PDA

View Full Version : Auto boxers

Knight Rider
Thursday 30th September 2010, 00:17
To everyone who has an auto box.

Do you actually use any of the lockable gears 2/3/4 or do you just leave it in D - drive the whole time?

jez.w
Thursday 30th September 2010, 13:31
I have an 850 auto t5 with an HLM RICA 280 which has transformed the way the car drives. I never manually shift the gears, i find it quickest to select Drive with sports mode on (will kick down instantly and rev to the red line) and just drive, its very rapid through the gears and there is no way you could change gear quicker manually. In economy mode it pulls lovely from low revs but you dont get the full the benefit of the higher revs as it changes gear at about 4000 revs, but all this helps save petrol when driving normally. Also you dont get such a good gear change when you manually shift the autobox, it kind of hesistates and holds the gear longer.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 30th September 2010, 13:50
It can be useful on a long descent or a steep hill to save the brakes - for example, if you are towing notch it into 3rd or 2nd.

jez.w
Thursday 30th September 2010, 16:23
That is true Flatout Phil. I have occasionally use 3rd when the car infront is going slowly, my motor coasts along at 55 ish just feathering the throttle in D. This saves keep driving on the brakes or right up the car infronts backend. I never accelerate through the gears manually as this isnt as quick as sports mode in my car and doesnt change gear as nicely.

It is just about impossible to drive at constant 30mph in Drive without dabbing the brakes regularly or taking your foot on and off the accelerator.

T5frankie
Thursday 30th September 2010, 17:23
I have an 850 auto t5 with an HLM RICA 280 which has transformed the way the car drives. I never manually shift the gears, i find it quickest to select Drive with sports mode on (will kick down instantly and rev to the red line) and just drive, its very rapid through the gears and there is no way you could change gear quicker manually. In economy mode it pulls lovely from low revs but you dont get the full the benefit of the higher revs as it changes gear at about 4000 revs, but all this helps save petrol when driving normally. Also you dont get such a good gear change when you manually shift the autobox, it kind of hesistates and holds the gear longer.

exactly what he said lol

LiamT4
Thursday 30th September 2010, 17:27
To everyone who has an auto box.

Do you actually use any of the lockable gears 2/3/4 or do you just leave it in D - drive the whole time?

I think i know what you mean.

When i had my t4, which had a 5spd auto, and would go out for a drive around some nice roads i would lock it in 3rd, which would mean the car would only use 1st,2nd and 3rd, which made the car much more responsive.

I'll try to explain what i mean.
One of the problems with autos is they are always trying to get into the highest gear possible to help with fuel consumption, so when you were travelling fast and would take your foot off the gas for a corner it would change up a gear, then when you brake it would change down, and when you started to accelerate again, it would be in the wrong gear and there would be a small delay while it sorted itself out.
By locking the higher gears out, the car would usually be in the right gear and in its "power band", and would respond much quicker. And made it much more fun :firedevil

Am i close to what you mean? Or miles out! lol

BTW i have yet to do this in my s70r auto, which only has a 4 spd box, so don't know if it would be exactly the same, but i'd of thought the outcome would be similar.

Knight Rider
Thursday 30th September 2010, 23:40
I think i know what you mean.

When i had my t4, which had a 5spd auto, and would go out for a drive around some nice roads i would lock it in 3rd, which would mean the car would only use 1st,2nd and 3rd, which made the car much more responsive.

I'll try to explain what i mean.
One of the problems with autos is they are always trying to get into the highest gear possible to help with fuel consumption, so when you were travelling fast and would take your foot off the gas for a corner it would change up a gear, then when you brake it would change down, and when you started to accelerate again, it would be in the wrong gear and there would be a small delay while it sorted itself out.
By locking the higher gears out, the car would usually be in the right gear and in its "power band", and would respond much quicker. And made it much more fun :firedevil

Am i close to what you mean? Or miles out! lol

BTW i have yet to do this in my s70r auto, which only has a 4 spd box, so don't know if it would be exactly the same, but i'd of thought the outcome would be similar.

Yes, thats exactly what i mean. I have a 4 speed auto in my C70 and like you said there's an awful lot of 30/40 mph roads around my way - i find the car in D always ( as it would ) wants to get into the highest gear as soon as possible, which on corners sometimes leaves it in the wrong gear, til it sorts itself out and changes down.
Unfortunatley i don't have an option for sports, economy or anything else, just P,R,N,D,4,3, L and Winter - so hence why i posted a querey to see what the rest of you guys do.

simpT5
Friday 1st October 2010, 13:49
Unfortunatley i don't have an option for sports, economy or anything else, just P,R,N,D,4,3, L and Winter - so hence why i posted a querey to see what the rest of you guys do.

You have the same autobox as me then with only the 'W' winter button.

Did you know if you put in 3rd then press the winter button, the transmission drops down to 2nd gear and stays locked in 2nd?

Great for blasting about at relativley low speeds (20 - 40 mph) without waiting for the box to sort itself out!

By the way, if your lever positions go P R N D 4 3 L, you have a 5 speed box.

My four speed (AW50-42) goes P R N D 3 L.

Knight Rider
Friday 1st October 2010, 15:36
You have the same autobox as me then with only the 'W' winter button.

Did you know if you put in 3rd then press the winter button, the transmission drops down to 2nd gear and stays locked in 2nd?

Great for blasting about at relativley low speeds (20 - 40 mph) without waiting for the box to sort itself out!

By the way, if your lever positions go P R N D 4 3 L, you have a 5 speed box.

My four speed (AW50-42) goes P R N D 3 L.

Does it? well didn't know that, nor did i know i had a 5 speed box i thought all the auto's were 4 speed. Clearly im not as clued up on my Volvo as i first thought

silverback02
Saturday 30th October 2010, 03:26
You should have the AW 50/51 SN box. (5 speed)
But to find out exactly, post your VIN No on here and we can check Vadis or newer for you.
Joe.

RTS70R
Saturday 30th October 2010, 22:34

My S70r goes to the redline even in economy setting
The only difference in sports is at certain speeds it will to lowest gear possible even if it just eeks out the last 500rpm of that gear

t5_monkey
Saturday 30th October 2010, 22:51
I prefer handling my own stick.... :) Although you can feel the lag when you release the power and shift then get back on the power in the next gear.

... now full power manual changes, that would be good.