PDA

View Full Version : Lost a CD in a 901

cherry1809
Wednesday 13th October 2010, 10:13
Cassette popped out but left one of the cds in the stereo.
How hard is it to strip it down?

dave854
Wednesday 13th October 2010, 10:50
mine does this occasionally, i just perceiver with it and most of the time it will eventually pick it up a fault with the rollers i think. I think once the unit is out the top should come off and you'll then see the CD, last time i did this I had it on so that when it tried to pick up the cd I could give it a gentle prod with my finger to help it pick it up. Saves taking it all apart. This is providing of course nothing is broken, will it load and play the other 2 CDs?

cherry1809
Wednesday 13th October 2010, 14:13
No. :(
I switched it on the other day to remove all 3 and have a change around.
It went through the usual routine and ejected but one was left in. Now it doesn't make any noise when I put the cartridge in and it just throws up the error message. Won't take the other CD's etc.

dave854
Wednesday 13th October 2010, 14:46
best bet is to pull it out (the radio that is ;) ) and take the top of to see what its doing. It should try to pick up the dropped CD if you put in a blank cartridge. common fault on these, the rollers seem to slip.

Cubes
Wednesday 13th October 2010, 20:25
I had a go at taking mine apart yonks ago because it wasn't playing cd's, just skipping across them. After taking the outer casing off there is another casing which I couldn't get off without risk of bugger it up completely. If you manage it let me know how because I'm having the same problem again and want to clean the laser manually.

cherry1809
Thursday 14th October 2010, 11:42
Will do. I'm taking it apart Saturday as I've got the day off (First one in about 6 weeks)

Cubes
Sunday 17th October 2010, 12:04
First day off in how long?!!! I couldn't handle not having my four days off after four days at work! ;o)

Any joy yesterday?

IC
Sunday 17th October 2010, 13:05
Cassette popped out but left one of the cds in the stereo.
How hard is it to strip it down?

Hi, I just read the thread, I hope that you managed to sort things out yesterday. Here's a detailed account of how to sort stuck CDs out:

Take the the unit out of the car disconnecting the ariel (make sure that you have the code) and the two connectors plus the amplifier - plus the Dolby Pro-Logic if you have it! Take the top of the unit off undoing the screws at the back of the unit - in my case I found that the mechanism was stuck so the system was running a continual cycle trying to put the CD back into the cartridge when another was stuck in below. The "lift" mechanism is spring loaded and I managed to use a pen putting it into the central hole of the top CD and managed to push it back into the cartridge moving the lower CD into place. This did happen twice, the second time I left the CD connected in the car and managed to help the CD on its way with help from the CD motor. It is an awkward job - you should put the gear lever into second if it is a manual and then use a soft cloth to balance the player on the gear lever whilst working on it - be careful that you don't damage the facia whilst it is in that position as the back of the player can be a bit sharp. I cannot recommend that you keep the CD connected to the car electrical system for obvious health and safety issues in case you electrocute yourself, however if you want to go ahead it's your decision - it worked for me. I would recommend that you take the CD out and work on it on a table first then you can see how the mechansism works and it might free itself with a bit of help from you and a pen.

silverback02
Wednesday 27th October 2010, 15:07
Hi All,
There is a guy on Volvoclub.org called MARCEL (might be on here as well) he repairs these things,
Try shouting him for a little advice.
Joe.

cherry1809
Thursday 28th October 2010, 06:58
Still yet to have a look, As I didn't get the day off after all :rolleyes:
100% Defo off this Saturday though :D

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 28th October 2010, 12:36
SC901 can be exchanged at the dealership (about 100 quid). I have taken the lid of one before to retrieve a CD. It is not that hard.

Cubes
Thursday 28th October 2010, 21:32
SC901 can be exchanged at the dealership (about 100 quid). I have taken the lid of one before to retrieve a CD. It is not that hard.

Really? You sure? I'm sure I enwuired about that about a year ago and they said it was about £350! I might be wrong though. I'll have to have another go!

Thanks Wobbly D

Rufe
Friday 29th October 2010, 14:48
The exchange SC-901 units used to be around £100 a few years back, they are not that price now though... more like around £600 now! I am not even joking. (New SC-901 units retail over a £1000!)

Simon

Wobbly Dave
Friday 29th October 2010, 15:24
Sorry I didnt know - I got rid and invested in the Alpine. Use mostly Ipod now.

silverback02
Friday 29th October 2010, 20:21
If you have no luck with the repair, This is on the bay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-SC-901-3-DISC-CD-PLAYER-S70-V70-C70_W0QQitemZ180579497143QQcategoryZ10432QQcmdZVie wItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSL%2 52BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFIC S%252BUFI%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D150509644288%252B1505 09644288%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4641330271843 469241

Good luck,
Joe.

cherry1809
Sunday 31st October 2010, 11:30
The exchange SC-901 units used to be around £100 a few years back, they are not that price now though... more like around £600 now! I am not even joking. (New SC-901 units retail over a £1000!)

Simon

Bloody hell! Thats more than my mate paid for his pro logic DAB one in his truck!
I'll have 2 :D

BlackC70
Monday 1st November 2010, 20:11
The 901 is dead easy to clean out without removing the inner cover over the CD mech. Undo the single screw on the back, pop the top off, sellotape two cotton buds together, put a blank cartridge in and pull the power plug out when the mech is at full extension out of the unit, then go in through the centre-left of the mechanism, aim to the top right and if you shine a light in, you'll see the laser sled. Give the laser a good old wipe with the cotton bud after dousing it in tape head cleaner solution or dampen it with a bit of spit, and you'll be fine, few good rubs with that and bingo - one restored SC901.

Did that myself and it's back to tip top condition

cherry1809
Sunday 14th November 2010, 20:10
HAHAHAHA... It dies tomorrow.
Got it working again and then it royally pissed me off.
Had it eat 2 cd's and then the draw just stayed out with an error message.
After a bit of gentle persuasion, I managed to hammer it back in with my fist... cd's are out and I've rescued the cartridge, The rest dies tomorrow. Pics to follow :smileypul