Sunday 3rd October 2010, 16:50
whats a safe boost pressure for my 18t?

p fandango
Sunday 3rd October 2010, 17:14
it depends how much fuelling you've got

T5frankie
Sunday 3rd October 2010, 17:18
it depends how much fuelling you've got

im running around 15psi what would i need to do to take this up to the maximum safe level?

T5frankie
Monday 4th October 2010, 16:55
what is the most boost i can make safely with an mbc?

smithy
Monday 4th October 2010, 17:01
put blue me7 injectors in and push the boost to 18 psi to 20 psi max but get the car on the rollers when setting boost mate

T5frankie
Monday 4th October 2010, 17:09
what about greens?

smithy
Monday 4th October 2010, 17:26
too big for what you need mate blues will be fine and cheaper

T5frankie
Monday 4th October 2010, 17:47
too big for what you need mate blues will be fine and cheaper

what car would these originally come out of? and would i just put in and they will work?

smithy
Monday 4th October 2010, 17:53
me7 t5 mate any t5 after 2000 use them and you will get a set for 50 pounds max but get them cleaned by jimathan if i was you

T5frankie
Monday 4th October 2010, 17:57
i had an me7 t5 and that was a phase one 1999, so just put them in and thats it?

smithy
Monday 4th October 2010, 18:04
and get the car on the rollers to check fueling when turning boost up any rollers can check your afrs whilst the boost goes up and your car is already mapped too.the blues will fuel your car no probs mate just fit them and the ecu will sort fueling out for you on standard driving

T5frankie
Monday 4th October 2010, 18:07
and get the car on the rollers to check fueling when turning boost up any rollers can check your afrs whilst the boost goes up and your car is already mapped too.the blues will fuel your car no probs mate just fit them and the ecu will sort fueling out for you on standard driving

and how do i get the boost up just with an mbc?

smithy
Monday 4th October 2010, 18:16
disconnect the bcs hoses that goes to the turbo and actuator and plug them into the mbc but make sure you get a good quality mbc.then turn it up bit of a time with a decent boost gauge in the car so you can check what you are boosting at.just go for a drive to see what you are boosting at then set the boost at 1.2 bar max until you get the car on the rollers then you can turn it up some more whilst checking the afrs

T5frankie
Monday 4th October 2010, 18:21
disconnect the bcs hoses that goes to the turbo and actuator and plug them into the mbc but make sure you get a good quality mbc.then turn it up bit of a time with a decent boost gauge in the car so you can check what you are boosting at.just go for a drive to see what you are boosting at then set the boost at 1.2 bar max until you get the car on the rollers then you can turn it up some more whilst checking the afrs

its boosting at a bar sometimes it hits 1.1

smithy
Monday 4th October 2010, 18:22
1.2 bar no probs

gmain1967
Monday 4th October 2010, 20:45
put blue me7 injectors in and push the boost to 18 psi to 20 psi max but get the car on the rollers when setting boost mate

You can genuinely run at 18 to 20psi, by changing the injectors, and setting the fuelling up on R/R??? That's nearly double standard boost!!! If it is OK, I know what I'll be looking out for....

T5frankie
Monday 4th October 2010, 21:36
You can genuinely run at 18 to 20psi, by changing the injectors, and setting the fuelling up on R/R??? That's nearly double standard boost!!! If it is OK, I know what I'll be looking out for....

what?

gmain1967
Monday 4th October 2010, 21:57
what?

That's what I'm asking Smithy, or anyone else for that matter!!!!

smithy
Monday 4th October 2010, 23:38

as i have already mentioned earlier bending rods but i all depends on how it is setup though

Jamest5r
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 01:38

That's what im doing, running 1.4bar(20psi) and battering down the 1/4mile, it's about how you drive the car with that much pressure, yes if your the type of person that will just put his foot flat to the floor in 4th at 2k rpm than you have a fair chance of bending the rods but if you understand that you have to drop a gear and keep it over 3k to floor it then ive had no problems. Yes i agree running that much pressure on standard rods can pose a risk. I also know Leighkiacraigmia is a hgv driver and understands torque stress' on an engine so i think he will be fine.

gmain1967
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 06:26
That's what im doing, running 1.4bar(20psi) and battering down the 1/4mile, it's about how you drive the car with that much pressure, yes if your the type of person that will just put his foot flat to the floor in 4th at 2k rpm than you have a fair chance of bending the rods but if you understand that you have to drop a gear and keep it over 3k to floor it then ive had no problems. Yes i agree running that much pressure on standard rods can pose a risk. I also know Leighkiacraigmia is a hgv driver and understands torque stress' on an engine so i think he will be fine.

I thought there had to be some pre-requisites with driving style tbh. I have always tended to drive a car in a lower gear, with higher rpm, rather than just flooring it in whatever gear but to stay safe, think I'll steer clear (no pun) of those boost levels!

Cheers

JelT5
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 12:34
I thought there had to be some pre-requisites with driving style tbh. I have always tended to drive a car in a lower gear, with higher rpm, rather than just flooring it in whatever gear but to stay safe, think I'll steer clear (no pun) of those boost levels!

Cheers

No don't steer clear of them!
Those boost levels are just great lol you have to be a tad cautious....sort of...mostly...sometimes (unlike me) ;)

Seriously though, James' advice is right on the nail.

smithy
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 16:58

Cheers

also i would only run those boost levels with a 18t or above less heat larger turbo etc and driving style is key too because you can bend rods at 1.1 bar if the car is driven hard all the time from 2k

T5frankie
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 17:06

yeah cheers mate i wondered why your car was so bloody quick, what mbc are you using? and would you recommend it? and what injectors are you using?

smithy
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 17:11
yeah cheers mate i wondered why your car was so bloody quick, what mbc are you using? and would you recommend it? and what injectors are you using?

he is using me7 blues and a forge unos mbc sorry james is working at mo

T5frankie
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 17:17
he is using me7 blues and a forge unos mbc sorry james is working at mo

where can i pick one of those up mate?

smithy
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 17:30
where can i pick one of those up mate?

i think the forge factory is near you mate so pop in you might get it cheaper

T5frankie
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 17:37
i think the forge factory is near you mate so pop in you might get it cheaper

thats a bit expensive for an mbc why? is it much better than the cheaper versions?

smithy
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 17:40
thats a bit expensive for an mbc why? is it much better than the cheaper versions?

thats why i said go to the factory mate but it is a good bit of kit

T5frankie
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 17:47
thats why i said go to the factory mate but it is a good bit of kit

in your opinion is it worth 4 times as much as the cheaper ones? and they are in gloucester

smithy
Tuesday 5th October 2010, 17:49
yes but thats my opinion

Jamest5r
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 01:15
Again only my opinion of what ive used, tried a r-spec one and it was all over the place but many people are fine with them, with the forge one ive never had any spike or variation to what ive set it at and that gives me confidence to run it at the limit's i want to.

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 16:09
Again only my opinion of what ive used, tried a r-spec one and it was all over the place but many people are fine with them, with the forge one ive never had any spike or variation to what ive set it at and that gives me confidence to run it at the limit's i want to.

they do one at around £33 looks similar you reckon that will be any good?

gmain1967
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 16:16
I went with the R Spec one last week, and it has been totally consistent according to the gauge. Been asking around about blue injectors today so......

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 16:25
I went with the R Spec one last week, and it has been totally consistent according to the gauge. Been asking around about blue injectors today so......

havn't alot of people slagged them off?

gmain1967
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 16:35
havn't alot of people slagged them off?

I did a lot of research on MBC's not just for the T5, but when I had the T4, and the R Spec issues seemed to be solely related to a specific batch, which had weak springs, and which were unable to hold higher boost levels. Other than that, they have seemed to have good reliability from what I can see, and don't cost the earth.

Mate has ran an R spec on a tuned Subaru for two years now, and he swears by it (as opposed to at it!), so that was a vote in it's favour for me as well...

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 16:40
im gonna get a forge one i think and some blues boost it up to 18psi i think

smithy
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 23:49
my forge mbc held boost at 1.6 bar no probs but the ecu didnt like it though lol.that will be sorted next year standalone lol