PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Springs

fraz13
Thursday 14th July 2005, 15:51
Anyone know where a can get a hold of a set of springs that will give me a 60mm drop?

Reason is a need 2 drop it more....... just coz a do :haha:

Av looked at a couple thats had 40mm and they sit like mine does just now, in which case its already lowered (possibly), if its not a still dont wanna go spend cash and the result being its not changed the look at all, a want it sittin on its ring piece

got this just now....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/high.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/HPIM0284.jpg

But want this....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/dropped2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/dropped.jpg

Any ideas?

Mrsmopp
Thursday 14th July 2005, 15:55
Do eibach do it? They are quite popular with the "modders"* who like their saxo's "on the deck"

x

fraz13
Thursday 14th July 2005, 15:59
Canny find any company that does anything apart from 40mm

There must be one out there, probs need 2 look 2 Sweden direction

Just fitted a strut brace last week n its better but still cack and wollowing like a boat

Mrsmopp
Thursday 14th July 2005, 16:00
Are you back home then?

x

fraz13
Thursday 14th July 2005, 16:04
Unfortunately yip but hopefully not for to long.... a crave sunshine

DONKEYT5
Thursday 14th July 2005, 16:43
Fraz, why dont u diy?? mine are lowered -40mm but the back sits too high for my liking so im thinking about 'taking a bit off' my rear ones! just so it sits level

siamblue
Friday 15th July 2005, 10:49
Mine is the same, sits higher at the back, Only thing you can do is to cut the springs on the lowered ones, as the thickness might be different as well on the lowered ones compared to standard.Gary

Rooster
Friday 15th July 2005, 17:08
If the coils are the same on one side of the spring ie not pigtailed in anyway just take your 40mm springs out and lop a coil off them front and back, i know the front ones, coils are the same just not sure about rears.

I was going to do this with my s40 on rear till i did boot install and weight of that brought it down even so didn't have to.

pzorb
Friday 15th July 2005, 22:28
I thought cutting springs was a big no-no? So is it OK to take OEM springs and lop off a few turns to get the lowered effect? Surely not?!

Ross9
Friday 15th July 2005, 22:56
bad idea, spring tension is all wrong, could bottom it out.

If you must do something DIY like that though, dont cut the springs, get a big mallet and knock the cup down the shocker a bit, sorted ;) *

It wont move, seen a skyline have it done the opposite way to raise the rear for drag racing, launching hard enough to pull 11.08 @ 127mph in a rwd, and that force never shifted the cup again when it squated.

* - no responsibility for any damage and/or injury will be accepted lol.

Seriously though, I would suggest searching around more, cutting the springs is very cowboy.

Ross

Rooster
Saturday 16th July 2005, 01:06
I wasn't talking about cutting the standard springs i was talking about lopping a coil off the 40mm lowering springs.

If there progresivly wound like on mine they won't miss a coil off them and it might even stop the coils knocking on each other over speed bumps.

After_Shock
Saturday 16th July 2005, 08:09
Alot of the US cars as that very low S70 in the pics looks as though its on coilovers as id be surprised if he managed to get springs to lower it so well, unfortunately coilovers are cheap over their and expensive here!

Other option could be to get in touch with Eibach or one of the other spring makers and ask them to make a custom set.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 17th July 2005, 07:22
I know that VT are in constant contact with Eibach and there reps so it might be worth giving Hamish a ring.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Sunday 17th July 2005, 11:20
I know that VT are in constant contact with Eibach and there reps so it might be worth giving Hamish a ring.I must admit i want to go a bit lower than 30mm, it dont look right on a 30mm drop, maybee 50mm yeah but i'd want it doing right, whats the cheapest coilover setup on the market yet ? Cheapest i seen is about £1000 still.

After_Shock
Sunday 17th July 2005, 12:07
Yeah you will be looking at the KW kits, im not sure of the prices now and their was only 1 choice when I got mine but ive seen other kits from them since so they could be cheaper now, try the US sites and get the model codes then get a price in the U.K, but coilovers allow you to drop something like 65mm or more if its possible.

gillespie
Tuesday 19th July 2005, 23:17
I have 30mm lower springs on my s70r which made no difference to the rear cos the r is lower anyway. I cut 2 coils off the rear which lowerd it 55mm in all, it now sitts level and with 18"s it scuffs on the odd occasion but i can live with it.

fraz13
Tuesday 19th July 2005, 23:21
Could a buy R springs and fit them straight on to ma T5? How much lower are R's from a lowered T5?

Is there any difference at all apart from ride height?

Did cutting the springs make it bouncy?

bedlam
Thursday 21st July 2005, 09:57
Fraz,
How're ye doin. Just thought I'd pass on my experience, although it's a V70. With the cheapo (40mm)springs from Europarts in Glasgow, the back end was too low with std shocks. After putting on the ex cop heavy rear shocks, it came back up about 15mm. Result - the height and handling are just superb. (This was after Loch Lomond meet)
Before I refitted the heavy shocks, any more than 2 peeps in car caused exhaust to hit rear suspension, even after putting exhaust as close up to body as poss. Overall, the initial drop was still more than 40, due to the fact it had cop suspension on.
If you like, I'll measure and give you exact figures for current height, along with a couple of pics. when I get back onshore in 2 weeks.
PS home pc has been down.

fraz13
Thursday 21st July 2005, 10:07
Alan long time :wink:

A couple of pics before and after would be ace mate, a just want ma car to stop acting the Boat

Only way a think is to have it on the deck

P.s. A put up a post in the spotted about you... was it you? lol

Wobbly Dave
Friday 22nd July 2005, 00:43
If you put a set of R springs on then you will get the somewhere in the region of 35mm drop. Eibachs are slightly lower still.

I dropped my new C70 onto Eibachs today and she looks fab!

TedBovis
Friday 22nd July 2005, 07:57
How about a few piccys of that C70 on those Eibachs?
I'm currently looking at saving those pennys for some along with new shocks :)

gillespie
Saturday 23rd July 2005, 13:43
Could a buy R springs and fit them straight on to ma T5? How much lower are R's from a lowered T5?

Is there any difference at all apart from ride height?

Did cutting the springs make it bouncy?

The R springs will fit as a direct replacement and they are meant to be 25mm lower than the standard t5, cutting the coils off do not make any difference to the handling only the height, As they were progressive springs the coils that i cut off were squashed together when the car is on the ground.

p fandango
Saturday 23rd July 2005, 17:25
i know its a different kettle of fish but when my bro fitted Spax -40mm springs on his old Nova it actually dropped the car -55mm

BlackBeast
Saturday 23rd July 2005, 18:06
Check this site out http://www.kalmar-union.com/

fraz13
Saturday 23rd July 2005, 18:40
No offence but no thanx, A would'nt give them ma money :sinner:

k690bpp
Saturday 23rd July 2005, 19:21
why not???

i phoned kalmar for a price on eibachs and was quoted £180 all inclusive and delivered to me, vt wanted about £210, don't know if that included delivery so kalmars prices seem very good.

one thing i've noticed getting prices from anyone is how long it takes to get a reply to emails. i sent a couple of emails to both vt and kalmar but no reply even after a week, in the end i had to phone them.

p fandango
Saturday 23rd July 2005, 19:27
to busy on the forums to reply to emails :wink:

M44K TS
Sunday 24th July 2005, 22:41
Hows this for slammed then Fraz, is this what you're after?

Before

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/fraz13/HPIM0284.jpg

Slammed

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/306cabby/fraz.jpg

fraz13
Monday 25th July 2005, 09:30
lol cheers Mark but in the middle would be ace lol

M44K TS
Monday 25th July 2005, 13:25
in the middle you say

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/306cabby/fraz2.jpg

TangoDeltaSierra3
Monday 25th July 2005, 16:36
There u go Fraz, now quit complaining lol...Just do it.