PDA

View Full Version : Jetex, or Longlife????

lozccw
Wednesday 15th September 2010, 23:32
I need a new exhaust for the '40. so I have decided that while its being changed, why not go for a full stainless cat back system.

The problem is that I can't decide where to get it from?, the choices are:

1- Off the shelf Jetex exhaust (fit it myself), (http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/jetex_exhausts_chooser.php?mak=Volvo&mod=V40+non-Turbo&mat=Stainless+Steel) Twin 80mm round tailpipes, boxes designed to be identical fit to OEM etc.

2- Custom made longlife exhaust (fitted), Twin 80mm round tailpipes (a few design choices available), manufactured using "universal" boxes.

I know the end result will be pretty much identical from the outside of the car,and the price is the same.
The reason for my dilemma is a combination of how fussy I am about my car and the work done on it, and the fact that I need the fit to be "perfect" (due to the fact that the car is lowered about 100-110mm!!)

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!!

The-Les
Thursday 16th September 2010, 00:04
I'm awaiting a full jetex system (cat back + sports cat) so will let you know what it's like when I get it on.

JelT5
Thursday 16th September 2010, 04:48
alternatively you could try these guys:

http://www.jt-tuning.se/shop/default.aspx?lng=ENG&cur=EUR

T4FLY
Friday 17th September 2010, 02:22
As above. Just fitted a 3" turbo back system to my V40. Best option for me in terms of value for money and the quality is good.

lozccw
Thursday 23rd September 2010, 21:13
Ok, I have taken the plunge and booked my v40 in with longlife in canterbury.
I'm having a 'cat back' system with twin tailpipes fitted on monday, so I'll post some pictures and info for anyone interested once it's fitted.

Thanks to everyone who voted and offered me advice, It is greatly appreciated!

t5_monkey
Thursday 23rd September 2010, 21:46
Ok, I have taken the plunge and booked my v40 in with longlife in canterbury.
I'm having a 'cat back' system with twin tailpipes fitted on monday, so I'll post some pictures and info for anyone interested once it's fitted.

Thanks to everyone who voted and offered me advice, It is greatly appreciated!

don't be soft you don't need a muffler box :)

The-Les
Thursday 23rd September 2010, 21:56
Canterbury is just down the road from me! where you getting it done? the last time I contacted longlife the closest fitting centre was in sussex.

LeeT5
Friday 24th September 2010, 11:54
Just so everyone is clear...Jetex are the same as Ferrita. The zausts are identical. I had a Ferrita cat back on my 850 T5 and it was awesome. Not loud but with a noticable burble on idle. She didn't really shout until you were on WOT....pure nice sound. I personnaly would not go the custom route.

Flatout Phil
Friday 24th September 2010, 12:02
Just so everyone is clear...Jetex are the same as Ferrita. The zausts are identical. I had a Ferrita cat back on my 850 T5 and it was awesome. Not loud but with a noticable burble on idle. She didn't really shout until you were on WOT....pure nice sound. I personnaly would not go the custom route.

I have a Jetex too. It isn't offensively loud (like Jerry's ;) - not really mate :)) but I recently had a VOC member from up the road, knock on my door saying how much he liked the car, and said it sounded "absolutely gorgeous going past". It has a good burble and growls under power, but doesn't get on your t:its too much on a long run.

JelT5
Friday 24th September 2010, 12:04
If my exhaust is offensively loud then I'm a happy man Phil :D

Flatout Phil
Friday 24th September 2010, 12:09
If my exhaust is offensively loud then I'm a happy man Phil :D

To be honest, I am waiting for someone else to drive my car so I can actually hear it. It may be the same! Although I think you have the 3" set up (oh lord, there is no un double entendre'd way of typing this) and mine is a mere 2.5". I think you may have had your cat removed too?

JelT5
Friday 24th September 2010, 13:44
To be honest, I am waiting for someone else to drive my car so I can actually hear it. It may be the same! Although I think you have the 3" set up (oh lord, there is no un double entendre'd way of typing this) and mine is a mere 2.5". I think you may have had your cat removed too?

I'll drive it next time I see you Phil if you like? Not sure when that'll be so you may have had another taker by then.

Neither of us are doing too well are we? What with my 3" and your 2.5" *sighs* or should that be *size*?! Have coat will leave etc...

I'm still "catted up" :( Hopefully my exhaust will become even more anti-social when the cat is removed!

Where did you get your pipe rack and sub-atomic particle accelerator? Ikea?

lozccw
Saturday 25th September 2010, 10:58
Canterbury is just down the road from me! where you getting it done? the last time I contacted longlife the closest fitting centre was in sussex.
They have a fitting centre within mr clutch in wincheap now!

Initially I was a bit sceptical of the custom route, and leaning slightly toward buying the jetex.
But I have since spoken to the people at longlife about what I would like from my exhaust, and apparently they can make it exactly how I want it. (slightly louder than standard-but nothing offensive at idle, just a nice subtle burble/but on power progressively louder and more growly)

I guess I'll find out on monday!!!

(Ill try to post a sound clip with the pics)

The-Les
Saturday 25th September 2010, 13:20
They have a fitting centre within mr clutch in wincheap now!

(Ill try to post a sound clip with the pics)

Will be looking forward to the pics, jetex should have made mine by monday so should be on before the weekend and will put some pics up. I made a de-boxed centre and de-baffled the original backbox but it's not quite enough, but I need a new cat anyway so getting the who lot.

Flatout Phil
Saturday 25th September 2010, 15:08
Neither of us are doing too well are we? What with my 3" and your 2.5" *sighs* or should that be *size*?! Have coat will leave etc...

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy193/charliepippin/2002-05-31.gif

You are more than welcome to drive it by the way - whenever you are passing.

The-Les
Thursday 14th October 2010, 11:08
Jetex arrived today, fitted like a glove! looks quite tasty with the twin pipes and sounds nice and deep on idle, quite crusing on the motorway and loud when the throttle is open. I'm well chuffed with it, now to celebrate with some cheese on toast!

abdul
Thursday 14th October 2010, 18:14
any pics

lozccw
Thursday 14th October 2010, 21:01
Yes, pics please!!!!

It's good to hear the jetex systems fit so well, (wish I could say the same about mine!!)
OK, so I had my exhaust fitted by longlife in canterbury. (sorry It's taken so long to post the result)

I'll start from the beginning...
Took the car in at 9am, was then told that the appointment was for a "measure up", not to actually have the system fitted.

After half an hour of "discussing" with the fitters and receptionist, found out that the car was indeed having the system fitted and the parts were in a box hidden in the corner of the workshop.

Chose my tailpipe design, and discussed with the fitter what I wanted from the system, and went away with instructions to return at about 5:00-5:30pm

I returned at about 5:15pm to find my car still up on the ramp, Boxes still on the bench being welded up (I would rather wait longer and have it done right, so I was ok with that).

The system was finally finished at about 7:00pm, at first inspection looked ok, and sounded nice, so I paid and took the car home.

The following day I noticed a knocking sound, stopped and had a look to find that the tailpipes were right across to one side of the opening and banging on the bumper, and the tailpipes had what looked like melted plastic on them. Went back to Mr clutch (longlife) to get it sorted, and was told that I would have to BOOK the car in to have it fixed (no cost) and the earliest appointment they could offer was the following weekend, meaning that I had to drive the car around banging on my bumper for a whole week!

So anyway, took it back the following week and the fitter re-made the mountings (which were pulling the back box across, not supporting it), and I was told that the "plastic" will come off with a good clean.

I have since been underneath the car and had a good look at the workmanship, and I could best describe the fit and finish as "ADEQUATE".
The welds are OK, the bending on the pipes is OK but could be neater, the mounting brackets leave something to be desired (the mounting rubbers don't even sit correctly anymore), and the tailpipes (although neat are let down by the melted plastic- that I have still not been able to remove), the sound however is spot on!

I'm now considering taking the system to a friend of mine who is a metalworker, who's welds and attention to detail I KNOW are spot on and getting him to fix the mountings,check the welds, and try to sort the tailpipes. I know I would lose my warranty, but if this is the original fitting, then what is the warranty really worth??

Needless to say if I need another exhaust I won't be returning to longlife in canterbury, and I won't be recommending the canterbury branch to anyone (That's not to say that any other longlife branch will be like this)

hope nobody thinks I'm being an A-hole about it, I just want it to be right!
(any oppinions would be greatly appreciated)
Anyway.. current pics.

The-Les
Friday 15th October 2010, 12:39
**** that sounds like a knightmare. mine took ages to be delivered but fitted it myself in about an hour. All the mounting bracket are the same as standard too with replacement stainless bolts and the lambada sensors are in almost the same place as bofore I have noteced a considerable difference in performance or was is just the sound?

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/the-les/th_IMAG0093.jpg (http://s620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/the-les/?action=view&current=IMAG0093.jpg)

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/the-les/th_IMAG0092.jpg (http://s620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/the-les/?action=view&current=IMAG0092.jpg)

she's a but grubby and needs a bath but she seems pleased.

The-Les
Friday 15th October 2010, 12:48
Yes, pics please!!!!

Needless to say if I need another exhaust I won't be returning to longlife in canterbury, and I won't be recommending the canterbury branch to anyone (That's not to say that any other longlife branch will be like this)

hope nobody thinks I'm being an A-hole about it, I just want it to be right!
(any oppinions would be greatly appreciated)
Anyway.. current pics.

I have done a bit a TIG welding in my time and I would have been sacked if I had left the wealds looking like that, with out polishing them up.

jez.w
Friday 15th October 2010, 14:21
I have had a similar experience with Longlife with a different branch in London area. I took my car (not Volvo) back twice and had various tweeks done but it never fitted properly. The knocking noises and vibration were terrible and i didnt enjoy driving the car anymore. I did complain to a chap at head office, one of which offered that i could drive up to Cardiff branch and he would look at it himself and pay for a travel lodge overnight and pay 50 quid towards the fuel. I didnt take them up on that offer as it would have taken up a whole weekend and i didnt have the time. I decided to take it back again to the original branch (1 hour drive each way) but the bad fitment was never resolved. I think they did give me some petrol money on both occasions without any hastle. So customer service was good but the exhaust never did fit properly. I was told by various people that the car (GT4 celica) is a very dificult car to fit a bigger exhaust to because the space is very tight over the rear suspension. In the end i removed the longlife exhaust and binned it. I bought a Mongoose exhaust which fits perfectly and was cheaper too. It is still fitted to this day and has been perfect.

I think Longlife is expensive for an exhaust which is likely not to be as good fit as an off the shelf one. You seem to pay more for a lesser quality exhaust regarding fitment and poor welds etc. The welding on my longlife exhaust was not very good.

The-Les
Wednesday 27th October 2010, 09:56
lozccw any more news?

lozccw
Thursday 28th October 2010, 22:57
Sorry for the delay, been in Leicester with family!

I've had a look as best as I can with the car on the ground (not very easy-car is lowered 100mm+)
I'm going to get right underneath with the jacks etc and have a proper look next weekend.
from what I can see the unsightly welds/bends could be disguised with a coat of black heatproof paint, the back box has a random piece of metal left welded onto it where the old mis-fitting bracket was cut from (the new better bracket was welded in a different location) but I can neaten this up/remove it with my dremmel etc, The bend over the rear axle has been done in two pieces (that don't line up properly) then the gap filled with weld until the bends meet-so that will need neatening up too, and I can get the 'melted plastic' off with some wire wool then just re-polish the trims.
(Not really major issues detrimental to the operation of the exhaust or car, mainly attention to detail and professionalism- but at a cost of nearly £400 shouldn't attention to detail be included?)

Longlife are aware of this thread, and as a result I have received an answerphone message offering to fix my system (I'm impressed with them for taking the time to look through forums and make sure their customers are happy, and obviously offering to fix things if they are not)
However I don't think I'm going to take them up on their offer, mainly because:
A: I don't want to return to the canterbury branch and the other local branches are either london or hastings way
B: I'm self employed so taking time off work is expensive, and free weekends are scarce.
C: As I mentioned earlier, I can fix the issues myself and obviously I know that I will be happy with the result.

I will post more pics up soon!

Longlife Jason
Tuesday 2nd November 2010, 09:34
Sorry for the delay, been in Leicester with family!

I've had a look as best as I can with the car on the ground (not very easy-car is lowered 100mm+)
I'm going to get right underneath with the jacks etc and have a proper look next weekend.
from what I can see the unsightly welds/bends could be disguised with a coat of black heatproof paint, the back box has a random piece of metal left welded onto it where the old mis-fitting bracket was cut from (the new better bracket was welded in a different location) but I can neaten this up/remove it with my dremmel etc, The bend over the rear axle has been done in two pieces (that don't line up properly) then the gap filled with weld until the bends meet-so that will need neatening up too, and I can get the 'melted plastic' off with some wire wool then just re-polish the trims.
(Not really major issues detrimental to the operation of the exhaust or car, mainly attention to detail and professionalism- but at a cost of nearly £400 shouldn't attention to detail be included?)

Longlife are aware of this thread, and as a result I have received an answerphone message offering to fix my system (I'm impressed with them for taking the time to look through forums and make sure their customers are happy, and obviously offering to fix things if they are not)
However I don't think I'm going to take them up on their offer, mainly because:
A: I don't want to return to the canterbury branch and the other local branches are either london or hastings way
B: I'm self employed so taking time off work is expensive, and free weekends are scarce.
C: As I mentioned earlier, I can fix the issues myself and obviously I know that I will be happy with the result.

I will post more pics up soon!

Hi to all in this forum. My name is Jason and I look after all of the Longlife Franchises across the country. I became aware of this thread while I was on holiday and asked one of my colleagues to contact the customer with the issues. Customer service is something I take extremely seriously and seeing that someone hasn't had the best exhaust system possible for the money is always disappointing.

The depot in Canterbury has had a couple of issues which I have now had to intervene with to ensure the customer was not left unhappy which again is disappointing. The owners of that depot have never gone out to produce unsatisfactory work but circumstances have sometimes conspired against them.

For reasons other than the issues described here the Canterbury depot is now no longer part of the Longlife network - in fact I believe that the owners have sold their main business concern and gone to new pastures.

As a general rule, a good custom built exhaust will always be a better fit for your car than any off the shelf system as it is built specifically for that particular vehicle. If anybody on here has any concerns at all with any of our Franchises, they are always more than welome to call me direct at Head Office on 01308 422282 to discuss them. 99% of the time we get it perfectly right (just see other forum comments on the internet from customers which should back that statement up). Sometimes we get it wrong but I can assure you we'll always do our best to ensure a happy customer at the end of the day. Clearly this system wasn't a good example of our work and for that I appologise.

Kind Regards

Jason Freeman
Longlife Stainless Steel Exhausts