PDA

View Full Version : hunting

slurpy
Friday 24th September 2010, 12:07
hi guys, i,m a new member to this site, so be gentle !! i have a s80 t6 twin turbo 272 hbp with only 50,000 miles on a 02 plate, i have only had it a couple of months and i dont think the previous owner, (used it properly !!) when i put the pedal to the floor, the car picks up ok but as it is doing so it is hunting / lurching, has any one got an idear why it is doing it and how i can get it sorted, i was thinking of getting it remaped up to 320 bhp would that cure the problem ?? thanks in advance for any help / info,

Flatout Phil
Friday 24th September 2010, 12:16
hi guys, i,m a new member to this site, so be gentle !! i have a s80 t6 twin turbo 272 hbp with only 50,000 miles on a 02 plate, i have only had it a couple of months and i dont think the previous owner, (used it properly !!) when i put the pedal to the floor, the car picks up ok but as it is doing so it is hunting / lurching, has any one got an idear why it is doing it and how i can get it sorted, i was thinking of getting it remaped up to 320 bhp would that cure the problem ?? thanks in advance for any help / info,

Hi Slurpy,
Nice to have you onboard. No, you won't get flak around here - not that sort of forum. Now I don't know much about your car at all - far too modern - but it would seem a very good idea to change plugs, air filter etc. See if that helps. If not, look at all the vacumn pipes and check there are no loose clips or holes causing a boost leak - or leaky manifold gaskets. I don't think you should remap until you have got the engine running fine in standard trim.
A friend bought a car very cheap with an awful intermittent power-loss. I looked at it, and found a handkerchief had been sucked up the air inlet to the filter box - every time it was floored, the suction caused it to block the pipe. Once removed, ran perfectly.
In other words, rule out the simple things.
Phil.

wegal
Friday 24th September 2010, 12:27
Hi slurpy and welcome to the forums, dont worry about asking daft questions I ask them all the time !

Dont remap the car until you have it running correctly as standard or you will just introduce a load more problems. Most tuners wont re-map it until its right anyway.

Possible causes...

spark plugs are one, dont use any of these daft plugs, either genuine volvo ones or nowt. Contact Rufe on the forum ( from the members list) and he will supply them at a very good price. Sometimes the plugs crack and cause problems.

TCV - maybe getting old and need replacing ( turbo control valve )

My money is on the ETM ( electronic throttle module ) probably needs a clean.

Before doing anything take it to either volvo or a good independant and get the fault codes read. That will tell you everything you need to know, and hopefully save you buying / fixing bits that you dont need to.

As a rule of thumb, if it starts playing up.. get the codes read first. These engines are hugely complex with all the electronics on them and sometimes its something totally unrealted that is causing the fault.

I still think its will be the ETM, but it could also be the MAF sensor. neither are difficult or expensive to sort out ( assuming they are not actually broken and they just need a good clean)

Anyway... codes first, usually cost about £20 to get em read.

slurpy
Friday 24th September 2010, 14:23
Hi Slurpy,
Nice to have you onboard. No, you won't get flak around here - not that sort of forum. Now I don't know much about your car at all - far too modern - but it would seem a very good idea to change plugs, air filter etc. See if that helps. If not, look at all the vacumn pipes and check there are no loose clips or holes causing a boost leak - or leaky manifold gaskets. I don't think you should remap until you have got the engine running fine in standard trim.
A friend bought a car very cheap with an awful intermittent power-loss. I looked at it, and found a handkerchief had been sucked up the air inlet to the filter box - every time it was floored, the suction caused it to block the pipe. Once removed, ran perfectly.
In other words, rule out the simple things.
Phil.

hi phill, thanks for the warm welcome, yes simple sounds good to me, the guy who had the car before didnt do many miles, shops and back !! and since i have had it i havent had it serviced yet, i have done the cam belt due the year sooner than the mileage (to be safe) i do 600 miles a week so it is now due for the 54,000 mile service, so i will get that done and see if that cures the problem, i thought it might be something more serious, maybe the guy lost his hankie too !! (l.o.l) i will check the vacuum pipes and clips ect myself, and as you say leave the remap till it runs ok first, p.s . i see you are in se london, allthough i live in essex i work in thamesmead se 18 (near to the bellmarsh prison !!) thank for your advice, and will let you know how it goes, slurpy

JelT5
Friday 24th September 2010, 14:41
Welcome to the forum.
Nice low mileage car you bought- sometimes I think that low mileage/ lack of use leads to problems- especially as some servicing seems to go by the board. I had quite a few probs with my T5R which came a pretty low mileage (96k) for a 15 year old car.
Make sure it's totally ok in standard form before modifying as Wegal says.

Post some pics up at some point so we can see your S80 :)

Flatout Phil
Friday 24th September 2010, 14:43
That is a bit of a commute! your not at the White Hart Centre are you? If you are at work it is saying M25 is jammed on the Essex section - 1.5 hours to cross Dartford Bridge etc. Could be a long haul tonight - presume anti-clock will be as bad.

Up in Eltham, so pretty close really. I think there is at least one other Colchester person on here.

slurpy
Friday 24th September 2010, 14:49
Hi slurpy and welcome to the forums, dont worry about asking daft questions I ask them all the time !

Dont remap the car until you have it running correctly as standard or you will just introduce a load more problems. Most tuners wont re-map it until its right anyway.

Possible causes...

spark plugs are one, dont use any of these daft plugs, either genuine volvo ones or nowt. Contact Rufe on the forum ( from the members list) and he will supply them at a very good price. Sometimes the plugs crack and cause problems.

TCV - maybe getting old and need replacing ( turbo control valve )

My money is on the ETM ( electronic throttle module ) probably needs a clean.

Before doing anything take it to either volvo or a good independant and get the fault codes read. That will tell you everything you need to know, and hopefully save you buying / fixing bits that you dont need to.

As a rule of thumb, if it starts playing up.. get the codes read first. These engines are hugely complex with all the electronics on them and sometimes its something totally unrealted that is causing the fault.

I still think its will be the ETM, but it could also be the MAF sensor. neither are difficult or expensive to sort out ( assuming they are not actually broken and they just need a good clean)

Anyway... codes first, usually cost about £20 to get em read.

hi wegal, thanks for the warm welcome, glad to see that i,m not the only one !! yes that sounds sensible, the car is due for the 54,000 mile service, so i will get that done(and the plugs) and see if that cures the problem, do you know where i can get a workshop manual for my s80 t6 , as i cant seem to get one for it, looked on ebay and on the haynes web site but they dont do the manual for my car ??? then i can go looking for the tcv emt and the maf, as i dont know where to find them ? once found i am quite good at d.i.y. so should be able to clean / replace myself, i allso know a diagnostic man,so i will get him down and see what he comes up with, many thanks for your advise and will let you know how it goes, slurpy

slurpy
Friday 24th September 2010, 14:58
Welcome to the forum.
Nice low mileage car you bought- sometimes I think that low mileage/ lack of use leads to problems- especially as some servicing seems to go by the board. I had quite a few probs with my T5R which came a pretty low mileage (96k) for a 15 year old car.

hi jelt5, at 600 miles a week i will soon get some miles on it, its due for the 54,000 service allready, (plus the plugs) so we see if that sorts it out ? make you right about the short journeys, but it came with full volvo service history, flew from stanstead up to edingburgh to collect the car so it had a good clear out on the way home !! yes the remap can wait, and i will get some pic,s done soon, slurpy

slurpy
Friday 24th September 2010, 15:19
That is a bit of a commute! your not at the White Hart Centre are you? If you are at work it is saying M25 is jammed on the Essex section - 1.5 hours to cross Dartford Bridge etc. Could be a long haul tonight - presume anti-clock will be as bad.

Up in Eltham, so pretty close really. I think there is at least one other Colchester person on here.

hi phill, no not the white heart center, in nathan way, (buy the plumstead bus garage) nothing new with the m25 i,m going anti clock, go up to erith and then come out on the last on slip before the tolls, i,m off now let you know how it was monday !! have a good one, slurpy

t5 stealth
Friday 24th September 2010, 18:37
welcome :)

rimmer100
Sunday 26th September 2010, 01:02
Hi and welcome, nice to have a nother t6 owner///

My t6 currently does the same thing as yours, but i am currently running at 323bhp, and mine does have a few more issues asside, i have used a generic code reader on mine and have narrowed mine down to a resister in the maf been at fault, ill double check which one and get back to you, unless somebody beats me to it

Mark

slurpy
Monday 27th September 2010, 12:06
welcome :)

hi stealth, thanks for the welcome, i get down to brighton now and then, as i know someone down there so might see you next time i am down there, dont think i would miss you car (looks nice !!) slurpy

slurpy
Monday 27th September 2010, 12:27

My t6 currently does the same thing as yours, but i am currently running at 323bhp, and mine does have a few more issues asside, i have used a generic code reader on mine and have narrowed mine down to a resister in the maf been at fault, ill double check which one and get back to you, unless somebody beats me to it

Markhi rimmer, thanks for the welcome, yes thats handy to have a fellow t6 owner, i sorry to hear you have the same problem,but at least we can compare results !! i would like to get mine maped up to that sort of bhp but as i have been advised its best to get it running properly first, if it is the resister in the maf, wot sort of job is it to do, and how much to buy ?? yes please let me know how you get on, p.s my brother lives in donnie, how far is that from you ?? let you know when i am up there and maybe meet for a beer and a look at our motors ? slurpy

t5 stealth
Monday 27th September 2010, 18:12
hi stealth, thanks for the welcome, i get down to brighton now and then, as i know someone down there so might see you next time i am down there, dont think i would miss you car (looks nice !!) slurpy

cheers..............and yeah i can always find it in a car park lol

ee8svt
Wednesday 6th October 2010, 22:53
Hi

I had the same problem too with my T6. What petrol do you use? i have found that if you use cheap supermarket type petrol eventually you get this hunting problem.

I started to use Shell V power and i no longer get the hunting problem, perhaps they are a little tempremental. I can remember a similar problem when i had a 3.0l Omega, cheap fuel caused the knock sensor's to go crazy but V power no problems.

Other than that i agree with the other comments, new plugs, vac lines etc.

slurpy
Thursday 7th October 2010, 15:14

Mark

hi rimmer, hows it going with the hunting problem ?? i spoke to a diagnostic guy the other day and he suggested to try some (catclean) first, so i went to the local auto spares shop, and got me self a bottle (£17) followed the instructions to the letter, and i have to admit the car does seem to be better with no hunting when i floor it, i have only floored it a couple of time since the treatment but at the moment all is ok, i am going to give it another treatment at the end of the month, and see what happens then ?? thought you might like to know, incase you havent tried it ?? slurpy

mightywolf
Thursday 7th October 2010, 16:23
Hi Slurpy welcome! Just wanted to let you know that I've never really looked into the S80 T6's before. Now I have after reading this thread I've decided I really like em! Might have to think about getting rid of my S70R! Word of warning though....once my missus finds out and ain't happy I'm telling her its all your fault lol :)

slurpy
Friday 8th October 2010, 13:13
Hi Slurpy welcome! Just wanted to let you know that I've never really looked into the S80 T6's before. Now I have after reading this thread I've decided I really like em! Might have to think about getting rid of my S70R! Word of warning though....once my missus finds out and ain't happy I'm telling her its all your fault lol :)

hi mightywolf, thanks for the welcome, well that sounds about right !! i allways get the blame for everything that goes wrong !! just aswell i have broad shoulders (l.o.l) if you are going to get one try to get one with all the toys, mine is the executive, and has the fridge, tv, dvd, rear electric blind, and sat nav, ect, ect, and 272 bhp as standard, on a 2002 plate, all that for just £2,500, trouble was i had to fly from stanstead, to edinburgh to get it, however, it got a good run home !! if i have sorted the hunting problem, and it is all running well then i might getit remaped up to 320 bhp, depending how much is involved and the cost ?? anyway i wont keep waffling on, let me know if you get one, and if your mrs is on the way down to sort me out !!!! (l.o.l) slurpy,

mightywolf
Friday 8th October 2010, 16:48
i was really surprised at how cheap they were. Doesn't seem to be many about though so think it would be a case of hunting till the right one came up. and with all those toys i could live in it! :)

slurpy
Monday 11th October 2010, 08:38
i was really surprised at how cheap they were. Doesn't seem to be many about though so think it would be a case of hunting till the right one came up. and with all those toys i could live in it! :)
hi ya, just as well you would want to live in it, as your mrs will probably make you when you buy one (l.o.l) i was lucky as it only had 43,000 on the clock with full v.s.h. thats why i went to scotland to get it, the bumpers needed painting and the interior was a bit tatty as he used to use it like a van to collect his goods from his local cash and carry for his hotel !! got all that sorted and its looks good now, will have to get some pics on here !! happy hunting,

slurpy
Monday 11th October 2010, 09:26
Hi

I had the same problem too with my T6. What petrol do you use? i have found that if you use cheap supermarket type petrol eventually you get this hunting problem.

I started to use Shell V power and i no longer get the hunting problem, perhaps they are a little tempremental. I can remember a similar problem when i had a 3.0l Omega, cheap fuel caused the knock sensor's to go crazy but V power no problems.

hi mate, sorry i over looked your thread, i,m afraid i use sainsburys fuel as the Mrs collects the nectar points !! that cat cleaner i used has made a difference however i will try the v power petrol and see if that allso makes a difference, i have the car booked in for a service, and will do the plugs, oil, and all the filters, get the vac pipes checked ect, i have done the cam belt, so i will then know everything has been done, and hopefully it should run ok, then i can look at remaping it up to 320 bhp (ish) slurpy

t5 stealth
Monday 11th October 2010, 18:32
throttle body.........or a software update from volvo

slurpy
Wednesday 20th October 2010, 13:29
Welcome to the forum.

hi jel, its a bit late, but i have put some pic,s on if you want to have a look, the car,s going in for a big service next week, (plugs filters ect,ect,) so we will see how it runs after that, i stopped using sainsburys cheap petrol, and that made a big difference as ee8svt said earlier, will let you know after its been done !!

slurpy
Wednesday 20th October 2010, 13:40

hi phill, thought i would let you know i have put some pic,s of my car on if you are interested, still doing that poxy commute, so you will be able to recognize the car in one of the many jams that occur if they are show on tv !!!!(l.ol.) getting it serviced next week so we will see how it is after that ?? will let you know

slurpy
Wednesday 20th October 2010, 13:46

Mark

hi rimmer, hows your running fault going ?? was it the resister ??? i changed the petrol i was using which has made a big difference, and its going in for a big service next week so we will see how mine runs after that ?? i have put some pic,s of my t6 on here if you are intrested

slurpy
Wednesday 20th October 2010, 13:58
Hi

hi ee8,i have posted some pic,s of my motor if you are interested, my car runs a lot better with the shell petrol, and it is booked in for a big service next week so with new plugs filters ect,ect it should be jubilee !! will let you know,,

slurpy
Wednesday 20th October 2010, 14:02

hi mightywolf, just thought you would like to see some pic,s of my S80 T6 in all its glory !! have you got one yet ??