PDA

View Full Version : Big brakes

Volvostorm
Monday 11th October 2010, 21:15
I have a set of tethy's on my 850, what's the biggest disc and caliper I can get behind it, I'm thinking along the lines of AP Racing etc

Cheers :)

martybelfastt5
Monday 11th October 2010, 21:31
think you have to go 18" pegs for the likes of them its only 302s behind the like of tethys ect

Volvostorm
Monday 11th October 2010, 21:33
That's the 1 wheel that will not be going on! I can't stand pegs, to flat and boring! :P

LiamT4
Monday 11th October 2010, 22:21
APs can fit on 17" comets, tethys are 17s aint they?

Volvostorm
Monday 11th October 2010, 22:25
Yes, they are

LiamT4
Monday 11th October 2010, 22:36
Well they def fit comets, theres an s/v70r thats for sale (theres a link on here somewhere) thats got comets and and has APs on it.
Maybe the design of the tethys may mean they won't fit but i'm sure AP do a brake kit for the s/v40 t4s on 16" wheels, so would have thought you'd be able to get some.

Volvostorm
Monday 11th October 2010, 22:42
Hmmm, or do I buy a set of Compomotive MO1771 http://www.comp.co.uk/wheels/wheels.asp?range=MO6_0006 and that should cure my problems

LiamT4
Monday 11th October 2010, 22:45
To give you a quick idea heres a link, both fit 17"

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_253_475_476&products_id=2822

and

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_253_254&products_id=1338

Not cheap though! But if i had the money, i would!

Volvostorm
Monday 11th October 2010, 22:48
Those are the sets I've been looking at :)

Might go for the WP Pro kit.

LiamT4
Monday 11th October 2010, 22:51

336mm discs on 17s, they'd look awsome, its good when the discs fill the wheels.

S70T5Chris
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 06:59

I had the WP Pro Kit, and was running Tethy's at the time. I had to run 5mm spacers though. I suspect AP's would be the same or similar.

One thing to consider is the cost of replacement discs (one of the reasons I replaced the WP Pro's). But I've since learnt that XC90 discs can be used with the WP Pro Calipers.

Tim Williams
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 11:31
I had the WP Pro Kit, and was running Tethy's at the time. I had to run 5mm spacers though. I suspect AP's would be the same or similar.

One thing to consider is the cost of replacement discs (one of the reasons I replaced the WP Pro's). But I've since learnt that XC90 discs can be used with the WP Pro Calipers.

The AP kit should fit with Tethy's as the calipers are about 10mm narrower than the WP ones, I run the AP kit but if doing it again I would use S60R discs and Porsche calipers because of the larger pad area and £300 saving on discs!

AP do a PDF to make a card cut out for checking for wheel clearance.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 15:42

What were your thoughts on the WP Pro kit?

S70T5Chris
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 16:38
What were your thoughts on the WP Pro kit?

Very good. A bit on the noisy side for my liking, as they were drilled discs. I was also using Pagid Blue pads, which some say are a bit harsh, giving more noise.

If you go with them I would use grooved discs. Drilled discs are prone to cracking when pushed really hard. I did several track days on one set of discs and pads, before finally killing them. And taking into account that RT Mechanics unnecessarily skimmed a shed load off the life of the discs, that's not bad going.

I only sold them as a Porsche kit came up, and I needed new discs.

siamblue
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 17:23
336mm discs on 17s, they'd look awsome, its good when the discs fill the wheels.

I have 330mm discs with my KAD 6 pots and there isn't a lot of room for any error, the Comets are very close to the caliper top edge,

I had the AP kit with 320mm x 28mm drilled discs on my AWD R and the pads DS2500 were always glazing up, with my KADs the discs are 330mm x 30mm slotted and i have no problems at all with the Mintex 1177s,

Gary.

RT MECHANICS
Thursday 14th October 2010, 21:10

Hi Paul

Keep saving and go for the AP's they are far better quality and after driving many cars with different setups have not ever seen/tried any better....

Russ

Volvostorm
Thursday 14th October 2010, 21:33
Hi Paul

Keep saving and go for the AP's they are far better quality and after driving many cars with different setups have not ever seen/tried any better....

Russ

Hi Russ,

I will probably go for the AP's, will look more in keeping with the cars appearance too ;)

I'm just waiting to hear back from a supplier, unless you have some tucked away? ;)

S70T5Chris
Saturday 16th October 2010, 17:36
Hi Paul

Russ

Hi Russ

How many different brake set ups (if any) have you driven consistently hard, on a volvo, on a track? As a track would be the only way you could really test how good/consistent a brake set up really is.

Thanks
Chris.

S70T5Chris
Saturday 16th October 2010, 17:55
Hi Russ,

I will probably go for the AP's, will look more in keeping with the cars appearance too ;)

I'm just waiting to hear back from a supplier, unless you have some tucked away? ;)

I have not used the AP's on a track, but many have and from what I understand they are very good. Any better than WP's/Porsche/etc?, I couldn't really say.

However I have had experience on my own car on several track days with both the WP's and the Porsche set up. Both are very good for road and hard track use.

As I said previously the reason I got shot of the WP's was the cost of replacement discs/pads. Aside from the original purchase price for the AP's, which IMO is horrendous, you'll have this exact same issue when you need replacement parts.

You can get equally good (or better) alternative's to the AP's without the massive price tag. But it's your money at the end of the day, so you make your own choice mate. Don't be pushed into making a decision by me or anyone else, just get all the info you can and make an informed decision.

And just to re-iterate what I mentioned before, try and stay away from drilled discs if you can. If they are used consistently hard they WILL eventually crack. I had it on my WP's, and have seen the same on more than one set of AP's.

S70T5Chris
Saturday 16th October 2010, 18:02
Just to add, which ever calipers you decide to go with (and there are loads to choose from, not just the ones mentioned above), pad choice will probably make the most difference to how well they work.

Volvostorm
Saturday 16th October 2010, 20:00
I've been looking at the Porsche/Brembo setup using the S60R discs, look good, even buying the complete kit from IPD and allowing for shipping and import tax, they are still cheaper than the AP's

S70T5Chris
Saturday 16th October 2010, 20:14
I've been looking at the Porsche/Brembo setup using the S60R discs, look good, even buying the complete kit from IPD and allowing for shipping and import tax, they are still cheaper than the AP's

If thats the route you decide to take, just keep your eyes peeled for suitable calipers on ebay. Get the discs from Rufe. Get the adapter brackets from IPD/CJ or get them machined somewhere in this country. Plenty of pad options easily available for these calipers too. IIRC SW auto's were doing a brand new complete 'BIG REDS' kit for £1200 give or take a couple of years ago. Might be worth giving them a shout.

I think if you're willing to throw a couple of grand at the brakes I'd consider the likes of Stoptech and others. But I really wouldn't consider spending £2k on front brakes!!

If you can get some calipers from Ebay or wherever, you should be able to do the whole kit for well under £1k.

GregE102
Sunday 17th October 2010, 16:41
I have just got a second hand Porsche Big red kit for a very good price! of a member but had to give him my 302 mm set up in return still a good fair buy!

I am also looking for a set of S60 R's for the rear's on mine

I know of some one who has driven a car with this setup on track! They them self have Ap's and uprated brakes on the rear and claim that what Chris has works better than the Ap's

I Remember Russ used to try and put me off the Porsche BBK set up claiming that the brackets are not strong enough as they have not been tested? And he kept recommending me to buy Ap's all the time? but then again he is selling them and not the Porsche BBK! Strange that!

And not sure if any of you remember Shortlby I think his user name was? I was going to buy his AP's second hand of him but he wanted to much as he had spent so much and in his honest opinion they are to much money for the amount of use that you get from them before they are knackered!

Just my 2p worth

Greg