PDA

View Full Version : Wastegate adjustment on a turbo diesel?

ddmgti
Friday 1st October 2010, 18:15
Apoligies if this is a daft question i recently bought a 1999 v40 1.9 diesel the 95 bhp direct injection version , i know very little about diesels, had a t5 a bit ago and adjusted wastegate actuator and improved driving the car greatly, there seems to be tuning boxes you can buy but at near £300 and i,m presently unemployed thats not feasible, car drives ok but a bit more oomphh wouldn,t go a miss, so can you adjust the wastegate a bit ? thanks for any advice

CONDYBOY
Friday 1st October 2010, 21:37
Hi mate, you can adjust the wastegate but if the same as my 2001 1.9dt3, it won't make any difference. the ecu controls the wastegate and decides when to dump and how much. they aren't the same as petrol as the engines run permenant vacuum through the c.v. system, the ecu opens a valve to the wastegate and dumps when necessary. I may be wrong about yours but that is how mine works and no way to adjust. I even bought an MBC to put on my car but found out this info after spending some beer tokens. hope this helps mate.

ddmgti
Saturday 2nd October 2010, 12:19
Thanks for that i,m a complete novice on Diesel engines, looking at the set up there does not appear to be a Boost Control Solenoid anywhere? though must be something to control boost, i,ll keep searching for more info on engine i gather its basically a Renault engine

CONDYBOY
Friday 8th October 2010, 23:20
Yep it is basically a Renault lump. The wastegate solenoid is just at the back of the engine (follow the vacuum pipe from the wastegate on the turbo. I got a HLM remap for my ecu which shows just over 30psi when under heavy acceleration (was showing 24psi before remap). this seems to be way for more boost. The turbo is capable but I have been warned that my engine will blow up if I overuse too much. i think it does fine for a 9 year old car. although I do need to replace the turbo seals as I am just starting to show some smoke when accelerating hard. Not too bad a job and I think I'll do a full service with timing belt at the same time, as the oil and coolant will be dropped anyway.
I re-read abot adjusting the actuator on the turbo wastegate and it is set for the solenoid not for boost pressire but if you adjust you may stop the actuator dumping clearly and be left with too much boost. If you find anything to the contrary please let us know there's not too much info on modding the diesel lump but I would love to upgrade my injectors but can't find the info needed to do the job. the 52plate laguna has the same engine and standard has 120bhp, could just be the ecu map used but it's still 5 more than ours is standard. mine is around the 145bhp after the remap.