PDA

View Full Version : idle control valve

MWT5
Sunday 26th September 2010, 20:10
might sound like a daft question but where do the hoses on the idle control valve go to?
I have a T5 engine on a pallet and a box of bits so im trying to sort things out and where they go.

p fandango
Sunday 26th September 2010, 20:16
it goes to the turbo pipe going to the throttle body, & the top of the vac tree

MWT5
Sunday 26th September 2010, 20:25
Thanks another problem solved.
the pipe going to the throttle body i dont have could i just t piece it into a fabricated one.would it have to be pieced in before the dump valve.

p fandango
Sunday 26th September 2010, 20:43
the pipe going to the throttle body i dont have could i just t piece it into a fabricated one.would it have to be pieced in before the dump valve.
yeh, i made my own RIP kit & used a fitting from a air compressor line welded into the pipe. It shouldn't matter where it goes in relation to the dump valve, when on idle the manifold pressure will be low so the dump valve closed, i'd try & get them both (dump valve & ICV) as close to the throttle body as possible

i'm cheating on BT & not using a ICV, i'm adjusting the throttle body to keep it open a small degree to let the air thru. The ECU won't be happy (ie it'll throw a CEL light), but that bad luck lol

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8597/41290540.jpg
bottom hose is my IC to throttle body with the T for the idle control

MWT5
Sunday 26th September 2010, 21:18
cheers m8
the tip for the compressor fitting is a great idea i'll get that pipe made up,another job to the list.
obviously with the engine going into a corsa room is some what limited does the intercooler size really make that much difference ive got a radiator and intercooler unit off a rover tomcat but the intercooler is smaller than the t5 ( but all alloy ) what i get in return is a big radiator for cooling the engine.
so if i did the RIP's this would give me better cooling than having the pipes the volvo way wouldnt it?

p fandango
Sunday 26th September 2010, 21:24
cheers m8
the tip for the compressor fitting is a great idea i'll get that pipe made up,another job to the list.
obviously with the engine going into a corsa room is some what limited does the intercooler size really make that much difference ive got a radiator and intercooler unit off a rover tomcat but the intercooler is smaller than the t5 ( but all alloy ) what i get in return is a big radiator for cooling the engine.
so if i did the RIP's this would give me better cooling than having the pipes the volvo way wouldnt it?
i'm one for keeping any pipes as short & as straight as possible, the reason Volvo ditched the RIP on the early T-5's was becuase of it freezing the throttle body, thats evidence enough to me that the airs colder

MWT5
Sunday 26th September 2010, 21:41
that another job for the list it gets longer and longer LOL.

p fandango
Sunday 26th September 2010, 21:43
that another job for the list it gets longer and longer LOL.
tell me about it, the closer you think you are to finishing the more jobs you find to do

MWT5
Sunday 26th September 2010, 22:05
tell me about it, the closer you think you are to finishing the more jobs you find to do

LOL.
When i start on the corsa shell i will get a project thread started just to give you guy's something different to read about all i ask in return is everone's indepth knowledge about the T5's engine,because it is becoming a knightmere. it was much easier owning my t5 (me7) and just driving it than trying to put one of these in another car for racing.
i did start the loom today the one that came with the car was shot they must of set fire to it when they removed it from the car it was melted all the way up to the gearbox.

p fandango
Sunday 26th September 2010, 22:14
LOL.
When i start on the corsa shell i will get a project thread started just to give you guy's something different to read about all i ask in return is everone's indepth knowledge about the T5's engine,because it is becoming a knightmere. it was much easier owning my t5 (me7) and just driving it than trying to put one of these in another car for racing.
i did start the loom today the one that came with the car was shot they must of set fire to it when they removed it from the car it was melted all the way up to the gearbox.
i always try to help out where i can. What racing you planning on doing in the C*rsa (sorry can't bring myself to say it lol)? Its not an ME7 your putting in is it?

MWT5
Sunday 26th September 2010, 22:34
i always try to help out where i can. What racing you planning on doing in the C*rsa (sorry can't bring myself to say it lol)? Its not an ME7 your putting in is it?

LOL i know what you mean use to spend most of my time making corsa and the saxo crowd look stupid when i had the V70.
No the engine i got was from a 94/95 manual ex plod thought this would be less hassle than a me7. the racing is off road dirt oval racing (autograss).
the corsa shell is because it is about the same weight as the volvos bonnet LOL oh and i already have it roll caged and spaceframed at the rear. just got to spaceframe the front to take the t5 engine sort out the suspension and everything else that goes with it.
The car weighs in at just under 700 kg with the vauxhall engine so with the t5 engine in will be a little bit heavier but still quite light.

p fandango
Sunday 26th September 2010, 22:43
i'm surprised your not putting it in the back. Would a Crocus 6-speed or an M56L not be worth putting in while your doing it

MWT5
Sunday 26th September 2010, 22:55
i'm surprised your not putting it in the back. Would a Crocus 6-speed or an M56L not be worth putting in while your doing it

if i put it rear engine rear wheel drive i would be in a different class racing against twin bike engined cars and spending hidious amount of money on suspension etc.i havent even thought of the gearbox yet lsd's are quite expensive so it my come down to a fully locked diff .
how do i find out what ratio's are in thegearbox without stripping it.

p fandango
Sunday 26th September 2010, 23:10
if i put it rear engine rear wheel drive i would be in a different class racing against twin bike engined cars and spending hidious amount of money on suspension etc.i havent even thought of the gearbox yet lsd's are quite expensive so it my come down to a fully locked diff .
ah i see. I've thought of a fully welded diff myself, but not sure what it would be like when on the road

how do i find out what ratio's are in thegearbox without stripping it.
by asking ;)

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7330/39718729.jpg
you've currently got the M56H

MWT5
Sunday 26th September 2010, 23:19
wow that saved me some time counting teeth on gears thanks m8:B_thumb:

streaky744
Monday 4th October 2010, 23:42
will watch your thread with interst when you start the build.

i race a v70 on short oval but not autograss. and had some good results in it so far. you can find thread on that in the v70 section (title short oval racer). found some great tyres for grip on loose tracks (mud) but you chaps can't use them which is a shame as i get very little wheel spin even with an open diff.

friend of mine is also putting a t5 lump into a space framed autograss car (new shaped mini) for his daughter to race next year.