PDA

View Full Version : rev needle probs?!

DONKEYT5
Thursday 14th July 2005, 14:59
Hi all, when i started my car earlier today, i turned the key and as it fired up the rev needle quickly shot up to about 3.5 k revs, but the engine never revved. it has never done this before, after arriving at the supermarket, doin me shoppin etc, i got back in and started her up, and sure enough it did it again!
any ideas?
Thanx, Don

DONKEYT5
Thursday 14th July 2005, 17:30
any ideas anyone? its puzzling the life out of me!!

Vikingxl
Thursday 14th July 2005, 17:41
The only time ive had a problem like this was in a mondeo with a dodgy alternator when the voltage dropped the rev counter would go haywire .Dont know if thats any help to you or not.

DONKEYT5
Thursday 14th July 2005, 17:48
thanx buddy, its somethin to consider! cheers

Vikingxl
Thursday 14th July 2005, 17:52
Don-T5
The next symptom was the radio would switch off again something to do with the voltage but that didnt happen for a week or so.In the end i found the problem it was the wiring between the alternator and the dash. There was a small break in the insulation and it was shorting out which killed the alternator or three to be precise lucky it was under warranty.
P.s. Are you going to derby at the weekend???

DONKEYT5
Thursday 14th July 2005, 21:18
'fraid not rich, im sooooooo skint and only get paid on wednesday! im savin to get my stage 2 for the volvo, thats gonna cost a small fortune! im that skint i aint even got any ink done for about 2 months!
sorry :ashamed:

spesh
Thursday 14th July 2005, 23:19
It's that dump valve!!!!!! lol