PDA

View Full Version : 855 Lowering

T4_Al
Thursday 7th October 2010, 17:58
Im sure this has been covered many times but I havent seen anyone lowering thier 850 estate more than 30-40mm.

I am thinking of buying either Monroe Reflex shocks with -40mm Apex springs or the FK Automotive lowering kit which lowers -60mm front and 40mm on the rear but the only thing im worried about is will dropping the front end 60mm cause the tyres to rub the inner arches (Il be running 215/40/17s)

I dont want to spend more than £450 on lowering which is why I havent gone for the more popular Koni/Eibach setup or any coilover kit.

Opinions/advice welcome

Alex

t5_monkey
Thursday 7th October 2010, 19:58
I don't think you'll get rub with 215's ? I'm getting a but of rub on my rears with 225's at the moment - nothing too serious as long as I take speed-bumps carefully.

If it's rubbing on the inner arches you could possibly go for spacers?

t5 stealth
Thursday 7th October 2010, 20:06
i would think carefully before dropping it 60mm on the front,
not only will the car look jacked up at the rear (80s style :) ) and that wont help the handling,mk3 cortinas come to mind :) but also possible rubbing as you mentioned,
but you may make the car not so practical...ie the front spoiler will hit kerbs if you drive up to kerbs,if they are reasonable size kerbs.,
also speed humps,or if you bump up driveways/kerbs etc you might catch the cat or exhaust (which might work out expensive)
im sure your not stupid but i see so many cars that people mod and then dont drive accordingly lol

T4_Al
Thursday 7th October 2010, 20:56
Point taken. I may play it safe and order the FKs with the 35/40mm drop then.

What suspension are you guys running by the way?

t5 pete
Thursday 7th October 2010, 21:30
Ive got eibach springs i think there 35mm they lower the car nicley and just leave a little gap between the tyres and arches so also give it a good luck

Volvostorm
Thursday 7th October 2010, 22:14
You have seen how mine sits, thats on a 40mm drop, only thing I had to do was fit 5mm spacers to stop the backs catching on the arch holding nuts, but I had that problem before because my wheels are 7.5J

t5_monkey
Thursday 7th October 2010, 23:52
I'm on Eibachs - I think they're 35mm drop (15mm drop over sports suspension) and they are low enough to make speed bumps interesting.

t5 stealth
Friday 8th October 2010, 18:18
koni adjustable with 40mm lower springs.
havnt run aground yet lol

T4_Al
Saturday 9th October 2010, 00:46
Ive bought the FK 35/40 drop so will see in a few weeks what shes like. Thanks for input guys.