PDA

View Full Version : Abs

JelT5
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 12:15
My tracs light has been on since I bought the "Olive Shed" (lol); turns out it's not the sensor but the abs unit...can I fit a 2nd hand one or are they car/ serial no. specific? A new one from volvo is astronomical in cost, so, if a 2nd hand one can't be used, does anyone know of anyone or anywhere I can get the existing unit repaired.

Thanks in advance :)

Mrsmastiffs
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 12:36
Hi, I am in the same position with my V70 :s Volvotech have been recommended to me for repairs to your existing unit but I am thinking I will have to source a 2nd hand unit as have already tried a DIY repair.

JelT5
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 12:44
Thanks Mrs M.
I've just been searching on the web for info on this and apparently (with the 850 at least) the wheel sensors are what cause a lot of abs probs, so I'll get that checked out first.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 12:53
wobbly dave can fix the units

p fandango
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 12:59
there is info about it online, its normally a dry joint on the main power feed inside the units. Think the hardest part is getting into the unit in the first place becuase there sealed

quite a few people have fitted second-hand units & i've not heard of any issues, very early 850's did have a completely different ABS system (which didn't have issues lol) & won't fit onto the later 850's

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 14:48
I have fitted secondhand units with no issues - although they all develop the fault eventually so a s/h one may be like buying a pig in a poke. Not that I buy pigs often. My local friendly garage offered a 'factory repaired' unit fitted (which a tooled up cat could install) for less than £130 - but I have bought working units for as little as £20 on Ebay - although i would say about £40 - 50 is a good Ebay rule of thumb.

I saw this repairer today: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-ABS-ECU-850-V70-C70-S80-ABS-CONTROL-MODULE-REPAIR-/270645518863?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f03bae20f

Which at £60 inc UK p&p and a 2 year guarantee, has to be a bargain

JelT5
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 15:25
cheers chaps, very useful info and link :)