PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil level

Wheelspinwardrobe
Saturday 2nd October 2010, 16:30
As some of you may have read, I took the first long trip in my 850 T5 yesterday, I have had the car just over a month and she hasnt burnt any oil what so ever HOWEVER it appears after checking the oil just moments ago that it has gone down. It was over-full a touch from when I brought it and stayed the same till yesterday (checked before I left) Does this mean bad things i.e turbo using oil etc etc. Not sure what difference a long run would make!!!!

Thanks Phill

thunderace
Sunday 3rd October 2010, 12:13
Don't know if this will help, but all journeys create condensation, so if the journeys are short the oil level appears static. Go on a long journey, getting the oil hot long enough to evaporate the condensation, and the level appears lower.

jt racing
Sunday 3rd October 2010, 18:43
Most cars will use a bit of oil alright. Mine puts some blue smoke out if idling for a while but i wouldn't worry to much. Mine needs a little every 2 weeks or so, but even the people carrier needs a splash every now and then. Thats why its recommended to check them every week.

AndysR
Sunday 3rd October 2010, 21:02
Could just be where, if you have been doing a lot of short runs, the extra fuel used during warm up which can bypass the rings and mix with the engine oil has been evaporated off as a result of the engine being maintained at operating temperature for a longer period of time. I believe Volvo quote that up to a 1,000 miles a litre is acceptable consumption for these, top up the level and monitor the consumption to see how it fairs.