PDA

View Full Version : How loud will it be?

LiamT4
Thursday 14th October 2010, 20:06
I'd like some more noise, but as i can't afford a proper exhaust, i was thinking about replacing the main silencer (the suitcase) with just a straight through pipe. As this won't cost much if i don't like it i can just get it put back.
But how loud will it be? as it would just be left with a very small silencer at the back.

p fandango
Thursday 14th October 2010, 20:38
I'd like some more noise, but as i can't afford a proper exhaust, i was thinking about replacing the main silencer (the suitcase) with just a straight through pipe. As this won't cost much if i don't like it i can just get it put back.
But how loud will it be? as it would just be left with a very small silencer at the back.
i think it'll be too loud. When BT had her 19t fitted i had to drive her with just the downpipe & cat to the exhaust shop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee7Ws33xrB0

LiamT4
Thursday 14th October 2010, 20:45
Is that the turbo i can hear! Sounds awsome, but it would probably get annoying after a while lol
If i'm going to keep it then i need some noise, why can't it have 2 normal size silencers, then i could just remove 1 and it would be fine!

p fandango
Thursday 14th October 2010, 20:54
Is that the turbo i can hear! Sounds awsome, but it would probably get annoying after a while lol
If i'm going to keep it then i need some noise, why can't it have 2 normal size silencers, then i could just remove 1 and it would be fine!
yeh its got a lovely whistle to it hasn't it lol. You sure you've got another silencer apart from the suitcase?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nf301F9S84&feature=related
she's still got her whistle lol

LiamT4
Thursday 14th October 2010, 21:01
Yeah, but you have to remember that it doesn't have the standard tailpipe, it has a twin exit (dtm style, i think) that goes into 1 pipe then into a backbox.

t5 stealth
Thursday 14th October 2010, 21:04
i dont think it will be too loud as its a turbo engine....they are quieter and if you got a small box on the rear it should tone it down a bit.

p fandango
Thursday 14th October 2010, 21:04
Yeah, but you have to remember that it doesn't have the standard tailpipe, it has a twin exit (dtm style, i think) that goes into 1 pipe then into a backbox.
ah that explains it then, someone put a universal box on the end by the sound of it. My bro bought a Toyota Surf & someone had welded a catalytic converter on the end just before the tailpipe lol

cherry1809
Friday 15th October 2010, 10:25
ah that explains it then, someone put a universal box on the end by the sound of it. My bro bought a Toyota Surf & someone had welded a catalytic converter on the end just before the tailpipe lol

Hahahaahahaha. :D

Ed.
Friday 15th October 2010, 13:32
Rather than changing exhaust parts, have you considered a polybush top engine mount? Its lets a lot more engine noise into the cabin and would be a relatively easy/cheap mod.

Ed

t5_monkey
Friday 15th October 2010, 13:58
It's never too loud :)

Got my middle box welded out, raised the sound nicely.. but I've still got the suitcase one near the exit pipes.

LiamT4
Friday 15th October 2010, 17:22
The engine sounds good enough as it is, but i'd like an exhaust note to hear too.
I need to decide what i'm going to do, and i'm trying to think of fairly cheap mods i can do to it, that may convince me to keep it.

t5_monkey
Friday 15th October 2010, 19:47
Losing a muffler box is a cheapish mod... you can always weld it back if you don't like it??

LiamT4
Friday 15th October 2010, 21:59
Losing a muffler box is a cheapish mod... you can always weld it back if you don't like it??

I need to get under the car some time and see if its 1 section which can just be replaced if i want.

cherry1809
Friday 15th October 2010, 23:35
i think it'll be too loud. When BT had her 19t fitted i had to drive her with just the downpipe & cat to the exhaust shop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee7Ws33xrB0

I've watched that about 10 times now... And I'm eyeing up the hacksaw in the shed. :D

jpcnc
Tuesday 19th October 2010, 18:51
ive been looking at those bypass valves for a while now, ive been tempted to make one and have it boost activated so it opens at around 75% boost, great for town driving and even better for flooring it! what do you reckon?

LiamT4
Tuesday 19th October 2010, 19:59
Sounds like a good idea, quiet most of the time but some noise when you put your foot down.

p fandango
Tuesday 19th October 2010, 20:06
ive been looking at those bypass valves for a while now, ive been tempted to make one and have it boost activated so it opens at around 75% boost, great for town driving and even better for flooring it! what do you reckon?
there is a company who already make the boost operated valves (no idea of there name, but are Americian). The main advantage of no back pressure is the reduced time for the turbo takes to spool up, so having it open so late won't give as much of an advantage as it could