PDA

View Full Version : Compression/leak down test

JelT5
Friday 22nd October 2010, 20:35
I'd been burning oil and getting smoke on idle for ages, so decided to get the above done today just to be on the safe side. The results were pretty good and not what I expected at all :D

All 5 cylinders measured @ 11.7 on the compression test, however there can still be problems even with a result that's pretty good...
So the real test is the leak down; could have knocked me over with a feather, worst cylinder on test scored 94% the next 96% and the remaining three all clocked 97%. So basically my engine is pretty much as it came out of the factory. Happy days!
Still don't know why the SOB is smoking and burning oil though, so the 18T will be coming off and going for a rebuild/ freshen up very soon.

The leak down test is well worth it if you've any doubts about your engine.

LiamT4
Friday 22nd October 2010, 20:37
Sorry for sounding dumb but whats a leak down test?

T5frankie
Friday 22nd October 2010, 20:43
what did they charge you for that?

Volvostorm
Friday 22nd October 2010, 20:47
Could still be stem seats, I've just changed mine, they were hard, and one had split :(

p fandango
Friday 22nd October 2010, 20:50
glad to hear your engine's alright mate, 19t it is then lol

JelT5
Friday 22nd October 2010, 22:11
what did they charge you for that?

50 euro

JelT5
Friday 22nd October 2010, 22:20
Sorry for sounding dumb but whats a leak down test?

Two gauges rated to 100psi (%); one to read the compressed air fed into the cylinder is kept at a constant 100 psi, the other to read the leakage. Cylinder/piston locked at tdc, compressed air fed in via the spark plug opening and voila you get a very accurate reading of the state of the cylinder and valve guide(s)/ valve seal(s).
A compression test is a less accurate way of reading the engine condition.

LINK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leak-down_tester)

HTH

JelT5
Friday 22nd October 2010, 22:21
glad to hear your engine's alright mate, 19t it is then lol

Sod a 19T mate I reckon it's gotta be a rod bending Garret next lol

JelT5
Friday 22nd October 2010, 22:23
Could still be stem seats, I've just changed mine, they were hard, and one had split :(

It's unlikely (but not impossible) as the leak down tests the valves too. I'm hoping it isn't valve related mate as I can't afford a cyl head overhaul at the mo :(

Volvostorm
Friday 22nd October 2010, 22:50
I knew leak down tests the valves too, but surely that's the valve seats and not the stem seals?

Hopefully, it's nothing to bad, my head work came to £500 including a port and polish.

What Garrett you thinking using? I'm using either a GT28 or GT30 ;)

Martin-t5r
Friday 22nd October 2010, 23:00
3071r all the way, these engines can maintain stupid power with horrifically worn components, got to love em :)

Volvostorm
Friday 22nd October 2010, 23:06
3071r all the way, these engines can maintain stupid power with horrifically worn components, got to love em :)

Yeah, mine was running 245bhp with 11thou of wear in it's bores :P

Been rebored now, +0.5mm

The Flying Moose
Friday 22nd October 2010, 23:13
Anybody know of somewhere in the UK that can do leak/down tests? Would quite like the answer to my smoking, not serious but still frustrating. Is it something most reputable garages can do?

Volvostorm
Friday 22nd October 2010, 23:19
Engine rebuilder might do it, or some tuning places?

Martin-t5r
Friday 22nd October 2010, 23:24
I would have thought most garages should be able to perform a leak down test. Lol at Pault5estate it's crazy how they hold together any other engine would throw in the towel before then lol. Worn engine, throw a load of boost at it and it will be fine :)

JelT5
Saturday 23rd October 2010, 05:01
I knew leak down tests the valves too, but surely that's the valve seats and not the stem seals?

I don't know mate tbh. The guys at the garage (they run a low 9 second Chevy Nova and a 10sec GMC Syclone twin turbo) are of the opinion it's deffo turbo related...I really hope it is!

Hopefully, it's nothing to bad, my head work came to £500 including a port and polish.

double that and add 500 in France, sadly :(

What Garrett you thinking using? I'm using either a GT28 or GT30 ;)

Ideally a 3071 (as Martin t5r mentioned) but I think that's going to have to be a long way in the future- funds are limited so have to get the 18t refurbed for now boohoo

T5frankie
Saturday 23rd October 2010, 10:06
I don't know mate tbh. The guys at the garage (they run a low 9 second Chevy Nova and a 10sec GMC Syclone twin turbo) are of the opinion it's deffo turbo related...I really hope it is!

double that and add 500 in France, sadly :(

Ideally a 3071 (as Martin t5r mentioned) but I think that's going to have to be a long way in the future- funds are limited so have to get the 18t refurbed for now boohoo

whereabouts in france you from mate i get over quite regular as my old man has lived all over the country and now for the minute is is living in a tiny hamlet called laruscade about 30 kms nw of bordeaux, was only there a few months back, thats where i blew my clutch lol

JelT5
Saturday 23rd October 2010, 11:58
I live in Metz- quite some way from Bordeaux. Come back to the UK quite often though, but doubt I'll be back until next year some time now.