PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding brakes

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 19th September 2010, 17:02
Just taken my Porsche brake set up off the c70 and put the standard set up back on but the bleed nipples are really tight and i don't wont to force them in case they snap off. Any ideas what I can do as obviously at the moment the pedal is going straight to the floor lol.

Thanks Mike.

claymore
Sunday 19th September 2010, 17:07
You can get a pretty good bleed by cracking the flexy pipe open at the caliper

streaky744
Monday 20th September 2010, 20:58
to get it to bleed so all air comes out if nipple is tight or snapped off just make sure the flexi is at the highest point before you mount caliper and bleed from flexi (insert something to stop caliper piston from pumping out to far) then bleed as you would by pumping pedal locking flexi back up before pedal is lifted each time.

or invest in an easy bleed, attach as per instructions and carry out as above as all air will be forced out under pressure from easy bleed. flexi still needs to be at highest point so can't be done with caliper mounted as some air will still stay in caliper

or plan C. soak bleed nipple in penertrating oil for 24hrs and use even pressure to move a little to undo, then do it up again, (a socket is better for even grip on nipple rather than a spanner) working a little more each way as you repeat process until finally it comes out (hopefully) does not always work though.

i have in past also warmed caliper around bleed nipple with a small blow torch (with all rubber removed from near it) and this has helped crack it and undo

good luck with it.

5seaterT5x2
Monday 20th September 2010, 21:14
soak it in PLUS GAS over night, tis better than wd by a long way, then get best quality probaly socket dont use m mouse spanners as will likely slip and round of nipple

Flatout Phil
Monday 20th September 2010, 22:12
A sheared off nipple is, to say the least, a painful experience. Aside from the above, and Plusgas can't be beat but it needs a couple of days to get going and very gentle to-ing and fro-ing, get a REALLY good ring spanner (obvious I know). If the thing shears off, it is sometimes possible to use a reverse tap to remove the offending stub - that was one I used to do on the Imp years ago. That or drilling down the nipple tube with a slightly larger drill - the heat and vibration (especially if you revese the drill) should ease the bugger out. Other than that a trip to Salvo may be in order.

If using heat, remember that brake fluid is unnervingly flammable!