 2 camcorders and we could have front and rear facing views each lol

The Flying Moose
Friday 29th October 2010, 21:55
4 Gorilla Pods and 2 Camcorders........just need another 2 camcorders and we could have front and rear facing views each lol

I have one too, plus a camera car of course for those side by side moments!

Santa
Friday 29th October 2010, 22:01
I have one too, plus a camera car of course for those side by side moments!

Yeah by the time you start investing in a camera car you start having to go the whole hog. Own emergency response, pit crew..........couple of aston martins..........

The Flying Moose
Friday 29th October 2010, 22:07
Yeah by the time you start investing in a camera car you start having to go the whole hog. Own emergency response, pit crew..........couple of aston martins..........

Sounds fun... especially the Aston Martins, now where to get the money?

On a serious note however ill discuss the euro road trip with you tomorrow as potentially it could be a hell of a lot of fun especially with a few of us on board.

Santa
Friday 29th October 2010, 22:11
potentially it could be a hell of a lot of fun

As long as my car does break before (and I'm having to do it in a Passat) or during (and having to use a hire car) lol

Might be worth doing a Race tution day before hand as well (especially if we are looking to do Nurburgring in winter lol)

The Flying Moose
Friday 29th October 2010, 22:16
As long as my car does break before (and I'm having to do it in a Passat) or during (and having to use a hire car) lol

Might be worth doing a Race tution day before hand as well (especially if we are looking to do Nurburgring in winter lol)

Mmm well I think we need to sort your car out. Im thinking of getting dark smoke tints and really stiff rear suspension so I can fit a 500 Gallon tank in the boot and fill it up with Spainsh V-Power (was 78 cents a month ago).

I would deinfately do a race tuition day anyhow if I could afford it as well I have never done it before and its a long walk home.

Crazy_C
Saturday 30th October 2010, 01:50
Well I'm definitely up for doing a run at whatever track :) All good fun to me. Though you guys will leave me for sh*t with the V8 in there when your turbos kick in so you'll have to hang around for me at the end :lol: :lol:

ru55brun
Sunday 31st October 2010, 14:32
Hate to drop a bad one on a trip to the ring but me and some mates looked in to it and god forbid you have an acident as charges for recovery are in the reagion of £250 and if you close the ring down for any reason they charge big style , and the list goes on if you drop oil there is again clean up fee!!! it worth a look in to a uk track day, they say anglesea is a good one

T4_Al
Thursday 4th November 2010, 21:35
Id be up for going to the ring, its a double holiday for me as I have relatives who live only 60 miles from Nurburg and then some more in the Czech rep, so would be more of a road trip for me but it sounds good!

y2blade
Friday 5th November 2010, 07:22

Really?

T4_Al
Saturday 6th November 2010, 21:50

Are you sure? I cant remember the last time I saw a convoy of barry'd up 1.2 Corsas trundling round the ring?