PDA

View Full Version : My S60 diesel hunt ended with a V70R

doumac
Saturday 2nd October 2010, 16:08
Hi All

Well my hunt for a S60 D5 SE Sport took a funny direction. Due to constantly trawling the web for the last couple of weeks I must have known every Volvo for sale in Britain.

I genuinely believed that a good low mileage V70R would be well outside my £7500 budget, then I spotted one in Arnie's. 53 plate, geartronic, flash green with blue interior, 59k miles with excellent service record and overall in great nick, apart from the little age associated blemishes, and a 60 day warranty. Came in at just under £7k and naturally it's in my driveway.

My wife never even asked why the 50mpg diesel had magically turned into something that will get me invited to the staff dance at the local filling station. I think she just realised years ago that I was a putz!

After 150 miles I am delighted and all the gizmos seem to work, but going to put it into my mechanic's for a thorough medical during the week.

I have had an S40 T4, 850R and an S70R but this is something altogether different. Some piece of kit, wish me luck!

Cheers

Santa
Saturday 2nd October 2010, 16:23
V70R purchases seem to be popular at the moment...(2nd this week lol)

Any pics?

doumac
Saturday 2nd October 2010, 16:30
V70R purchases seem to be popular at the moment...(2nd this week lol)

Any pics?

Will get some soon!

doumac
Sunday 3rd October 2010, 13:18
Sorry about the quality.

Cheers

T5frankie
Sunday 3rd October 2010, 13:20
thats the one i want but with the lovely orange leather lol

Cubes
Sunday 3rd October 2010, 14:05
Awesome looking car there matey

AndysR
Sunday 3rd October 2010, 18:28
Nice car, always had a soft spot for the last of the R's
Any plans for the car at all?

doumac
Sunday 3rd October 2010, 21:46
Nice car, always had a soft spot for the last of the R's
Any plans for the car at all?

No plans for any mods, it's nice to have an original car and if it went any faster I'd kill myself anyway!!

t5_monkey
Sunday 3rd October 2010, 22:27
remap will remove the torque limiter in 1st and 2nd ;)

give it 6 months... you will succumb to the dark side.

Santa
Sunday 3rd October 2010, 23:04
remap will remove the torque limiter in 1st and 2nd ;)

give it 6 months... you will succumb to the dark side.
And nuke transmission components lol

DMV70R
Monday 4th October 2010, 06:01
Hi, great to see someone else who went looking for a diesel and came home with 300 horses. We must have pick our cars up virtually the same day.
Hope all goes well.

doumac
Monday 4th October 2010, 08:52
Hi, great to see someone else who went looking for a diesel and came home with 300 horses. We must have pick our cars up virtually the same day.
Hope all goes well.

We've also got the same initials - DM!

burchi
Monday 4th October 2010, 16:21
Hi All

Well my hunt for a S60 D5 SE Sport took a funny direction. Due to constantly trawling the web for the last couple of weeks I must have known every Volvo for sale in Britain.

I genuinely believed that a good low mileage V70R would be well outside my £7500 budget, then I spotted one in Arnie's. 53 plate, geartronic, flash green with blue interior, 59k miles with excellent service record and overall in great nick, apart from the little age associated blemishes, and a 60 day warranty. Came in at just under £7k and naturally it's in my driveway.

My wife never even asked why the 50mpg diesel had magically turned into something that will get me invited to the staff dance at the local filling station. I think she just realised years ago that I was a putz!

After 150 miles I am delighted and all the gizmos seem to work, but going to put it into my mechanic's for a thorough medical during the week.

I have had an S40 T4, 850R and an S70R but this is something altogether different. Some piece of kit, wish me luck!

Cheers

Hi...

Looks like a lovely car you have there. Hope you enjoy it.

Can I recommend that as it's still such low mileage, you will be able to buy a warranty for it. Get the biggest and best one you can. They are horrifically expensive when they go wrong these cars and there are numerous frequent fail parts on them.

Examples are:

Transfer box - approx £1,200
Shocks - £450 per shock plus fitting
Wheel bearing kits -approx £140 plus fittting
Various sensors - From £80 - £300
Handbrake shoes - £60 plus fitting

If you go the tuning route, make sure you get a boost gauge fitted too as the blocks on these engines are very prone to splitting if they suffer overboost. I am now on engine number 3 and the 4th set of front shocks on my car!

When they run right though they are great and very much understated.

Ian

Steve Wil
Thursday 4th November 2010, 09:10
Hi I recently found a S 60 to

The car is great very smooth and still powerful regardless of doing 174000 miles.
The only thing i am not sure of is the car is a Se model, but the trip computer does not seem to be working, my model has full leather , cruise etc , but no trip.

Is the trip computer standard or a extra, and if standard any ideas as to why it is not working.