PDA

View Full Version : Geartronic Question...

helrazor
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 13:31
Newbie question....Is there a rev limiter on my car (the T5). I started using the geartronic option and I'm still not used to it. I was taking on this little Acura from a stoplight and got caught up in the moment and forgot to shift out of first gear :eek:. My car started to cut out but did not shut off. I didn't notice how high I got on the RPM's. Of Course when I felt the hesitation I let off the juice and realized what a dork I was. Ever done this?

Bracer
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 13:40
Newbie question....Is there a rev limiter on my car (the T5). I started using the geartronic option and I'm still not used to it. I was taking on this little Acura from a stoplight and got caught up in the moment and forgot to shift out of first gear :eek:. My car started to cut out but did not shut off. I didn't notice how high I got on the RPM's. Of Course when I felt the hesitation I let off the juice and realized what a dork I was. Ever done this?

Yeah when you hit the limiter it just bounces.

Barb.......Barb.........Barb :wink:

Gotta love the limiter :dgrin:

helrazor
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 13:43
Thanks that makes my feel better, I really could have farged something up, I can't believe I did that :crazy: .

Murphy
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 13:49
The gear tronic should change gear for you ?!?!? Not sure they can stay on the limiter for that long, but it sounds a better system than BMW's triptronic !

helrazor
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 13:52
The gear tronic should change gear for you ?!?!? Not sure they can stay on the limiter for that long, but it sounds a better system than BMW's triptronic !

Nope, you gotta' tap shifter forward to go into forward gears...I think it shifts down for you though....correct me if I'm wrong.

Murphy
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 14:05
Not too sure. The 850 has the basic auto box, not made really to change gear, but the geartronic sounds a million times better -

Is the US spec restricted on performance at all ??? I know a lot of European cars struggle to meet emmision regulations in the states and subsquently get restricted ?!?!

helrazor
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 14:12
Not too sure. The 850 has the basic auto box, not made really to change gear, but the geartronic sounds a million times better -
Is the US spec restricted on performance at all ??? I know a lot of European cars struggle to meet emmision regulations in the states and subsquently get restricted ?!?!

Its rated at 250 HP if that is what you mean. As far as the geartronic box. It's like having a manual gearbox with no clutch. Now that I have thought about it, you tap the shifter forward to shift forward and backward to go backward, only time it shifts for you is when you come to a complete stop, it will go into 1st for you. Pretty neet.

Bracer
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 14:28
Its rated at 250 HP if that is what you mean. As far as the geartronic box. It's like having a manual gearbox with no clutch. Now that I have thought about it, you tap the shifter forward to shift forward and backward to go backward, only time it shifts for you is when you come to a complete stop, it will go into 1st for you. Pretty neet.

Sounds cool and I dont think its doing anything wrong NOT changing up for you, it will only use your input for that :wink:

helrazor
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 14:36
Sounds cool and I dont think its doing anything wrong NOT changing up for you, it will only use your input for that :wink:

Yah it's kinda' like the 70's muscle cars, you could update the tranny with a kit that had the similar affect they were called Shift Kits.

Bracer
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 14:51
Yah it's kinda' like the 70's muscle cars, you could update the tranny with a kit that had the similar affect they were called Shift Kits.

LOL

:bow_kneel

855t5r
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 19:09
Ive driven a couple of Geartronic cars and its just Volvos name for tiptronic!

If its left in D it will work like an auto but if knocked to the left (on UK spec cars) its like a tiptronic!

I was under the impression though that if you forget to change using the lever it will change for you once on the limiter?

Maybe this is not the case with the Volvos Geartronic!

helrazor
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 22:07
Ive driven a couple of Geartronic cars and its just Volvos name for tiptronic!

If its left in D it will work like an auto but if knocked to the left (on UK spec cars) its like a tiptronic!

I was under the impression though that if you forget to change using the lever it will change for you once on the limiter?

Maybe this is not the case with the Volvos Geartronic!

Well as i said, the gearbox did not volenteer into second gear for me, it just hesitated at a certain point as Bracer said. Barb....barb......barb. That tells me there is a limiter. It for sure started to hesitate though. Had a full tank of gas. The only thing the geartronic does for you is go into 1st when you have stopped.

855t5r
Tuesday 30th November 2004, 23:08
I had a test drive the other day in a geartronic XC70 and wasnt too impressed, the 6 speed manual was streets ahead!

Bracer
Wednesday 1st December 2004, 09:30
I had a test drive the other day in a geartronic XC70 and wasnt too impressed, the 6 speed manual was streets ahead!

I'm pretty sure the 2 boxes are different because of the 4WD system in the XC90 :)

pikeajm
Wednesday 12th January 2005, 21:26
i know on the 940s the speed limmiter is on the rotor arm it may be the same on the t5 not sure though