PDA

View Full Version : s60 instrument cluster failure

gfurm
Wednesday 13th October 2010, 18:55
Hi
So mine managed to get to this point in his life. Had lights going off and on again, no speed or rev indicators.
Called Volvo and got a quote: 600 quid plus software and labour. So I went to google and fiound out it's a common problem involving bad soldering, recommended remedy was to send it to BBA (from this forum) or get it resoldered at TV repair shop (different forum).
BBA charges around 200 quid which is much better than Volvo but still quite a lot. So I found a local TV repair shop and asked the guy if he can do it and how much would it cost me. 40 quid. I removed the dash, then PCB from it without breaking anything and dropped it off at TV repair shop. Few hours later got it back, put it back together and it works (so far, fingers crossed)
If you have this problem try finding a TV repair shop and ask them if they can reflow (technical term for soldering everything again) PCB.
Just a word of warning, be careful when putting PCB back to instrument cluster. It's gor 16 connectors in form of very thin springs, be careful not to bend them (I did). It's hard to starighten them and without them you won't have any light on the dash.

Greg

v70torslanda
Wednesday 13th October 2010, 23:41
That's really cool!

Manchester's a big place, care to PM me the location of the TV shop?

gfurm
Thursday 14th October 2010, 15:23
http://www.sers.me.uk/ic_fitting_service.htm

The only problem now is that left half doesn't lit up. I think that bend connection is causing it.

Greg