PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to slacken aux belt

Baj
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 17:27
After the massive response to my last question I have found out roughly how to remove the alternator but the one thing I am missing is how to loosen the belt tensioner. Google isn't much help.
I have the car in several bits out the back so a relatively speedy response would be appreciated.
Actually any response would be nice

wegal
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 19:57
sorry mate, no idea....

p fandango
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 20:00
not sure if its the same, but on 850's theirs a square hole in the middle of the tensioner so you can force it back

t5 stealth
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 20:15
if theres a nut in the centre of the pulley (15 mm or 16 mm i think)then you should be able to put a spanner on it to move it back,if you pull or push on the belt you will see which way will losen as the tentioner will move.
if its a square in the centre then same thing applies,find something to fit in the square (possibly 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive ratchet) then push tensioner back with that.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 21:44
When I removed the tensioner on my 02 V70 assuming the S60 is the same the tensioner has a 14mm bolt on if I remember correctly if you pull towards you it will slacken push away and the bolt and it will undo.

Baj
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 22:04
You see I was expecting a nut, what I have is a mildly conical top with a small hole 7-8mm, possibly hex. It is hard to tell due to it being wedged down inside the side of the wheelarch

nobananas
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 22:16
Is this what you have got ?

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=105_570_579&products_id=5920

...looks like a torx bit to me.

Baj
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 22:31
It certainly has the large torxy casting hole.

nobananas
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 23:04
...also looks as though you are supposed to push the torx bit further through and use it to lock the tensioner off using that hole in the backplate......I'll bet there's a specially tool for that !

daveforber
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 23:43
This link of any use (presumably it's a bit naughty, but as it's not hosted here)... http://theeshadow.com/files/S40MY2005/b5244s4_auxiliaries_belt.pdf

Yes, it mentions a special tool. Boo!

Baj
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 02:21
Not much as it is a different engine.

I have seen a tool for the tensioner on a 850 made out of 3 coins and a clamp. The tool is just the right shaped prong and a lever.

I just need to know the prong shape and the angle of leverage.
Almost all the engines I have found instructions for say pull clockwise.

I am thinking that the torxey hole might be a fulcrum point.

I'll try again tomorrow.

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 16:14
Yep I used a large nut. I Held sideways in a set of molegrips. Worked a treat.

Baj
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 17:07
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/bajw92/chamberlain3.jpg

While searching the net for images of a tensioner tool I came across a thread on the volvoforums which contained, amongsth other stuff, a single important line: 'Prise off the cap with a screwdriver'.
Sure enough, popped it off and underneath was a 14mm nut. Grab and twist, no special tools needed.
I may write up a how-to. Once I work out how to get it back together again.

nobananas
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 22:18
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/bajw92/chamberlain3.jpg

While searching the net for images of a tensioner tool I came across a thread on the volvoforums which contained, amongsth other stuff, a single important line: 'Prise off the cap with a screwdriver'.
Sure enough, popped it off and underneath was a 14mm nut. Grab and twist, no special tools needed.
I may write up a how-to. Once I work out how to get it back together again.

Nicely done although I think that may be cheating Lol !

Baj
Friday 8th October 2010, 02:07
For those that care I have managed to source a brand new voltage regulator for £30+VAT. Volvo want £98+