PDA

View Full Version : The Great Air Con

Simh
Wednesday 13th July 2005, 18:01
Hi All

My T5 has a problem with it aircon. It works great when you first get in the car and drive. (nice and cool) but after a short time it gets warm !!!! much to my horror especially with the weather as it is at the mo !

Anyway had an Aircon guy at my house today. After hanging around waiting for him to show. He hooks up the test kit and set his thermometer in the car and yes its all working fine in fact the temp goes down to 7.1 after a while we hear the compressor turn off and then the temp in the car races up 22.2 with the aircon on flat out.

The nice man then tells me that it’s a sensor of some sort and I need an auto electrician with a diagnostic machine he can then tell me what’s not working. Anyway looks like tomorrow is another waiting day.

What a way to spend my holidays

Anyone got any ideas ?

Vikingxl
Wednesday 13th July 2005, 18:05
Sound exactly like mine which is the compressor.Where are you as if you are near birmingham you could use the same man as me and a few others.

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2904

Simh
Wednesday 13th July 2005, 18:10
Hi

I am in worcester and had a guy who I supply Nitrile Gloves too. Gastechnique (chris Price) He told me he has seen 3 Volvos with the same fault in the last week. Will let you know how i get on with the Auto elec tomorrow.

Vikingxl
Wednesday 13th July 2005, 18:15
Rich the bloke that sorted mine checked all the wiring and it was fine he could only find the fault when the compressor cut out and then the electrical feed wemt to the compressor but then nothing happened.Sounds like your man and mine are working together on these as he did say that he and a mate of his had seen three volvos in the last week i think the three concerned are Martinr mulletboy 2 and myself, welcome to the club.Good luck tomorrow.

Simh
Wednesday 13th July 2005, 18:29
Oh Right

well will keep you upto date tomorrow. I think you said yours was the compressor? Was it very expensive ????

oh well am sure it will get sorted Then the weather will change and we will all be wanting the heaters working.

Doing a job RIGHT the first time gets the job done. Doing the job WRONG fourteen times gives you job security.

Vikingxl
Wednesday 13th July 2005, 18:34
He is quoting £350 fitted which is less than i thought you might be in luck though as you may be able to get a recon one it depends how much time you have.Depending on what happens with mine i might get the old one reconed then sell it.Time is a problem for me so i have had to go with the new one(holiday soon),and once the compressor is out the car is off the road.

lighterfuel
Wednesday 13th July 2005, 22:28
I have posted elsewhere on this very problem. My air con does the very same thing and i find that if i really rev the car or kick down hard, then the cold air returns with vengance.

The reason

volvo's chief mechanic at my local dealership hooked it all up and told me that it was indeed the compressor and here's the best bit. Volvo are fully aware of this fault as it was discovered a few years after design and as it was not really life threatening never bothered a recall. Apparently, the clutch in the unit gets stuck and you may notice that it tends to only happen with the current HOT weather. That is also, apparently, something to do with overheating in the unit. I do have to say that i have not had any problem with it until the recent weather set in.

The costs vary, Volvo quoted me near on £900 inc Vat and regassing etc and part. My aircon man can get a new unit for £269 inc Vat and postage and would fit it for approx all in for £350. My chap also suggested that in involves taking the old one out from under the car as its easier (apparently Volvo told him that!). So as the other people have said, shop around, DONT go to Stealer ship, they will take your cash with a smug smile!!!

for me, i have windows in the car and not sure on whether to do it or face facts that our Summers dont last long.

Good luck mate!!!

Simh
Thursday 14th July 2005, 13:02
The latest on The Great Air Con

The electrickery man has been and put his magic tool on the car only to tell me that as I’ve only got basic air con there’s no diagnostic available. He then tells me that it will be the frost stat which is housed under the dash in the heater box (dash out to change)

I am fed up with ******* cars that you cant work on !!! unless you happen to have a degree in rocket science.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

All hot and bothered in my T5 thanks GOD its White

andi t5
Thursday 14th July 2005, 16:44
The latest on The Great Air Con

The electrickery man has been and put his magic tool on the car only to tell me that as I’ve only got basic air con there’s no diagnostic available. He then tells me that it will be the frost stat which is housed under the dash in the heater box (dash out to change)

I am fed up with ******* cars that you cant work on !!! unless you happen to have a degree in rocket science.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

All hot and bothered in my T5 thanks GOD its Whiteyou can work on them ,air con aint magic! you dont need diagnostic codes to sus out what the problem is if you know how a air con system works in the first place, take it to someone who knows their job !

Simh
Thursday 14th July 2005, 20:24
Thanks for that concise and to the point advise

The comment about not being able to work on them was supposed to be funny !

Have replaced the temperature control valve in the heater box a 15-20 min job is located next to the pollen filter. That seems to have solved my problems. The air con not turning its self of now.

p fandango
Thursday 14th July 2005, 20:35
all these problems people have been having with aircon makes me glad i haven't got it :haha:

andi t5
Friday 15th July 2005, 00:42
[QUOTE=Pedro Fandango]all these problems people have been having with aircon makes me glad i haven't got it :haha:[/QUOTE dead right, you cant beat sitting in a traffic jam with the vents blowing polluted air at 30c all over you , pure quality

Justin
Friday 15th July 2005, 08:37
Lol @ andi