PDA

View Full Version : Transfer box\ Angle gear V70R

doumac
Monday 11th October 2010, 18:06
Hi All

Well I only had the car 2 days and I could hear a grinding noise under acceleration. Took it to Arnie Volvo and the transfer box had a vapour like leak. The mechanic topped it up but no change.

Booked in at the end of the week and under warranty - thank god!!

Is the dreaded 4WD problem component that packs in part of the transfer box?

The service lad I spoke to seemed pretty switched on and said that the repair would normally cost about £1800.

I always said I would never buy an S60R/V70R without at least some warranty and I am now so glad I stuck to that.

Cheers

Santa
Monday 11th October 2010, 18:26
Hi All

Well I only had the car 2 days and I could hear a grinding noise under acceleration. Took it to Arnie Volvo and the transfer box had a vapour like leak. The mechanic topped it up but no change.

Booked in at the end of the week and under warranty - thank god!!

Is the dreaded 4WD problem component that packs in part of the transfer box?

The service lad I spoke to seemed pretty switched on and said that the repair would normally cost about £1800.

I always said I would never buy an S60R/V70R without at least some warranty and I am now so glad I stuck to that.

Cheers

Mines recently developed this issue as well :-(

Rufe
Friday 22nd October 2010, 10:50
Yes the angle gear is a common problem with this model, and a good warranty is certainly very handy when buying these cars as you said.

I sell 1 of these angle gear units by mail order every couple of weeks basically.

Simon

STEVO RRR
Saturday 13th November 2010, 20:46
My angle gear went last year.The cost is virtually ALL labour.The parts come to around £140 including £40 for liquid gasket.
Luckily,my son is a Volvo trained techie and he did it for nothing.

Steve

Justin
Saturday 13th November 2010, 23:20
Its not actually that hard a job to replace them, i had mine done out of warranty with 50% goodwill.

Pliskin
Sunday 14th November 2010, 23:14
Volvo really have got it to do with what is clearly a manufacturing defect, the same goes for the ABS control modules, which are also a big hit.