PDA

View Full Version : More Boos from TDi (vw engine)

Brett855tdi
Sunday 17th October 2010, 13:44
Ive had my 96 855 tdi for a couple of months now,
very happy with it, nice clean example, good on fuel etc etc.
considering the weight she moves quite well, specially in 4th.
however i would now like a bit more power!
i have been reading up about a bigger turbo (dont know which one or whether its a straight swap) and bigger nossels they get upto 300bhp and 600nm or tourque (also bottom end bolts) well this is what i have read!
i would be more than happy with 200!
i am running simple basic mods;
pipercross cone,
silicone vacuum pipes through out,
blitz dump valve,
boost gauge

ive tried the good old MBC but i now realise what i think is the wastegate (also a vacuum operated vlave that runs between the manihfolds doesnt bleed to give any extra boost) runs of a positive presure and when bled only lowers boost!

What i would really like to know is how i can get more boost?

Also is there any tweeks i can do with the pump?

i have been searching very hard for any info including looking for info on other cars the engine is also used in, and found nothing!

any help would be a massive help

smithy
Sunday 17th October 2010, 14:19
you can map these cars mate so get intouch with diesel remappers .hlm do them also van akken are the diesel pros mate get the number off google mate

claymore
Sunday 17th October 2010, 14:49
Hi bud welcome to the forum, your best bet is get rid of the boat anchor, and drop a T5 in there.....lol. how are the brakes, are they still juddering?

t5_monkey
Sunday 17th October 2010, 17:05
Welcome!

Always hear good stuff about how tuneable TDI's are ... would be interesting to see a good project on how one of these can be hotted up.

T5frankie
Sunday 17th October 2010, 18:57
Welcome!

Always hear good stuff about how tuneable TDI's are ... would be interesting to see a good project on how one of these can be hotted up.

i'll tell you what a mondeo diesel gave me a bit of a burn up yesterday going down the on ramp onto the m1 had to give it full throttle to get past him lol

Brett855tdi
Sunday 17th October 2010, 20:40
Thanks for your welcome Colin
yes they are but its become more of a random thing going to give i good look over when i do the cj joint, hoefully fine the porblem!
Oh yea! lol i know, but im already savin for a nice T5 for my 25th lol
i read those pikey B4ST**s had ur tank off! would have made my blood boil that!
you should lease i gate out there fr them! (with a couple off wires running behind the shed to a catle fence module) and a cam so i can see it lol

and also thanks to smithy for the info, i didnt think there would be too much to be done with the ecu as they run a pump not multipoint!
One problem tho remaps are a bit exspensive with my current situation (new baby and house etc etc...)
Was hoping i could see what i could do with bits hanging around the workshop, or bit i could fabricate myself.

does anyone know about the turbo upgrade?
maybe a turbo from another derv or maybe a petrol T5 maybe? not sure on minifold fitting, something i could MBC?

anyone else got anymore input?

thanks guys!

Brett855tdi
Sunday 17th October 2010, 20:57
Just been looking at remaps and propper piggy-backs from RICA, Van Akken (now DTS)
im looking at £300 min and to go from 140hp to 170hp and 290nm to 360nm
doesnt do any boost ajustment, only fuel
can i not fettle it with a screw driver to give a similar result?

smithy
Sunday 17th October 2010, 22:21
they regige the pump mate and up the boost at the same time .and the remap will make a big difference to how the car drives

Brett855tdi
Sunday 17th October 2010, 22:28
they regige the pump mate and up the boost at the same time .and the remap will make a big difference to how the car drives

i understand that, however i dont want to spend loads of money on the car as its just a fill in till i go 25 and get a T5
so im just after some cheap tweeks
also how will it raise the boost if when i bypass the EBC valve and use a MBC i dont get any gains?

t5_monkey
Sunday 17th October 2010, 23:56
i'll tell you what a mondeo diesel gave me a bit of a burn up yesterday going down the on ramp onto the m1 had to give it full throttle to get past him lol

I had exactly the same issue with a Vauxhall Insignia Cdti who tailgated me up to a roundabout (turning right onto the M-way) Today on the way back from Jackton.

I think he thought he'd left his handbrake on once we got onto the straight section of the ramp down onto the M-way :)

he zoomed up behind me (once he'd caught up) and shook his head as he went past - so it must have annoyed him :D

but then as I say.... if you're going to a knife fight, remember to not bring a wooden spoon, not sure how much that applies to the Volvo diesels.

Brett855tdi
Monday 18th October 2010, 00:02
I had exactly the same issue with a Vauxhall Insignia Cdti who tailgated me up to a roundabout (turning right onto the M-way) Today on the way back from Jackton.

I trickled down onto the slip... but I think he thought he'd left his handbrake on once we got onto the straight section of the ramp down onto the M-way :)

he zoomed up behind me (once he'd caught up) and shook his head as he went past - so it must have annoyed him :D

but then as someone said.... Never start a knife fight while holding a wooden spoon.

Lol yer alot of these people dont realise we arnt OAP's that just wanna hang around.
Makes them mad when we dont follow the stereotypical volvo driver thing!

Brett855tdi
Thursday 21st October 2010, 10:34
gain some eatra boost yesterday!
i took out the dump valve (wasnt being helpfull)
then took the VNT pipe and bypassed the EBC with a MBC and closed the MBC all the way!
now i run a standard boost uniterupted (like before) and then in 4th and 5th (wish it was 2nd and 3rd also) it goes up from the standard 14psi at 3000rpm to 18 psi!
it feels good it really knuckling down and going for it but this extra boost is for a very short time abit late throught the gears, i shal carry on fiddling

Volvostorm
Thursday 21st October 2010, 20:20
Have to seen these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TDI-Tuning-Chip-VP-Volvo-850-V70-30BHP-SDI-/290342214337?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4399be9ac1

Brett855tdi
Thursday 21st October 2010, 21:43
Have to seen these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TDI-Tuning-Chip-VP-Volvo-850-V70-30BHP-SDI-/290342214337?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4399be9ac1

i have seen these, but for £80 i was hoping to really know if they do work, they do seem to have a good revue, but is that just a blagging sales pitch?