PDA

View Full Version : diesel help please!!!

infinity1
Sunday 17th October 2010, 09:08
hi guys hope your all well?
i have the v70 s2 with the vw engine,and have been for a while pondering a remapp,i really like the car but feel it lacks a certain oommphh when im out and about,and at times overtaking etc,seems quite gutless.
i know the engine is the detuned audi (170hp??) one so am wondering if i decide to get it remapped would that just bring it up to those 'standard' figures? or would it be pushed that little bit further?
then of course there is the other question about the intercooler...
which remapp,mte,rica, etc
has anyone got a re done 2.5 d that could point me in the right direction please??any issues with it?
thanks in advance

T5frankie
Sunday 17th October 2010, 09:31
these engines have 140 bhp don't they?

lookbehindyou
Sunday 17th October 2010, 13:03
a remap would give you that extra power, rica or mte is a good option and yes i would look at the fmic intercooler which is talked about alot on t5d5.org, also check the p2 series part of the forum on here robbieh as just put up a thread on the new intercooler called D5 FMIC. your car is going to need to be in tip top condition before you introduce any more power (stage 0 service). don't be fooled into thinking the stage 0 can be missed to save money or cut corners, but from experiance diesels are quicker with a good remap. if you find out the exact version of your engine and what the power is now then you can best decide which remap offers the best value, beware of the ones that load the extra power early on in the rev range this just gives you the impression of more power. where as the MTE remap will give you a more progressive and smooth delivery which is better for road running and not dyno running.

hi guys hope your all well?
i have the v70 s2 with the vw engine,and have been for a while pondering a remapp,i really like the car but feel it lacks a certain oommphh when im out and about,and at times overtaking etc,seems quite gutless.
i know the engine is the detuned audi (170hp??) one so am wondering if i decide to get it remapped would that just bring it up to those 'standard' figures? or would it be pushed that little bit further?
then of course there is the other question about the intercooler...
which remapp,mte,rica, etc
has anyone got a re done 2.5 d that could point me in the right direction please??any issues with it?
thanks in advance

RobbieH
Sunday 17th October 2010, 15:46
The early dieseasel V70 P2's did indeed use the Audi 2.5 lump until Volvo developed the D5 engine. The 2.5tdi was a carry over from the earlier 850 Tdi and V70 P1 models. AFAIK, the D5 was introduced late 2000 or 2001.
The Volvo version is rated at 140bhp, 290Nm and is designated D5252T in the Volvo numbering scheme.

I've not really come across much talk of mods to this engine tbh. I think you might be better asking on VOC or even looking on the VAG forums where this engine will be much more common and might throw up more information.

AFAIK, MTE don't do remapping for this engine. A look at the RICA site seems to show no info for the tdi engine in the V70 P2 BUT does show info for the P1version (1997-2000). See here http://www.rica.nl/viewcar.aspx?vehicle=189.
Looks like 174bhp and 330Nm is claimed.

I have also heard various claims for the plug-in tuning boxes but that's as much as I can say on that option.

Whatever you opt for the advice from the previous poster is good. Make sure the car is in top notch condition first and do not cut corners. A remap (or tuning box) will very soon find the weak points in drive train and auxilliaries. Be wary of anything that brings the torque in as a "spike" which is the ruination of clutches and DMF's. Might seem good off the line but that's about it. Be sympathetic! And moreso if you are running an autobox.

As far as intercoolers go, remember diesels run continuous boost even when cruising. And the Volvo i/c is a known weakpoint. Even in non-mapped cars, failures at 100-130k miles seem common (and not just in the D5, T5's also suffer although they also suffer high intake temperatures and the problems associated with that issue). If you do go down a remap route (and maybe even with a chip) it's worth thinking about fitting a boost gauge as well to check what's going on.

Now as far as pushing the boundaries, there is a member of t5d5 (although we haven't seen him for some time) who goes by the moniker of "shadowmaker". He has a V70 P2 (2000) 2.5tdi running 280bhp and 600Nm :crazy: Good luck if you think that is a route you wish to pursue. I for one would watch with interest :wink:
have a look here http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/8749-v70-25tdi-00-280hp-600nm/

v70torslanda
Sunday 17th October 2010, 16:47
As this is a mechanical 'direct' injection engine I don't know how a 're-map' would be done.

As I understand it a remap alters injector pulse and duration, fuel rail pressure and boost control. OK I know that's about a millionth of the parameters but the point is that none of these variables can be altered with a mechanical system. I think your best bet would be a 'Tun-it' box or similar which alters the pump pressure and injects more fuel across the range.

Others have said it but it bears repeating. Make 100% sure that both timing belts and associated rotating components are in perfect nick before you start. If it smokes, rattles, knocks, hesitates or flat spots then don't even try to extract any extra performance cos you'll probably **** yourself when you get it running on full song! Breathers are prone to clogging which strangles performance as well as spewing engine oil out everywhere.

I recently started driving my Passat to work instead of my V70 (it averages 50mpg and it's an 80 mile round trip every day so it saves about 30 quid a week in diesel). To start it was fluffy and lacked power cos the whole shebang was coked up. After 5-6 months of daily use it went to work yesterday morning in 34 minutes at an average 74mph [ahem . . .] Even then it returned 44mpg. Sure it runs out of puff but only at 110mph or so, allegedly ;)

luv'n'stuff

John

infinity1
Sunday 17th October 2010, 23:51
thanks for the replys chaps most informative,i have realised about the intercooler.it prob does need replacing..also the clutch is the original(not sure if its a dmf or solid though???) and with 160000 will it just be too much for it? i can not seem to work out what to do with it,dont really want to spend thousands on it,just a quick cheapish upgrade!!
i know the diesels are fairly well sought after,should i just get rid of it(as im not doing the miles now) and get another petrol volvo to tinker with instead?
help!!!

lookbehindyou
Monday 18th October 2010, 09:08
"just a quick cheapish upgrade" your worrying me now, :rolleyes2 if it is on the origanal clutch! with that kind of high milage then you must think about the cars health before increasing the power, just read this and many forums were remaps have gone wrong due to poor mechanical parts on the car. of course it's your decision and things can be expensive but don't just become another disatisfied volver owner due to a remap going wrong. :B_thumb:

thanks for the replys chaps most informative,i have realised about the intercooler.it prob does need replacing..also the clutch is the original(not sure if its a dmf or solid though???) and with 160000 will it just be too much for it? i can not seem to work out what to do with it,dont really want to spend thousands on it,just a quick cheapish upgrade!!
i know the diesels are fairly well sought after,should i just get rid of it(as im not doing the miles now) and get another petrol volvo to tinker with instead?
help!!!

infinity1
Monday 18th October 2010, 11:12
thats the thing squire the clutch...i can do most of the other bits myself intercooler,service etc,but seeing as i have been quoted £1300 for the clutch alone!!! im unsure wether to get this done or just forget the whole idea,im no expert far from it but have been told they are a pig to do on the s2 v70 lowering the sub frame etc etc???
To me £1300 is a serious amount of money to spend on it as its prob only worth £2k ish anyway, so then what else is a remap/chip etc going to find that is a weak spot???

lookbehindyou
Monday 18th October 2010, 16:09
im not that mechanically minded myself, im trying to help you by using my common sense as my tool. personally i think you've answered your own question in your last post!, i like many would not like to simply say yeah what the hell get the remap done and other mods for you to return later and say "well thanx lads my car 's now Fu****".

if your pushing your car hard with it remapped or not then of course weaknesses are exposed, i had my current car remapped a while ago after doing a full stage 0 test and within two qweeks the clutch went @ £1000 and a couple of weeks ago i had two of the bores re glazed and all of the pisten rings replaced amongst other things, now i know the remap did'nt cause those as i found out that the previous owner had his friend stamp the service book with out actually carrying out any proper service at all ( what a *anker ) so the damage was done prior to any remap. ive spent about £4000 on repairs, servicing, and mods since buying the car so im now at a happy stage with it and have renewed confidence driving it with the extra power.

Or you could remap the car and have no issues at all!

not every car needs to be pushed hard with modifications to increase power, but if that is your goal then common sense would tell me and hopefully you that maybe this car is'nt the rigth one for that task especially if money is at the fore front of any decision.

i hope you take my advice as just that, we are all enthusiast it's good to share info and experiances good and bad.

having said that i do know of a chappy over on t5d5 by the name of tim williams who is an absolute gem when it comes to knowledge on volvo's, im new to this forum so don't know of any body on here yet but im sure there are peeps on here who may be able to take a look at your car without paying stealer prices.

keep us informed :flying:

thats the thing squire the clutch...i can do most of the other bits myself intercooler,service etc,but seeing as i have been quoted £1300 for the clutch alone!!! im unsure wether to get this done or just forget the whole idea,im no expert far from it but have been told they are a pig to do on the s2 v70 lowering the sub frame etc etc???
To me £1300 is a serious amount of money to spend on it as its prob only worth £2k ish anyway, so then what else is a remap/chip etc going to find that is a weak spot???

T5frankie
Monday 18th October 2010, 16:30
i would recommend a diesel plug in box i had one on my old hdi citroen and really felt the difference

infinity1
Monday 18th October 2010, 23:28
im not that mechanically minded myself, im trying to help you by using my common sense as my tool. personally i think you've answered your own question in your last post!, i like many would not like to simply say yeah what the hell get the remap done and other mods for you to return later and say "well thanx lads my car 's now Fu****".

if your pushing your car hard with it remapped or not then of course weaknesses are exposed, i had my current car remapped a while ago after doing a full stage 0 test and within two qweeks the clutch went @ £1000 and a couple of weeks ago i had two of the bores re glazed and all of the pisten rings replaced amongst other things, now i know the remap did'nt cause those as i found out that the previous owner had his friend stamp the service book with out actually carrying out any proper service at all ( what a *anker ) so the damage was done prior to any remap. ive spent about £4000 on repairs, servicing, and mods since buying the car so im now at a happy stage with it and have renewed confidence driving it with the extra power.

Or you could remap the car and have no issues at all!

not every car needs to be pushed hard with modifications to increase power, but if that is your goal then common sense would tell me and hopefully you that maybe this car is'nt the rigth one for that task especially if money is at the fore front of any decision.

i hope you take my advice as just that, we are all enthusiast it's good to share info and experiances good and bad.

having said that i do know of a chappy over on t5d5 by the name of tim williams who is an absolute gem when it comes to knowledge on volvo's, im new to this forum so don't know of any body on here yet but im sure there are peeps on here who may be able to take a look at your car without paying stealer prices.

keep us informed :flying:

thanks mate will do!!!