PDA

View Full Version : Frost finally killed Battery

Happygilmore78
Wednesday 20th October 2010, 14:35
....or so it seems.

Over past few weeks the car has been turning over slowly, and then this morning under a sheet of frost it refused to give life, i fear it died in its sleep at somepoint during the night.

This ever happen to anyone else? is it common that the cold can finish a battery off, as i know i didnt help leaving my bootlight on and draining it a few times, but it was charged and light removed after - so no excuse now other than being a duffer :(

So off to Halfords to get a battery after i am picked up afgter work.

BruceT
Wednesday 20th October 2010, 14:56
VERY common for the cold to kill batteries!

Happygilmore78
Wednesday 20th October 2010, 15:04
Damn you Jack!

claymore
Wednesday 20th October 2010, 15:20
happend to me about this time last year

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 20th October 2010, 15:53
Agree with the above comments, I have also had cold kill batteries. Unusually though when I had a 2.5 Auto V70 the really hot days killed the battery too.

The only thing that annoys me about batteries is the sheer cost of replacement. Perhaps taking the thing out and bringing it inside when you know your not driving for a while might help preserve it a little.

Happygilmore78
Wednesday 20th October 2010, 15:54
Says on battery 650 CCA and 95 mins Reserve - do i need to stick to this? i know not best getting less, but if one says for example 700 cold crank amps, am i going to fry something if i get more?

It looks like the original battery, so its lasted a good 10+ years i suppose

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 20th October 2010, 16:11
It is very odd how new-car car-batteries last for about ten years, and then whatever you replace them with seem only to last for excatly one month aftr the warranty expires?

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 20th October 2010, 16:27
Says on battery 650 CCA and 95 mins Reserve - do i need to stick to this? i know not best getting less, but if one says for example 700 cold crank amps, am i going to fry something if i get more?

It looks like the original battery, so its lasted a good 10+ years i suppose

Never had any problem with any car when it comes to uprating the battery. You definately wont fry anything.

650CCA battery should be plenty enough though as IIRC the official rated Volvo batteries are 540CCA.

Happygilmore78
Thursday 21st October 2010, 09:26
Cheers, and your right - i got the number wrong, it says 520CCA on mine :( but have whapped a 750 in till i can actually get hold of one, as halfords only had little ones

streaky744
Monday 25th October 2010, 20:23
i'd go to a decent motor factor for your battery. halfords are stupid prices for a big battery. should get a good one for around 50 -60 from factors where as halfords are around 90+ from memory.

Happygilmore78
Wednesday 27th October 2010, 09:45
Cheers for that, i will give them a looksie - and your right, Halfords did seem a little steep for a battery, i nearly fell over!

Baj
Wednesday 27th October 2010, 14:22
I used to work for an indy car spares shop and this time of year he would double or treble his battery stock. As soon as the first frost hit we would get a stream of people coming in for a new battery.

Related: If you put a dead AA battery on the radiator you can often eke out a bit more power from it.