PDA

View Full Version : no gears

mightywolf
Wednesday 20th October 2010, 22:41
hey all. my mate has my old V70 T5 abd its broke. He got in it this morning and couldn't select any gears.
The clutch pedal feels fine and goes down and comes back up as it should.
The gear stick moves in the correct place with no knockes or clunks.
But once "in gear" and he lifts the clutch, nothing happens. Its like he's in neutral. Occasionally after trying for a bit it will "engage" for a minute but then go back to acting like its in neutral again.
Could it be the clutch slave cylinder? Not loosing any dot 4 though. If the gearbox itself had gone I'd have expected a bit of noise from the box.
Or possibly the clutch itself but then I would have thought the pedal wouldn't be right?
Any ideas anyone?
Cheers,
Mark.

mightywolf
Thursday 21st October 2010, 09:26
everybody as stumped as me??? :) I'm gonna go have a look at it this morning to see if he's missed owt obvious. but any ideas more than welcome :)

siamblue
Thursday 21st October 2010, 09:44
Sorry mate i can't help but maybe the selector forks are worn? but i would expect some noise if the gearbox was on it's way out, so probably is the clutch,

Gary

wegal
Thursday 21st October 2010, 11:05
Maybe a broken gear linkage between the stick and the box. I had a similar thing on a golf that wouldnt select 5th, the lever would move but no gear, turned out to be a £1 plastic linkage.

Hope its that simple for you.

mightywolf
Thursday 21st October 2010, 12:11
well I've been to have a look. Its just like he said. It feels like it cycles ok through the gears and the clutch pedal feels normal, but it just acts like its in neutral when you lift the clutch.
But....on top of the gear box are 2 selector cables. One has a vertical selector and the other is horizontal (flat). What is the horizontal one connected to?
When I go through the gears the horizontal selector moves depending on the gear, but the horizontal one does nothing (although I can move it by hand).
Is the horizontal one connected to the clutch?

stevie69
Thursday 21st October 2010, 15:33
wrong button.you sure the driveshaft hasnt popped out?happened to me a while ago.

siamblue
Thursday 21st October 2010, 17:33
One cable does the lateral movement of the gear stick and the other the longtitude movement,

Gary.

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 21st October 2010, 17:42
Sounds like the cable has broken or the linkage has come loose at one end (either gear lever or gearbox end). So when you think you're selecting a gear all it is really doing is keeping it in neutral.

mightywolf
Thursday 21st October 2010, 19:29
the driveshaft is ok and the selectors seem to be moving ok, so back on the clutch or cylinder theory. The only thing thats still confusing the matter is that the clutch pedal feels fine!! Ah well off to the garage it goes.

siamblue
Friday 22nd October 2010, 09:28
When you say moving ok are they mechanically at the gearbox selecting gears? have you tried it by hand on top of the gearbox?

Gary

PHIL V70R
Friday 22nd October 2010, 10:49
i had the same sort of thing on a t5..it turnd out to be the clutch...no gears at all new clutch and all was fine,,

mightywolf
Friday 22nd October 2010, 12:26
When you say moving ok are they mechanically at the gearbox selecting gears? have you tried it by hand on top of the gearbox?

Gary

yeah they move ok on the top of the gearbox.

mightywolf
Friday 22nd October 2010, 18:23
hahahahha get this. I met my mate this morning and we towed the T5 to the garage. He gets a phonecall this aft saying theres nothing wrong with it!!! Mechanic got in it, it went straight in gear and he drove it round for 4 miles. He said it didn't miss a beat and he can't find anything wrong!!!
So maybe the clutch stuck or the cylinder or summat. Who knows. My pal is buying a new clutch and cylinder anyway ready for when it does go.

mightywolf
Sunday 24th October 2010, 15:47
well it broke again today. But he's just been offered a S70 CD 2.5T 'p'reg with 110'000 on the clock for £600! So think I'm gonna be breaking a T5 very shortly! (after I've snaffled all the bits that I want) :)