PDA

View Full Version : turbo control valve.. how do i fit it ?

wegal
Thursday 30th September 2010, 10:32
Hi all I have a new TCV to fit .... but cos im inept and stupid i have no idea how to fit it, or even where the hell on the car to look ! Im guessing its under the bonnet some where...

Anyone know where I start looking and which pipe goes to which bit, the unit has 3 pipe bits on it numbered 1 , 2 and 3. Its an IPD unit.

princepugh
Thursday 30th September 2010, 15:57
Follow the air intake from the grille, back to the air-filter box, you'll see the little grey TCV hanging off the airbox on the left.

The hoses are colour coded:-

Red goes to the compressor
Blue goes to the air intake pipe (lower down the inlet tract, near the turbo)
Yellow goes to the actuator

Both stock and after-market TCV have colour dots on each union so you can't go wrong.

Recommend you replaced the hoses too when you get chance.

HTH

cornclose
Thursday 30th September 2010, 16:07
I think newer ones are grey, older ones are black. So if you can't find a grey thing, look for black.

At least it was black on mine, and I replaced it with a grey one. And no the old one wasn't dirty. :partysmil

princepugh
Thursday 30th September 2010, 16:14
BTW - the old hoses are absolutely filthy and will stain your hands for days if you don't use gloves.

wegal
Thursday 30th September 2010, 17:01
Thanks guys :-) I love you all sooooo much !

S60-MBS
Thursday 30th September 2010, 17:06
A bit late but see if this helps at all.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=100845&highlight=TCV

volvokid
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 20:44
This is a old thread but it has been very useful, I changed the valve in five minutes. I didn't do a battery reset, I took the car out and I immediately felt the throttle control in first gear was vastly improved :-) I have took the cover off the air box so i can See if the car is going to spit its dummy out with the AMS fitted

LeeT5
Wednesday 30th May 2012, 10:24
...just seen some tumble weed roll by on this thread....don't worry bruv, i'm wiv yer!! :)

stribo
Wednesday 30th May 2012, 15:33
This is a old thread but it has been very useful, I changed the valve in five minutes. I didn't do a battery reset, I took the car out and I immediately felt the throttle control in first gear was vastly improved :-) I have took the cover off the air box so i can See if the car is going to spit its dummy out with the AMS fitted

In what way do you mean the throttle control was better? improved response/less laggy, or better feel through the whole speed range. I ask, as I think our R feels quite laggy, but that may be because I normally drive a n/a V6, so I'm used to instant power.

LeeT5
Thursday 31st May 2012, 14:32
In what way do you mean the throttle control was better? improved response/less laggy, or better feel through the whole speed range. I ask, as I think our R feels quite laggy, but that may be because I normally drive a n/a V6, so I'm used to instant power.

Martyn is right. My throttle also improved as did my base idle. Before it was lumpy, after fitting it was vastly improved. Drives nicer, accelerates smoother. All togther a much better driving experience....and pulls harder without surging!