PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate blues - pistoned off

Flatout Phil
Thursday 21st October 2010, 08:23
Think I will have to be changing the old tailgate dampers this weekend! It's that cold weather that's done it! Just went out and the damn thing won't stay up - always the same as soon as the temperature goes below freezing. Ho hum. I know there is a good thread on changing them on here somewhere - will be looking it up.

BruceT
Thursday 21st October 2010, 08:28
Ditto, need to do mine also!

5seaterT5x2
Thursday 21st October 2010, 09:14
easy jobby wont take long done it on my t5 when i got it

dave854
Thursday 21st October 2010, 10:50
any idea how much a set is from either Volvo or where ever people are getting them from? mine isn't too bad at the moment it stays up but you have to put it there. might do them early next year.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 21st October 2010, 12:05
any idea how much a set is from either Volvo or where ever people are getting them from? mine isn't too bad at the moment it stays up but you have to put it there. might do them early next year.

I know I do like my double entendres - and this thread is particularly ripe with the possibilities for them. SO apologies in advance.
Needless to say, if you are starting to have trouble keeping yours up, you will find that the colder it gets, the more feeble the pistons become. I got mine from Salvo AGES ago for my very first 855 - so can't remember, but they are £18 each from PFV or EuroCarParts http://www.eurocarparts.com/search/tailgate/p/Car-Parts. Saw these on Ebay just now s/h: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-V70-ESTATE-TAILGATE-BOOT-STRUTS-LIFTERS-ARMS-L-K-/310262516444?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483d164adc

I would buy them new from EuroCrapParts and be done with it. Got the latch plumb in the middle of my back a bit earlier as an added incentive to do the job:(

The Flying Moose
Thursday 21st October 2010, 12:28
I have not long done mine, some of you may remember my thread.

Like mensioned easy enough job to do but can be a pain to slip the old sockets off the ball joint. When I replaced mine I used a OEM part manufactured by SAG (Part no SAG V87727) and they are muhc better than the Volvo originals in my opinion. I actually have to hold onto the boot lid to stop the entire back end of the car leaping up and lid flying off!

Flatout Phil
Thursday 21st October 2010, 12:40
I have not long done mine, some of you may remember my thread.

Like mensioned easy enough job to do but can be a pain to slip the old sockets off the ball joint. When I replaced mine I used a OEM part manufactured by SAG (Part no SAG V87727) and they are muhc better than the Volvo originals in my opinion. I actually have to hold onto the boot lid to stop the entire back end of the car leaping up and lid flying off!

Where did you get them from?

The Flying Moose
Thursday 21st October 2010, 13:02
Where did you get them from?

I actually got them from smithness, he had bought a set but never used them.

Not sure where you can get them to be honest. Just did a google search for them to no avail and it even looks hard to find any "branded" or volvo replacements. Perhaps I am searching wrong.

The Flying Moose
Thursday 21st October 2010, 13:07
Had a thought phil, I have a Volvo breakers yard near me and could have a walk round and test a few see if they are any good. If there is a decent set could get them off for you probably get them for under a tenner.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 21st October 2010, 13:32
Had a thought phil, I have a Volvo breakers yard near me and could have a walk round and test a few see if they are any good. If there is a decent set could get them off for you probably get them for under a tenner.

I will see how I get on with the old Salvo ones i have - but I reckon it would be worth you getting them anyway as someone on here is BOUND to need them. What I could do with is a r/h dash speaker grille for an 850, and a plastic battery securing clamp! Any colour ;)

OH TO LIVE NEAR A VOLVO BREAKERS :(

t5_monkey
Thursday 21st October 2010, 13:46
It is tough when you can't keep it up... still a bit of droop isn't the end of the world.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 21st October 2010, 16:27
it is tough when you can't keep it up... Still a bit of droop isn't the end of the world.

the only person round here who should be ashamed of a limp banana is dana mina! What do you reckon he sold it for?

siamblue
Thursday 21st October 2010, 17:31
I have a spare set here if someone wants to buy them £17 inc of p and p,

Gary

steve855
Thursday 21st October 2010, 19:12
I have a spare set here if someone wants to buy them £17 inc of p and p,

Gary

gary the set i bought of you are brill. never found it so easy to keep it up.LOL

steve855
Friday 22nd October 2010, 06:21
here you go,
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8626

Flatout Phil
Friday 22nd October 2010, 07:48
here you go,
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8626

Ta muchly for that.

t5_monkey
Friday 22nd October 2010, 07:53
the only person round here who should be ashamed of a limp banana is dana mina! What do you reckon he sold it for?

I hope it wasn't as much of a lemon as it looked like - for the sake of the poor soul who may have bought it in good faith!

850 2.5 10v
Friday 22nd October 2010, 13:45
Did both mine a while back...very easy, just be careful when you prise out the panels and clips.

Go slow and you won't break anything.

The Flying Moose
Friday 22nd October 2010, 22:38
I will see how I get on with the old Salvo ones i have - but I reckon it would be worth you getting them anyway as someone on here is BOUND to need them. What I could do with is a r/h dash speaker grille for an 850, and a plastic battery securing clamp! Any colour ;)

OH TO LIVE NEAR A VOLVO BREAKERS :(

Can definately get you a speaker grill, ill pop down tomorrow morning for you, did you want just the one phil? PM your address and Ill get one in the post. Not so sure on the battery securing clamp as they seem to be like rocking horse poo in the Volvo world, ill do my best though.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 22nd October 2010, 22:54
Or the guide I did

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15665