PDA

View Full Version : D5, smoke and lumpy

DanD5
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 13:06
Hi all, i have a v70 2.4 D5, 2004. It has started passing blue smoke but only at certain times, these are..... 1 when im going steady like 40mph in 4th or traveling at 60-70mph in 5th. No smoke when on boost or on start up. The car also feels lumpy and hesitant and then chucks out a puff of blue or does it continuously till i alter engine speed etc. Also a few other things.. the air intake hose from cooler to inlet man is full of coke and oily deposits, so much so i could scrape chunks the size of 50p s off the walls and there was also a lot of loose in their too. Next is, i can at certain engine speeds hold the engine so it produces a hissing noise from the boost system but then if i put my foot down it goes quiet and rockets off or if i let off it dumps like a dump valve. If any one could help with any of these issues i ve mentioned i would be more than greatful.

Dan

p fandango
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 13:10
i'd say your intercoolers gone, mines gone & does the lumpy & smokey thing

DanD5
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 13:48
Ok cheers for that i ll have a look into it.

Dan

p fandango
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 13:49
its normally the bottom of the intercooler thats swollen & distorted

wegal
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 14:36
yeah the D5s and remapped T5's like to bow the intercoolers eventually they develop holes and fail. My local indy says hes forever changing the intercoolers on D5's

Talk to Tim Williams off this forum, he may be able to supply you with an uprated unit that wont keep bowing out and going pop. That said I dont know how long they last before they do it, so maybe not worth the extra cost.

p fandango
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 14:44
That said I dont know how long they last before they do it, so maybe not worth the extra cost.
Bonny's on 166k miles & still struggling on with her intercooler, i got a new intercooler for £100