PDA

View Full Version : Not making the numbers...

silverswedemachine
Thursday 14th October 2010, 21:57
When i bought my 96 t5 it boosted well (about 11/12 psi i would say) and was quite fast, long story short engine came out for new gearbox... I changed all the old cracked vac pipes for the turbo control, plus a recon turbo went on... Now though when accelerating - foot down hard, 2nd gear onwards - when pickin up from low RPM it only boosts a couple psi 3 maybe 4psi from say 1500 RPM all the way to at least 3750 RPM when it starts making boost, from here the boost is consistant with the revs, by the time 5500 comes it making at least 12 psi (couple of needle widths from the end the white bit) and pullin like a train... Is this normal?? i had an older 94 t5, the one with the revrsed intercooler pipes, that boosted alot more low in the revs, just wondered if this was volvo development at work...

Another thing, i hav another ECU from that car, is it worth putting that in it to see what happens??

cheers watto...

T5frankie
Thursday 14th October 2010, 22:02
sounds like your actuator mate

silverswedemachine
Thursday 14th October 2010, 22:06
It is the original unit, it still has the original turbo but i put fresh bearings n seals it... I did adjust the wastegate arm 1 1/2 in for more pressure, do u think that has upset the ECU??

t5 pete
Thursday 14th October 2010, 22:11
when you replaced the bearings were they free moving as it sounds like its towing to spin freely and needing more exhaust gases to spool the turbo as to the boost rasing with the revs im no expert on them but could possibly be a problem

silverswedemachine
Thursday 14th October 2010, 22:15
Yes mate, the compressor wheel span freely and does not graze or catch the housing when its turned... it is also quiet when when givin it the beans...

cheers