PDA

View Full Version : Cut out on the M1

boycey
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 23:54
Hi

My 850 T5 came to a sudden stop sunday nite on the M1, was in the 3rd lane put my foot down and suddenly nothing.

Managed to roll safely to the next slip road.
Rac came out to me and we found that it had lost all spark.
He said that he thought it would be the ignition module near the coil.

It has a live earth and signal at the module from the wiring connector.

Has anyone got any other ideas like crank sensor?

Or ways and readings i can check to determine what it is and wether it is the module, crank sensor etc.

It turns over fine, no lights on the dash, just seems to have lost all spark.

Thanks in advance for any help.

pigfight
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 00:06
best to get it plugged in for diagnostics if you can, it could be any one of a number of things :plugs, leads, dizzy, rotor, coil, cam sensor, crank sensor, fuel pump, injectors, ecu, transponder key and probably more!! (mine did the same 2 mnths ago, checked all the above and more, ended up at the volvo dealers and still no clue!!!)
hope you get it sorted mate, let us know how you go. hth.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 00:30
Main things to check are the crank sensor and the cam sensor and associated wiring, I've heard of these sensors failing before.

nobananas
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 21:03
Could be the wiring to that relay under the radiator top cover. When mine was found rotted through it killed the spark and the feed to the cam sensor. Interesting thing I found on an 850 with an intermittent starting problem at work the other day. If you unplug the cam sensor with the engine running it doesn't effect it but it won't start with it unplugged......just thought I'd mention it !

boycey
Thursday 7th October 2010, 12:25
problem fixed

new coil fitted :)

comes complete with new ignition module as well.