PDA

View Full Version : HEAD skim? and tapping?

KellyJones
Saturday 2nd October 2010, 18:46
just started my 850 after head skim/cams out etc, i asume its normal for the top end to be tappy for a while? i have run it up to almost full temp and it very tappy , ? i guess most cars will hydrolic tappets get this after work?

leet5r
Saturday 2nd October 2010, 20:27
just started my 850 after head skim/cams out etc, i asume its normal for the top end to be tappy for a while? i have run it up to almost full temp and it very tappy , ? i guess most cars will hydrolic tappets get this after work?

mine took a few runs out in to quieten them down , give it a few days/week to sort its self out , try a bit foot down action aswell to thin the oil aswell

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 2nd October 2010, 21:01
Mine did sound a bit crappy for a bit too after the HG change, its bound to happen with the age of the engine.

I'm assuming you did put the tappets back in the same order?

KellyJones
Saturday 2nd October 2010, 22:09
thanks for the responses, i am sure i got the tappets back in the same order as taken out, ok so it can take a good few miles to sort its self out, good .....as long as its normal! the car wont get driven on the road until some point next year, thanks again

Alan M
Sunday 3rd October 2010, 20:58
The tappets should quieten down fairly quickly within a short drive if they are good items. I would have fitted new items before reassembley as a full set off Rufe is around £135.