PDA

View Full Version : Steaming Air Con !

JOHN 850
Wednesday 13th July 2005, 10:33
Have posted this in the C section, but wondered in any S/V70 owners have had this ?

I have started getting a steam/mist from the air vents when the air con has been on for 1/2 hour. At first thought it was heater matrix, but doesn't smell of coolant (or anything else), the level hasn't dropped & the carpets aren't wet ? Also, when the fan is put to max, it makes a strange noise ? If a turn the a/c off the steam dissappears slowly. Btw, the air is chilled when the a/c is on.

It seems to me that the could be a build up of ice somewhere that's coming into contact with something warm - has anyone had this problem !

Cheers,

John.

Goof
Wednesday 13th July 2005, 12:58
I only get the steam effect when I first put AC on when the windows have been down, lasts for a minute or so - never any other time.

Does it do same when directed at different areas? ~ i.e. footwell instead of face (or vice versa).

Justin
Wednesday 13th July 2005, 16:51
Check the pipes that feed the matrix, just before they go into the bulk head in the engine bay, if they are iced there is a blockage somewhere, thats all i can help mate :)

swordy21
Thursday 14th July 2005, 12:12
This is just humidity (water vapour) in the atmosphere condensing into water droplets. As air temp drops so does the dew point (ability of air to hold water in gaseous form), so the vapour condenses giving this mist. Tis exactly the same principle as fog forming outside. Would be more noticable on humid days like we've been having recently. Nothing to worry about, indeed means yr aircon is working quite efficiently.

If the vapour smells or makes you feel ill, then that's a different matter, time for an aircon engineer.