PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Fan...!

dicky b t5
Wednesday 13th July 2005, 22:12
When i park the car up after a run sometimes the Rad fan kicks in...i know this is normal so no probs...but as soon as i turn off the ignition the fan stops after about two seconds , is this normal ? , i only ask because when i had a 480 ES the fan used to run on for a good minute or so , there for helping the engine cool down better...! anyone else get this.... :frown:

M44K TS
Wednesday 13th July 2005, 22:20
My dad's 850 2.5 10v fan seems to run for about 5 mins after the engine's been switched off but mine is like yours and stops after 2 seconds or so.

My car is a '96 model and my dad's is a '94, must be something to do with the relay

nikgallagher
Thursday 14th July 2005, 08:37
I got back to my car yesterday and the heater fans INSIDE the car were going! Keys were in my hand and the CC was on 0, so no idea what was going on there?!?!? It stopped when key turned to ig I. Spooky...

Martinr
Thursday 14th July 2005, 09:18
Heater fans than run on their own, running lights where the fronts are on and the rears not? Sounds like you may have some electrical issues there. Might be worth getting a good auto electrician to give it the once over.

I know from experience that leaving an interior light on will flatten the battery, I would imagine the fans will do the same in half the time.

Oh and by the way my radiator fan also stops when the ignition is cut. I believe on these cars the fan is controlled by the ECU and doesn't have a relay as such. If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct my assumption.

Vikingxl
Thursday 14th July 2005, 09:50
Dont know about the 850 but on my v70 the rad fan stays on after i have locked up the car for a few minutes after a hard drive.

JackT5
Thursday 14th July 2005, 18:58
Mines a 96 and after a hard run the fan will run for a while after switching off, but after a normal run maybe only seconds, seems to depend a lot on the temp, ecu control?