PDA

View Full Version : 96 850r vs 97 v70r

pigfight
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 23:35
apart from the front end design, is there any difference in parts/components/performance between a 1996 850r fwd and a 1997 v70r fwd?

Jamest5r
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 00:33
16t on the 850r man, 18t on the v70r man

siamblue
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 13:11
I think there will be a weigt difference as well,

Gary

pigfight
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 14:46
in favour of which one though?

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 16:07
There is a 94kg difference the v70r being heavier, apparentlty there was 1800 changes between the 850 to the v70, so alot more than you think

pigfight
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 16:28
1800!!!!!! bloody el!!
the reason for the question is i currently have an 850r manual, and am considering a 97 v70r manual (2wd), so just wanted to get clued up on it before commiting.

so, so far the differences:
1. bigger turbo
2. heavier

so just another 1798 to be listed.... anyone?

ha ha.

would any of you know any websites with all the details?, ive done searches but cant find much?
cheers for the input folks.

JelT5
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 16:34
1800!!!!!! bloody el!!
the reason for the question is i currently have an 850r manual, and am considering a 97 v70r manual (2wd), so just wanted to get clued up on it before commiting.

so, so far the differences:
1. bigger turbo
2. heavier

so just another 1798 to be listed.... anyone?

ha ha.

would any of you know any websites with all the details?, ive done searches but cant find much?
cheers for the input folks.

3. An extra electric window switch ie. front passenger side (probably adds to the weight lol)
4. wrong lol
5. 302mm brakes

Thats my limit (at the mo) so another 1796 to go...sorry I couldn't help more pigfight :(

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 16:51
if you look at the cars together you will see that nearly everything except a few body panels are different,

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/information-70.shtml

and no, no blue injectors they are for me7 cars

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 16:56
for me it was about styling and i just dont like the inside of the 850's too old fashioned ive had 6 t-5's now 2 855's 2 s70's an me7 v70 t5 and my v70r which is the one i wanted for 10 years. this is also my first manual t5 and really suits the 'R' but on softer models i would prefer the autos they seem quicker.

pigfight
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 17:10
if you look at the cars together you will see that nearly everything except a few body panels is different,

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/information-70.shtml

and no, no blue injectors they are for me7 cars

some interesting info in there, thanks for the link.

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 17:58
I have always preferred the 850 (now on my 3rd) - it may have a bit of a clunky interior, but that was the BTCC shape - not the V70. I think the V70R is, viewed logically, the better car. But the 850R/T5R has a spirit that is diluted, if not parodied in the V70.

They are all so cheap these days, you can chop and change too - so give it a try.

Or get this thing: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-Turbo-GOLD-V70-R-Look-a-like-Spares-Repair-/300474957905?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item45f5b40051

pigfight
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 18:15
ha ha, i saw that on another thread phil,
"car drives really well............" ".........must be towed away"
priceless.
im with you on the 850s though, i do prefer the boxier shape (it somehow looks meaner) and the rawness of the power, but there just doesnt seem to be any manual estates that are in reasonable nick available at the moment.
unless any of you know any different.......
cheers.

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 18:21
i think my saffron v70 r with the dark wheels and windows and grill looks meaner than any 850, i like the v70 cos of what they are not cos they competed all that time ago that dont matter to me

pigfight
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 18:51
your car looks awsome craig, dont get me wrong, i love the look of the phase 1 v70s (especially the rs), but my personal preference leans more toward the 850s, but im going to view and testdrive a v70 at the weekend so that may change.

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 18:57
your car looks awsome craig, dont get me wrong, i love the look of the phase 1 v70s (especially the rs), but my personal preference leans more toward the 850s, but im going to view and testdrive a v70 at the weekend so that may change.

My name is frank, username is my kids names together lol, it depends on the sort of drive and ride you want if you want smooth get a 1999 v70 t5 the 'R''s suspension is rock solid and i feel every bump in mine especially with my 40 series tyres. the autos in the 70 series are excellent and i would prefer them in any other t5 but not the 'R', but in the 850's i didnt like them at all so if you prefer an 850 and lets face it alot of people do (i dunno why lol) i'd recommend a manual.

pigfight
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 19:04
My name is frank, username is my kids names together lol, it depends on the sort of drive and ride you want if you want smooth get a 1999 v70 t5 the 'R''s suspension is rock solid and i feel every bump in mine especially with my 40 series tyres. the autos in the 70 series are excellent and i would prefer them in any other t5 but not the 'R', but in the 850's i didnt like them at all so if you prefer an 850 and lets face it alot of people do (i dunno why lol) i'd recommend a manual.

doh!!! really sorry about that frank.
(note to self: never assume!)
hope i didnt offend you?

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 19:31
doh!!! really sorry about that frank.
(note to self: never assume!)
hope i didnt offend you?

no thats ok i usually get called leigh lol

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 19:55
i do prefer the boxier shape (it somehow looks meaner) and the rawness of the power, but there just doesnt seem to be any manual estates that are in reasonable nick available at the moment.
unless any of you know any different.......
cheers.

Well there is this one:
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy193/charliepippin/DSCF0104.jpg
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy193/charliepippin/Volvo001.jpg
But it isn't for sale...;)

mightywolf
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 20:24
i do quite like the 850 shape, but don't like the interior at all. never had an 850 though. I had a V70 T5 manual and i thought that was fantastic. now i have an S70R and its just awesome. Its an auto but I've grown to prefer it. The kickdown you get is brutal!!!

pigfight
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 20:24
ha ha, show off.
yove got a fantastic looking motor there phil, especially with the titans.
ive got them on my r (swapped em for the volans ages ago, always preferred them) and what ever i end up with (850/v70) im putting the titans on it.

siamblue
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 23:45
I am with most on here, i like the 850 because they are quicker when modded due to the lower weight, but the interior i absolutely detest, i couldn't live with it,

Gary.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 7th October 2010, 08:07
ha ha, show off.
yove got a fantastic looking motor there phil, especially with the titans.
ive got them on my r (swapped em for the volans ages ago, always preferred them) and what ever i end up with (850/v70) im putting the titans on it.

Yeah, I am a show off. Sorry.

To be honest it was a lucky buy - although you are right in saying that manuals tend to be a bit thin on the ground. Watching the market, as I idly do, there has been a huge upsurge in Rs on sale in the last month - not seen so many for a couple of years (petrol prices and credit crunch? Perhaps the inevitable 15 year issues of maintainance? Maybe the sheer amount of fast metal at low prices). Although these have been mainly autos almost always with 100k+.
I sometimes wonder what mine would sell for - I always aimed to get a really rare spec R at a lowish mileage that would retain the bulk of it's original price. Time will tell. I want a decent garage!

pigfight
Thursday 7th October 2010, 17:26
would any of you know if i'd be correct in thinking that all 'under the bonnet stuff' ie: engine, rad, p.s.p, servo, alternator etc. etc. on a 97 v70r (2wd) is the same as a 96 850r? (excluding the turbo and its ancillaries)
cheers