PDA

View Full Version : oil leak

slurpy
Thursday 7th October 2010, 15:01
hi all, i have a s80 t6 (2002 plate) looking from the front of the car with the bonnet up,i have a oil leak which seems to be coming from the middle of the engine (under the head gasket,but above the sump gasket) and between the alternater and the dip stick, i cant seem to see where the oil is leaking from, has anyone any idears, oil seal ect, ect, i have had it up on a ramp, changed the oil filter and new o ring, and cleaned all around the sump, thats how i know the leak is above the sump gasket, but i still couldn't see where the leak is coming from, but i can see the oil running down the lower block ??

dave stew
Thursday 7th October 2010, 15:23
My guess is that it is the turbo oil pipe feed.

mds
Thursday 7th October 2010, 17:12
If it's like the 5 cylinder engines that where the PCV system is mounted. It could be blocked or one of the connections to the block could be perished.

Changing the PCV on the 5 cylinder engines is about an hours work (DIY).

slurpy
Friday 8th October 2010, 13:22
My guess is that it is the turbo oil pipe feed.

hi dave, if you are right,how is it fixed on (bolted / juberlie clip, ect,) and what sort of job is it to do, (d.i.y.) as i said i cant see anything, and seems like i would have to take half the engine apart to get to the problem ? slurpy

slurpy
Friday 8th October 2010, 13:26
If it's like the 5 cylinder engines that where the PCV system is mounted. It could be blocked or one of the connections to the block could be perished.

Changing the PCV on the 5 cylinder engines is about an hours work (DIY).

hi mds, how are the connections fitted to the block, it looks to me like i would have to take the inlet manifold,alternator, and a lot more (stuff) to get to it, i,m thinking (nightmare!!) slurpy

t5 stealth
Friday 8th October 2010, 18:12
check the oil filler cap,the seal goes hard then the oil leaks around the spark plug area,then it drains away down the back of the engine,just above the exhaust manifold...its easier to see if you remove the plastic cover from the plugs,a little bit of a pain as its a t6 as theres a few pipes etc to remove :)

slurpy
Monday 11th October 2010, 08:09
check the oil filler cap,the seal goes hard then the oil leaks around the spark plug area,then it drains away down the back of the engine,just above the exhaust manifold...its easier to see if you remove the plastic cover from the plugs,a little bit of a pain as its a t6 as theres a few pipes etc to remove :)

hi stealth, ok thanks i will have a look and let you know !!

mds
Monday 11th October 2010, 17:00
Hi Slurpy

The Inlet manifold has to come off on the 5 cylinder cars but not the alternator.
The job is fiddly but not difficult, the top inlet manifold bolts are removed the lower ones slackened only.
I would think the 6 cylinder engine is similar (probably just put my foot in my mouth while shooting myself in the foot).
I use a good 1/4 drive socket set with a magnetic socket to avoid dropping stuff.
There are a couple of "How too's" on here or Haynes isn't bad.

On the 5 cylinder engines the PCV has a very short hose between the back of the the PCV and the Block I have had one leak on an 850 took us ages to find it

slurpy
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 09:49
Hi Slurpy

The Inlet manifold has to come off on the 5 cylinder cars but not the alternator.
The job is fiddly but not difficult, the top inlet manifold bolts are removed the lower ones slackened only.
I would think the 6 cylinder engine is similar (probably just put my foot in my mouth while shooting myself in the foot).
I use a good 1/4 drive socket set with a magnetic socket to avoid dropping stuff.
There are a couple of "How too's" on here or Haynes isn't bad.

On the 5 cylinder engines the PCV has a very short hose between the back of the the PCV and the Block I have had one leak on an 850 took us ages to find it
hi mate, thanks for the info,sounds like it will be that as i cant find it either, will the inlet manifold gasket be ok or will i need to get a new one?? fiddly is not good when you have shovels as hands, but ha ho give it a go !!!

5seaterT5x2
Tuesday 12th October 2010, 10:16
hi mate, thanks for the info,sounds like it will be that as i cant find it either, will the inlet manifold gasket be ok or will i need to get a new one?? fiddly is not good when you have shovels as hands, but ha ho give it a go !!!

i'd go for a new gasket they aint a lot and dont do what i did and take out all the manifold bolts ;-) the bottom row only need to be slackened as the manifold has slots not holes on the bottom side.

slurpy
Wednesday 13th October 2010, 10:55
i'd go for a new gasket they aint a lot and dont do what i did and take out all the manifold bolts ;-) the bottom row only need to be slackened as the manifold has slots not holes on the bottom side.
yea i think a new gasket is best, dont want to have to take it all off again if it leaks!! thanks for the tip about the bolts, i wondered why mds said slacken the bottom bolts aswell