PDA

View Full Version : T4 tuninig options.

LiamT4
Saturday 23rd October 2010, 15:34
As i'm thinking about selling my s70r and getting another t4, i was wondering if anybody could tell me what mods are worth doing, powerwise.

I'v had an s40t4 auto before (phase 2), which was running about 220-240bhp (bmc cda, de-cat, some sort of re-map), but this time i'd like to get a bit more power (280bhpish).

I'd imagine that i would need a new turbo and i'm sure (if i remember correctly) that the standard fuel pump and injectors aren't really capable of anything more than just a re-map, but that the stanard IC is fine for up to 300bhp.
Obviously some form of induction upgrade is necessary, but what about the exhaust? Would a race cat be enough or would the whole exhaust be worth doing?

What i'm thinking is - turbo, race cat, induction, fuel pump, injectors and custom map. Is there anything else i should be doing to the engine.

Also which is the strongest engine, the 1855cc (fitted to most of the phase 1s and some phase 2s or the 1948cc on most of the phase 2s)?

The last thing is that i need to have an auto, so was wondering which was the strongest, the 4spd or the newer 5spd.
Does anybody know if the 4spd auto is the same as the 4spd in my S70R? If it is then i know that 280bhp wouldn't be a problem with that box.

Any constructive input would be very much appriciated. Cheers.

T5frankie
Saturday 23rd October 2010, 15:56
my 5 speed auto is is incredibly quick but not as quick as this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htsIm5S4_6I

Al115
Saturday 23rd October 2010, 15:58
Strongest engine is late phase 1. Buy my manifold/16t/exhaust and get injectors/fuel pump/remap and hello 280. :)

LiamT4
Saturday 23rd October 2010, 16:08
Strongest engine is late phase 1. Buy my manifold/16t/exhaust and get injectors/fuel pump/remap and hello 280. :)

Thats what i was thinking ;)
Are you selling the manifold and turbo together?

I'm trying to find out if the 4spd is the stronger box, i don't really want a phase 1 as i'd then HAVE to upgrade the brakes and suspension and i much prefer the interior of the phase 2s. But if its got the strongest engine and auto box then i may have to.

Al115
Sunday 24th October 2010, 08:58
Phase 2 interior feels a bit more "21st century" (though compared to today's cars, not a lot :D) I definitely preferred it to the Phase 1s. I don't know about the autoboxes I'm afraid. Have to say, if I was going for power, I'd buy a cheap Phase 1 in good cosmetic shape, and renew bits on it (brakes, suspension) as required. The Phase 2 suspension wasn't THAT much better than the Phase 1, for instance. On the other hand, for a "compromise car" running 270-280brake, a Phase 2 would be just fine I would think.

ps> I'll sell things in whatever configuration you want :)