PDA

View Full Version : Performance figures

jardon
Friday 17th September 2010, 23:31
Evening all,

haven't posted anything for a while and I often see members discussing which turbo, map etc so here are some on-road results for you. Never had it dyno'd but it boosts to 22psi and "likes" aquamist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSVr1aZ4Ijk

80-100's (4th gear): First run slightly uphill, 2nd run flat. (I get 8.1 secs and 7.5 secs)

60-100's (3rd gear): Runs 1 and 3 flat (I get 5.4 and 5.5 secs), run 2 SLIGHT uphill (I get 5.7 secs), runs 4, 5 and 6 SLIGHT downhill (I get 5.1, 5.2 and 5.1 secs).

12C ambient and dry. 2/3 tank of fuel. Nothing stripped and empty boot.

Turkish
Saturday 18th September 2010, 00:28
Excellent figures, very very impressive.

Is your V70 an Auto? What is different about your 19T hybrid. Great setup you have.

jardon
Saturday 18th September 2010, 00:44
Manual and ported/polished housings, both wheels replaced with Garrett items then the turbine clipped, new seals etc. The wheels are same size as originals according to Owens. Effectively a new turbo and I was lucky to buy it off Ashok before it got near the T4 again.

t5_monkey
Saturday 18th September 2010, 00:51
Bloody hell that's quick! you have an absolute monster on your hands - you should post up a detailed thread about the magic you've worked on your car sometime.

You can't be far off 400bhp with that performance, maybe even a touch more.

Your car is virtually as quick as a Gallardo, and Noble - very impressive.

60-100 times:

TVR T350T 5.1s
Porsche 911 997 GT3 5.1s
Aston Martin V8 Vantage 5.1s
Maybach 57S 5.1s
Audi RS6 5.1s
BMW M5 E60 5.1s
Lamborghini Gallardo 5.1s
MG XPower SV-R 5.1s
Radical SR3 5.1s
Noble M12 GTO-3R 5.1s
BMW M6 Convertible 5.1s
TVR Cerbera 4.2 5.1s
Alfa Romeo 8C Competitizione 5.1s

jardon
Saturday 18th September 2010, 08:16
Morning mate, the 5.1 second times are slightly downhill. The flat times are 5.5 ish and that compares well with my long term average - in winter it will do 5.2 seconds and 'hot' days 5.7. Also, my times are 3rd gear only while sites like torquestats list 'through the gears' times - with a change from 2nd to 3rd in their 60-100's. I get 6.4 seconds for that which is still pretty good. The build is in my signature and the engine work was done by Tim Williams - it's a stock 100k block, head and rods but I'd like Tim to port the head one day. Custom mapped by Marco from MTE.

http://www.torquestats.com/index.php?pid=mph60_100

Note there are no FWD cars as quick!

Turkish
Saturday 18th September 2010, 12:21
My old V70 MTE T5 used to do 60-100 in 5.9 seconds along the mad mile. This was just using 3rd only. In gear flexability was awesome. 2nd through 3rd 60-100 it was slower, as tested by IRF and I in his old 850, his 850 was quicker.

t5_monkey
Saturday 18th September 2010, 12:35
Morning mate, the 5.1 second times are slightly downhill. The flat times are 5.5 ish and that compares well with my long term average - in winter it will do 5.2 seconds and 'hot' days 5.7. Also, my times are 3rd gear only while sites like torquestats list 'through the gears' times - with a change from 2nd to 3rd in their 60-100's. I get 6.4 seconds for that which is still pretty good. The build is in my sig and the engine mods work were done by Tim Williams.

It's still a monster :) cool car - well done.

Shame mine would go pop running that kind of boost!

JelT5
Saturday 18th September 2010, 13:00
Rapid car Jardon. Nice one :)

RT MECHANICS
Saturday 30th October 2010, 21:35
Only just spotted this thread would it worth us all putting our cars spec and times on a list ??

T5frankie
Saturday 30th October 2010, 21:43
Only just spotted this thread would it worth us all putting our cars spec and times on a list ??

start one then

RT MECHANICS
Sunday 31st October 2010, 18:38
start one then

Sounds like a good idea the problem with me starting it is i have not timed my cars as such..

How about

30-70
60-100 (on a private circuit)

???

Rnash2002
Sunday 31st October 2010, 19:59
60 to 100 = 6.6

woz
Monday 1st November 2010, 23:54
60-80 = 3.6 sec in 3rd
70-90 = 4.0 4.5 5.7 in 3rd 4th and 5th
(speedo reading and stop watch only, two up plus tool kit plus dog and usual dayout stuff.
Made a boring trip on the m4 fun doing three tests of each - better than "I spy" anyway.

I am not doing the 80 - 100 bit again on a public road but seem to remember about 6 secs when I was younger?? No where near Jardons tho :>O

RT MECHANICS
Saturday 6th November 2010, 20:03
The next dry trip out in the yellow saloon i will see how it goes :)

jardon
Thursday 27th October 2011, 23:22
Quick update - ignore all previous 60-100 vids as my speedo is a liar. 60-100 GPS is 67-109 on my speedo - hence my car appearing to look like a 400hp monster if you believe the dash. Just datalogged 100-100kmh a few times (softloader logs canbus data and is spot on with my GPS) and got 12.4 secs average - this is 70-135 on my speedo! I upchanged at 6000 rpm and the "through gears" GPS 60-100 mph is 6.3 secs which I am pleased with. I still can't get below 5.6 secs GPS with a 3rd gear only pull. 12.4 secs is same as an E46 M3 which I guess is pretty quick. IAT's <20C and boost peaking at 1.35 bar.

Anybody else got a 100-200kmh to share?

Not that I'm competitive or anything but I suggest "calibrating" your speedos with GPS (mobile phone, etc) for meaningful comparison as mine takes the piss

mitchyboy01
Friday 28th October 2011, 00:01
Morning mate, the 5.1 second times are slightly downhill. The flat times are 5.5 ish and that compares well with my long term average - in winter it will do 5.2 seconds and 'hot' days 5.7. Also, my times are 3rd gear only while sites like torquestats list 'through the gears' times - with a change from 2nd to 3rd in their 60-100's. I get 6.4 seconds for that which is still pretty good. The build is in my signature and the engine work was done by Tim Williams - it's a stock 100k block, head and rods but I'd like Tim to port the head one day. Custom mapped by Marco from MTE.

Hi mate,

How can I get Marco to map my T4 when it's done? I want 350+bhp and speaking to Ashock he reckons Marco is the man for the job? Thanks.

t5_monkey
Friday 28th October 2011, 00:01
GPS calibration deffo makes a difference....

Mines 2-3 mph out @ 70

Jardon.. yours is still a monster!! My 60-100 was 7.6 last time i checked.

Jim S70R
Friday 28th October 2011, 00:18
Jardons car having had a run in it around castle coomb race track is very much the monster the spec makes out, keep up the great work your car is a monster.

jardon
Friday 28th October 2011, 00:19
Hi mate,

How can I get Marco to map my T4 when it's done? I want 350+bhp and speaking to Ashock he reckons Marco is the man for the job? Thanks.

You are limited in your choice of custom tuning for the Siemens ECU's and I'm not aware of anybody other than Marco who has the necessary equipment or knowledge. Having said that you could have a chat with Mo on T5D5 too as he has a quick T4 running a K24 and MTE stage 2 tune (I think). How do you get Marco to do it? - call Don Norchi at Kalmar Union and discuss what you want doing. Ashok has a lot of experience with his T4 running various stock turbos and Garretts so he will be well placed to provide advice.

afzalmj
Friday 28th October 2011, 00:41
60 to 100 = 6.6

5.2 :shhh:

mitchyboy01
Friday 28th October 2011, 01:15
You are limited in your choice of custom tuning for the Siemens ECU's and I'm not aware of anybody other than Marco who has the necessary equipment or knowledge. Having said that you could have a chat with Mo on T5D5 too as he has a quick T4 running a K24 and MTE stage 2 tune (I think). How do you get Marco to do it? - call Don Norchi at Kalmar Union and discuss what you want doing. Ashok has a lot of experience with his T4 running various stock turbos and Garretts so he will be well placed to provide advice.

Spot on. Thanks mate. I've got in my garage Holset turbo, custom alloy intercooler from Ashok, forged engine and more supporting mods on their way. Just trying to do as much research as possible before I get it all fitted. My main worry is the mapping! hopefully I will have some times up here in the not too distant future lol. Cheers, Mitch.

jardon
Friday 28th October 2011, 01:47
You will get the best out of Marco by ensuring the car is 100% before tuning and knowing exactly what you want out of it. This may sound obvious but as he is seldom in the UK you need to leave nothing to chance. Take spare plugs/bcs etc and talk to other T4 owners to get a handle on what boost/fueling/ignition to expect. Sit with him while mapping and ask questions..'can we have more advance here?' etc rather than handing him the keys and saying get on with it. It is one thing for a tuner to make the car quicker than stock but I've learned nagging helps if you want it pushed to the (safe) limits of your hardware. Consider part throttle performance too - again easy to overlook driveability when tuning WOT.

T5frankie
Friday 28th October 2011, 11:10
Quick update - ignore all previous 60-100 vids as my speedo is a liar. 60-100 GPS is 67-109 on my speedo - hence my car appearing to look like a 400hp monster if you believe the dash. Just datalogged 100-100kmh a few times (softloader logs canbus data and is spot on with my GPS) and got 12.4 secs average - this is 70-135 on my speedo! I upchanged at 6000 rpm and the "through gears" GPS 60-100 mph is 6.3 secs which I am pleased with. I still can't get below 5.6 secs GPS with a 3rd gear only pull. 12.4 secs is same as an E46 M3 which I guess is pretty quick. IAT's <20C and boost peaking at 1.35 bar.

Anybody else got a 100-200kmh to share?

Not that I'm competitive or anything but I suggest "calibrating" your speedos with GPS (mobile phone, etc) for meaningful comparison as mine takes the piss

Sounds like you need some fatter tyres on to get the speedo reading right, mine was the same until I put 19's on now it reads spot on, my rover also underreads by 7 mph at 100 when its only doing 93 so I have just changed the tyres

t5_monkey
Friday 28th October 2011, 11:34
What Frankie said.

Sure you're running the right profile?

If you put fatter tyres on you'll get a better ride and more traction too :)

After all... if lower profile were better why are forumula 1 tyres so fat!

p fandango
Friday 28th October 2011, 11:55
the speedo on Bonny (also a P2) is miles out as well, think it reads about 8mph under throughout the range

t5_monkey
Friday 28th October 2011, 12:15
That's pretty optimistic.

Still Jardons car is faster than a council worker punching out for the weekend.

jardon
Friday 28th October 2011, 13:53
I'm running 225/45 17". I don't fancy the idea of 18" or 19" wheels for cosmetic reasons - I like the standard look of 17s. The tyres certainly fill the arches and the wheel with - in fact that size R888 was significantly wider than a 7.5" wheel. I could try a larger tyre though - perhaps a 225/50 or 235/45?

The speedo inaccuracy is not a major issue - it's healthier for my license if I going slower than I think I am. Just quite shocking how far out phase 2 speedos are.

t5_monkey
Friday 28th October 2011, 15:27
your speedo does seem a long way out - can you get them calibrated at all ?

235/45 might be the way to go - more traction too

LiamT4
Friday 28th October 2011, 17:21
What Frankie said.

Sure you're running the right profile?

If you put fatter tyres on you'll get a better ride and more traction too :)

After all... if lower profile were better why are forumula 1 tyres so fat!

Regulations are that the wheel must be 13" diameter and they are not that high a profile, between 45 and 55, they just look it because they are on 13s.

jardon
Friday 28th October 2011, 18:54
your speedo does seem a long way out - can you get them calibrated at all ?

235/45 might be the way to go - more traction too

Just been doing some maths and I would need 295/45s to correct a 10% error! 235s would make a 1.4% difference. I may still give 235s a go for better traction though.

Some speedos can be "calibrated" by changing the ECU tyre size with VCT - not an option with mine though.

Al115
Friday 28th October 2011, 18:57

RICA in NL will also custom-map it for you, but there aren't many people who can, as the man says.

Jardon your car is very nice :)

jardon
Friday 28th October 2011, 19:11
Thanks Al,

it is pretty nippy for a 1750kg lump and a stock turbo. More go up top would be nice - I'd like to have a 10sec 100-200kph (just to keep pace with Mo's T4) but I think I'd need a Garrett 2871 or bigger. I don't think a K24 would be enough to haul the bulk much quicker than my 19t. The extra cost of mapping for and fitting a Garrett is too much for me right now. I also fear losing driveability if I keep chasing WOT performance.

mitchyboy01
Friday 28th October 2011, 20:30
You will get the best out of Marco by ensuring the car is 100% before tuning and knowing exactly what you want out of it. This may sound obvious but as he is seldom in the UK you need to leave nothing to chance. Take spare plugs/bcs etc and talk to other T4 owners to get a handle on what boost/fueling/ignition to expect. Sit with him while mapping and ask questions..'can we have more advance here?' etc rather than handing him the keys and saying get on with it. It is one thing for a tuner to make the car quicker than stock but I've learned nagging helps if you want it pushed to the (safe) limits of your hardware. Consider part throttle performance too - again easy to overlook driveability when tuning WOT.

Thanks for the advice mate. I'd be gutted if I missed the opportunity because of a failed bcs or something simple like that. I just still can't believe that with Volvo tuning getting bigger and bigger, we still have only 1 man who can properly tune our cars and he is from abroad?? WTF. Surely there is somewhere over here that will map my T4 beyond the 300bhp mark on a dyno? Any other car you can take pretty much anywhere for a custom map. If I make changes to my spec I will have to wait for Marco to be available again? Looks like anyone who wants a tuning solution for the Siemens ECU will be forced to go standalone when the standard ECU is obviously more than capable?

Thanks, Mitch.

T5frankie
Friday 28th October 2011, 20:47
Thanks for the advice mate. I'd be gutted if I missed the opportunity because of a failed bcs or something simple like that. I just still can't believe that with Volvo tuning getting bigger and bigger, we still have only 1 man who can properly tune our cars and he is from abroad?? WTF. Surely there is somewhere over here that will map my T4 beyond the 300bhp mark on a dyno? Any other car you can take pretty much anywhere for a custom map. If I make changes to my spec I will have to wait for Marco to be available again? Looks like anyone who wants a tuning solution for the Siemens ECU will be forced to go standalone when the standard ECU is obviously more than capable?

Thanks, Mitch.

if we double book him all good?

WOODY T5
Friday 28th October 2011, 20:51
can vouch for marco my self as i have got one of is mte ecu`s in my car never ad any probs.runs like a dream.good bhp two;-)

Jamest5r
Friday 28th October 2011, 20:53
Mitch your in Dover just hop over to Holland and Rica's HQ and have your car mapped there, i think it only cost Al about £300 to have it done, there is a thread about it somewhere was seriously considering it myself(if i ever get my car running lol)

T5frankie
Friday 28th October 2011, 20:54
Mitch your in Dover just hop over to Holland and Rica's HQ and have your car mapped there, i think it only cost Al about £300 to have it done, there is a thread about it somewhere was seriously considering it myself(if i ever get my car running lol)

where in holland is it james?

Jamest5r
Friday 28th October 2011, 20:56
££££ know's but give me a map and ill find it :)

T5frankie
Friday 28th October 2011, 20:58
££££ know's but give me a map and ill find it :)

be a first lol

jardon
Friday 28th October 2011, 20:59

Thanks, Mitch.

I once rang DMS Automotive for a quote and a chat - they said they were happy with tuning my ME7 T5 at £600 per half day on a dyno. They have a good reputation and may be worth a call for the T4.

Pros - UK based/good name/dyno mapping.

Cons - Limited tuning experience with Volvos/dyno mapping.

I didn't go along as there were plenty of MTE custom mapped cars with happy owners and the limited Volvo experience of DMS put me off. However, while I am happy with the end result my MTE experience hasn't been without frustration due to the remote nature of Marcos business. If we accept that an engine just needs air, spark and fuel then DMS might be higher up my list if I was starting again. Could be irrelevant if the Siemens ECU is beyond them. Stand alone is not what I would do - no knock control etc.

http://www.dmsautomotive.com/

Al115
Friday 28th October 2011, 21:24
My T4 mapping thread...
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26197

mitchyboy01
Friday 28th October 2011, 21:30
Thanks again guys, sorry it's gone a bit off topic but good mapping means I can post a better time lol

Are RICA any good though? I know Ashok doesn't use them at all. Al when you had your car done I remember you saying it came back with 275bhp. Nothing really earth shattering there for the great spec your car had. Was that down to RICA or you actually asking them to keep it to that power level?

Thanks.

LiamT4
Friday 28th October 2011, 21:34
Thanks again guys, sorry it's gone a bit off topic but good mapping means I can post a better time lol

Are RICA any good though? I know Ashok doesn't use them at all. Al when you had your car done I remember you saying it came back with 275bhp. Nothing really earth shattering there for the great spec your car had. Was that down to RICA or you actually asking them to keep it to that power level?

Thanks.

Remember that he was only using a 16t.

mitchyboy01
Friday 28th October 2011, 21:53
Couldn't Al have got someone to do it here as 16t is a fairly standard upgrade isn't it?

LiamT4
Friday 28th October 2011, 22:00
Couldn't Al have got someone to do it here as 16t is a fairly standard upgrade isn't it?

Think it was more the other mods really and as you know the ecu's aren't the easiest to map. The mapping itself was reletively cheap by the sounds of it so even with the cost of travel it wasn't very expensive.

jardon
Friday 28th October 2011, 22:34
Dynos being dynos that 275bhp could be + or - 20bhp so difficult to say if RICA did a good job or not (which is why I'm constantly barking on about accurate on-road datalogging as you can't argue with it for comparison with your peers). Knowing what I do from my experience of several mappers I would say that RICA, like BSR are not the experts their (very good) marketing would have us believe. I don't think they have the skills or knowledge to adjust all the necessary parameters for a truly optimal tune - maybe ok-ish with the earlier motronic cars but for ME7 onwards they are still catching up. I would say Marco has as much knowledge and skill (and perhaps importantly the Volvo ecu tools) with Siemens ECUs as anybody out there but they are still difficult to work with. Janne Ellwoth (WothRLine) is an Ex-Volvo programmer and even he avoids them. For the hassle involved in driving to NL I would embrace the wait for Marco to map it and sit tight. It took him 2 visits to modify his standard ME7 19t map to get where I am now and that was over an 18 month period (as the mods developed). If there was a UK based equally skilled alternative I would have taken it but I don't see that there was or is. I strongly advise you to consider road/track mapping rather than dyno - or at least a tuner who will fine tune on the road after getting a ball park map on the dyno.

jardon
Friday 28th October 2011, 22:54
I'd be all over Mo like a rash as he is logging sub 5 sec 60-100 and 10 sec 62-124. That's custom MTE and K24 with supporting mods. Nice.

mitchyboy01
Friday 28th October 2011, 23:58
Dynos being dynos that 275bhp could be + or - 20bhp so difficult to say if RICA did a good job or not (which is why I'm constantly barking on about accurate on-road datalogging as you can't argue with it for comparison with your peers). Knowing what I do from my experience of several mappers I would say that RICA, like BSR are not the experts their (very good) marketing would have us believe. I don't think they have the skills or knowledge to adjust all the necessary parameters for a truly optimal tune - maybe ok-ish with the earlier motronic cars but for ME7 onwards they are still catching up. I would say Marco has as much knowledge and skill (and perhaps importantly the Volvo ecu tools) with Siemens ECUs as anybody out there but they are still difficult to work with. Janne Ellwoth (WothRLine) is an Ex-Volvo programmer and even he avoids them. For the hassle involved in driving to NL I would embrace the wait for Marco to map it and sit tight. It took him 2 visits to modify his standard ME7 19t map to get where I am now and that was over an 18 month period (as the mods developed). If there was a UK based equally skilled alternative I would have taken it but I don't see that there was or is. I strongly advise you to consider road/track mapping rather than dyno - or at least a tuner who will fine tune on the road after getting a ball park map on the dyno.

I was going to just say that the general consensus from people ''in the know'' about RICA is that they aren't actually that good, Ive even heard the word bargepole used a few times. I was just being tactful lol

I'm having my mods fitted hopefully by the end of the year. I have got all these bits apart from the custom exhaust system obviously, which include forged engine, Holset HE221W turbo, Siemens Deka 630cc, custom alloy drop in intercooler, modified ME7 manifold, 850R clutch, SMF, full 3inch system. Once I've fitted these mods what is my first step regarding mapping? I will need to drive the car but obviously don't want it to go bang. Will I have to drive with no boost and wait months for Marco?

Thanks again guys.

mitchyboy01
Saturday 29th October 2011, 00:05
My T4 mapping thread...
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26197

Thanks Al, can't wait to get the engine in my car!!

Al115
Saturday 29th October 2011, 08:06

Thanks.

Exactly as Liam says - the 16T (on a smaller engine than the T5, remember) was the limiting factor. I knew that when I opted for it - I'd actually bought a brand-new GT3076R prior to that, and sold it on, having heard of others' experiences with the same turbo on a T4 ("irritating" to drive on the road - fine on the track of course). That was why I went for a smaller turbo, a smaller headline power figure, and a more driveable car overall. If you care about the numbers then fit a whacking great turbo and you'll see 400.

RICA has a mixed reputation as you say - I was reasonably impressed when I was at their head office and meeting the team, though, which I think few others have done. As I said on the other thread, I've had four tuners map my cars (BSR, MTE, RICA, SWAutos). I worked with Marco in 2004 (from memory), and if you can put up with him making only very occasional visits to the UK, as Jardon says, then I'd go that route again.

Ashok has great experience with these cars, he was mapping his T4 with Marco on the same day I was having my V70 T5 done! And a nice guy to boot.

Al115
Saturday 29th October 2011, 08:13
I was going to just say that the general consensus from people ''in the know'' about RICA is that they aren't actually that good, Ive even heard the word bargepole used a few times. I was just being tactful lol

So, I'd respectfully question how many of those slinging mud are /actually/ "in the know". Some certainly are, but there's a lot of bandwagon-hopping too (or in other words, the signal-to-noise ratio on this topic is certainly less than 1!)

I'm having my mods fitted hopefully by the end of the year. I have got all these bits apart from the custom exhaust system obviously, which include forged engine, Holset HE221W turbo, Siemens Deka 630cc, custom alloy drop in intercooler, modified ME7 manifold, 850R clutch, SMF, full 3inch system.

That will be awesome. Don't forget proper suspension, a limited-slip diff, and sticky tyres - all of which you need if you are tuning a T4 to the limits.

Once I've fitted these mods what is my first step regarding mapping? I will need to drive the car but obviously don't want it to go bang. Will I have to drive with no boost and wait months for Marco?

I doubt you can just bolt all that up and expect the standard map to compensate - even if it works (after a fashion) it won't be very good on the road. If it was me, I'd make a plan whereby you do all the basic hardware (engine, exhaust, suspension, etc) first, but leave the things that make the big differences as far as the ECU is concerned (turbo, wastegate, EBC, injectors, etc) until the week (or preferably, the day) of the tuning. Your tuner will certainly guide you on that if you ask them for advice.

GOOD LUCK! :)

Al115
Saturday 29th October 2011, 08:15

I didn't find anyone in the UK that I trusted - those ECUs are quite rare and not many can work with them, as said before.

If I did it again I would certainly go standalone - something like an EMERALD. Or whatever they use on Evo IIIs might be worth looking at. More hassle in the short term, more flexibility in the long term.

And again as said, don't forget that partial-throttle mapping is also critical if you don't want to be pissed off with your car in five minutes flat. My trackday Saxo goes like a bullet with my foot on the floor, but it also does 15mpg and is just horrible to drive in the midrange... ie getting to and from the track. So I need to get that sorted out :)

turbo-tuner
Saturday 29th October 2011, 08:18

I'm having my mods fitted hopefully by the end of the year. I have got all these bits apart from the custom exhaust system obviously, which include forged engine, Holset HE221W turbo, Siemens Deka 630cc, custom alloy drop in intercooler, modified ME7 manifold, 850R clutch, SMF, full 3inch system. Once I've fitted these mods what is my first step regarding mapping? I will need to drive the car but obviously don't want it to go bang. Will I have to drive with no boost and wait months for Marco?

Thanks again guys.

RICA don't do any custom mapping in the UK. They will only do "custom" stages for hardware mods that they have tested for. For example, they will do a Stage 3 (turbo upgrade etc) on an S40 T5, but they won't do anything custom like yours unless you drive to Holland.

Should make the decision easy for you!

Knowing what I do from my experience of several mappers I would say that RICA, like BSR are not the experts their (very good) marketing would have us believe. I don't think they have the skills or knowledge to adjust all the necessary parameters for a truly optimal tune - maybe ok-ish with the earlier motronic cars but for ME7 onwards they are still catching up.

I would say that RICA are far ahead of MTE, especially in performance diesel tuning. ME7 is now very old technology, whereas RICA mainly focus on developing new stuff, such as the 2012 models.

mitchyboy01
Saturday 29th October 2011, 14:50
So, I'd respectfully question how many of those slinging mud are /actually/ "in the know". Some certainly are, but there's a lot of bandwagon-hopping too (or in other words, the signal-to-noise ratio on this topic is certainly less than 1!)

That will be awesome. Don't forget proper suspension, a limited-slip diff, and sticky tyres - all of which you need if you are tuning a T4 to the limits.

I doubt you can just bolt all that up and expect the standard map to compensate - even if it works (after a fashion) it won't be very good on the road. If it was me, I'd make a plan whereby you do all the basic hardware (engine, exhaust, suspension, etc) first, but leave the things that make the big differences as far as the ECU is concerned (turbo, wastegate, EBC, injectors, etc) until the week (or preferably, the day) of the tuning. Your tuner will certainly guide you on that if you ask them for advice.

GOOD LUCK! :)

Thanks for the advice Al. Sounds like a plan! I need to get the engine in the car as my first priority and leave the big mods until nearer the mapping stage.. That is another story as I may sell my V40 and get a phase 2 V40. I like the front end on the P2's more than the phase 1's!!!

One thing I was going to ask you is why did RICA have you fit 750cc injectors? Surely that's mega overkill, not that I really know a lot about injector duty cycles etc but just from other peoples specs and power.

Cheers, Mitch.

Al115
Saturday 29th October 2011, 18:36
One thing I was going to ask you is why did RICA have you fit 750cc injectors? Surely that's mega overkill, not that I really know a lot about injector duty cycles etc but just from other peoples specs and power

They didn't, but we did need bigger injectors than stock and I happened to have the 750s around from a previous project. They weren't maxed by a long way.