PDA

View Full Version : Brake self Adjusters

matthewwoodward
Monday 4th October 2010, 23:00
My handbrkae doesnt seem to self adjust?
I put new shoes pads and discs on and have adjusted it twice, its loose again now and not holding.
Any ideas or do I need to replace the adjusters?
If so, where do I get them?

streaky744
Wednesday 13th October 2010, 21:41
check shoes are fitted and located properly. i had same problem with the c70 when i bought it.

i stripped and cleaned everything and re adjusted till solid so disc not move by hand, then back it of two or three clicks and job was a good one.

if your old shoes / drums where really worn your hand brake cable may be stretched and need tightening a bit. adjust shoes at rear first then see how many clicks handbrake comes up, if to many adjust handbrake cable, which is a ball ache to get to most of the time

mightywolf
Thursday 14th October 2010, 08:35
also make sure your handbrake cable isn't seized. mine did the same thing and i couldn't work it out. turned out the cable had seized solid on one side and needed to be changed. I'd kept adjusting the cable and the adjusters on the back and couldn't understand why it didn't work!!!

nobananas
Monday 25th October 2010, 22:49
The handbrake won't self adjust because they aren't fitted with self adjusters. To adjust the handbrake you need to turn the toothed wheel through a hole in the disc bell with a screwdriver. Adjust it until the handbrake is hard on, then back it off until the disc just turns. It may be an idea to slacken off your handbrake cable first as often people adjust the handbrake to cure excessive travel when it's the shoes that need adjusting and over adjusting the handbrake travel to compensate for badly adjusted shoes will cause problems.